Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 12:50:03 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2019, 12:17:33 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 11:50:34 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2019, 05:50:16 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 26, 2019, 05:14:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2019, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 26, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
Loads to talk about and no Dublin fan I know is taking this lightly - this is a serious Kerry team, who beat Mayo by the same score as us, and didn't have to struggle in the first half to do so.

Unfortunately, any discussion of the game gets sidetracked here always. Prefer now to do the chatting IRL because online is just a snake eating itself.

Mayo were flogged twice this year! First they had to play 3 weeks in a row to Down (away), Armagh (home) and Galway (Limerick) while Kerry rested, waited and planed for a home tie against them in week 4.

Same for the game v Dublin Mayo played tough games against Kerry (away), Meath (Croker) and Donegal (home) while a rested Dublin played Cork (Home), Roscommon (home) and played their 'B' team to Tyrone (away).

The lead up to both games left Mayo shagged! Don't get me wrong they would have lost both! But to read anything into either results means nothing as the leads up was not on a level playing field. But hey, the GAA is full of non level playing fields.

Anyway, Up the Dubs! Really hope ye do it!

Mayo had that route because they lost to Roscommon. That has nothing to do with non-level playing fields - every county risks a long trip through the qualifiers if they lose early. It didn't cost them in other campaigns.

Look at the rest time in other campaigns! No excuses for the defeats, just they went into both those games shagged! And the lead up games had an effect on the manner of their defeats. If you think otherwise you clearly do not have any idea of recovery time from bruising intercounty games.

Sure they lost to Roscommon! But does this mean that you have to treat amateur players like dogs for this?

If you are not happy with losers going back into the AI competition. Then feck them out when they lose, don't be putting them in unrealistic situations.

Best of Luck in the final! I'll be cheering for you! (I'll be cheering for you in next years final as well!)

Amazingly the system is set up to treat any players on any team "like dogs" when you lose your first game. You're coming across like a real child here.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche".

Apparently you think its alright to equate my opinions on the GAA with the homicidal indifference of the wife of a historical tyrant.

You think that is ok because

1. You don't know me
2. Hey its the internet and
3. My own hurt as a Mayo fan crushed by an unfair system cannot be in any way equated with the experience of, or understood by, a Dublin fan, who is part of this elite.

Those rationalisations are fundamentally immature, hence my comment about you acting like a child.

Like you (I assume) I get up and work hard every day. Like you (I assume) I take my son to the local GAA club and help out with training and matches (when I can, I'm not a martyr to it). Like you (I assume) I've played both club and schools GAA, though I never played senior for my club, and my modest achievements were all at colleges level. Like you (I know) I follow my county passionately.

Unlike you, I can ascribe all those values and characteristics to you without having met you.

I've spent a large part of my professional life producing and directing television coverage of GAA sports - I've been to most of the county grounds in the country and met volunteers for clubs and counties at every ground we've pitched up at. I've always treated those people with the same respect I would expect if they were pitching up at my club. And that fundamental extension of respect seems to be beyond you.

There are numerous threads for Dublin funding issues. I (and probably a lot of others) would like to discuss the game on Sunday on this thread. Perhaps you could extend us that respect?

A bit of cop on would not go amiss.

The system is broken, EasyTiger. Marie Antoinette didn't understand that either.
You can't run a sports competition when one team wins way in advance and the administrators don't care.

"The sight of a once vicious rivalry surviving on life support is the GAA's primetime product on the third weekend of June in 2019.
So finishes the decade with the Leinster football championship in ruin as any sense of competitiveness is lost. An era that begun with Meath thumping Dublin to the tune of 5-9 to 0-13 in this very fixture concludes with no provincial rivalry to speak about."

"Dublin are a long, long way in front of anyone else," said Colm O'Rourke.
"And maybe the gap is getting bigger all the time. There's no semblance of Dublin being sated by their success so far. It looks as if they want to win, win, win.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/dublin-already-odds-six-row-18920594

I don't think Dublin all Ireland wins are valid any more, in fact. Because they get advantages nobody else does.
Why not take the tournament out of the hands of the GAA and put some decent sports administrators in control ?

And once again I am being equated with Marie Antionette. With the greatest of respect Seafoid, you are missing my point completely.

seafoid

I was making the point that the current football system is broken
The French system of government was also broken but that doesn't equate you to her
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

easytiger95

The system is broken, EasyTiger. Marie Antoinette didn't understand that either.

That clearly does equate me to her.

If you want to make a point about the broken state of the football championship there are plenty of threads you can use or you can start one yourself.

There are plenty of people who don't agree with your analysis. It doesn't make them blind/fools/elitists.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 01:48:33 PM

If you want to make a point about the broken state of the football championship there are plenty of threads you can use or you can start one yourself.

There are plenty of people who don't agree with your analysis. It doesn't make them blind/fools/elitists.
I never said anyone was an elitist or a fool.
I do think a lot of things are going to change in the coming years.
The French Revolution was similar. 

There are enough fans who have given up going to matches to fit the thesis.
Let's see how the attendances look for this year

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 12:50:03 PM
"Dublin are a long, long way in front of anyone else," said Colm O'Rourke.
"And maybe the gap is getting bigger all the time. There's no semblance of Dublin being sated by their success so far. It looks as if they want to win, win, win.
The same Mr O'Rourke who said in 2011 when Dublin won their first senior All Ireland since 1995 "this Dublin All Ireland win will be great for football" ?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 27, 2019, 08:47:09 AM
I see Daithi o Se wiped up dog piss with a Dublin jersey. While amusing to some, and probably to most of the sore losers on here, that jersey means a lot to a lot of people and is highly disrepectful. Or is too much to expect some respect from our country brethren, it probably is, similiar incident a few years ago Meath fans were burning Dublin flags outside Croke Park, a soccer mentality it seems exist.

What sort of ignorant buffoon disrespects a county jersey? I thought that would have been understood in Kerry of all places. 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

easytiger95

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 02:55:46 PM

No, you just compared me to an elitist and a fool. As did FTB. For a man who lives and dies by links and written evidence on this board, you're great for avoiding the implications of your own words.

As for the rest, the point remains the same. There are numerous different threads to expound your views on these matters. Is it too much to ask you discuss it on those and let the match be discussed here?

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 04:01:38 PM

No, you just compared me to an elitist and a fool. As did FTB. For a man who lives and dies by links and written evidence on this board, you're great for avoiding the implications of your own words.

As for the rest, the point remains the same. There are numerous different threads to expound your views on these matters. Is it too much to ask you discuss it on those and let the match be discussed here?
Using a quote by someone or comparing a situation to now does not imply anything about you. Sorry
I don't know anything about you.

The match will be over when the Dubs start the ritual handpassing 

easytiger95

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 04:26:53 PM

Using a quote by someone or comparing a situation to now does not imply anything about you. Sorry

No you don't know anything about me, otherwise you wouldn't have have compared my lack of knowledge of the broken state of football, to Marie Antoinette's wilful ignorance of the state of the French citizenry prior to the revolution. There is a fairly big implication there. Sorry.

In terms of the match, anyone who thinks Dublin are going to have it easy are discounting a few factors

1. Dublin always start slow in All Ireland finals this decade, even against Tyrone last year the first 20 minutes were a mare (and I think Tyrone didn't have the firepower that Kerry have this year)
2. Dublin's fullback gives up nearly as many chances as Kerry's - for the past five years it has been mentioned as a weakness but no one has been able to exploit it fully (not since Donegal 14 and Kerry 13). A forward unit containing Clifford, Shea, Geaney, O'Brien et al are as good as that line has faced in years - getting possession in to them will be vital.
3. Kerry's defeat of Mayo was as impressive, in its way, as ours. They put them to bed very early and were never out of control. Allowances can be made because it was not knock out, but the divergence in the formline is not as big as the bookies would suggest.
4. The return of Sean Walsh could be a real fly in the ointment for that Dublin full back line. Cooper, Mick Fitz and Davey Byrne would need to have two men on him to contest the ball and win the knockdown and none of them are as good aerially as prime time Rory O'Carroll (given his performance in Tyrone he is not going to be first sub in).

So, I think if there is any ritual handpassing to be done, it will only be in the dying seconds. This has the makings of a shootout and I'm drooling at the prospect.

Zulu

I agree Easytiger95. I think this could be a great game, Kerry have had time to game plan for Dublin and, certainly, from midfield up they match up quite well. Their backs will be under pressure but I think their weakness is way overstated and the Dubs aren't robots, they can underperform. Kerry have the firepower to make this a great final and I genuinely hope it is, irrespective of the result.

I'm looking forward to it and I'm fascinated to see what way Kerry will approach this.

seafoid

The Dubs need a strong competitor but this is iteration 1 of this
Kerry team . The Dubs may of course take pleasure in dominating them and imposing the ritual handpassing on them to show who is in charge.

We really need to see the championship attendance figures.

dublin7

I think Kerry have to start well. If Dublin get a lead early it could be difficult for Kerry especially as its the 1st final for alot of the Kerry lads.

How they use Tommy Walsh will be interesting.  I can't see him lasting 70+min but if they're under pressure at half time I can see him being sent on as a target man.

If you're going to beat Dublin you'll need to score goals and that's what gives Kerry a chance. Early goal and they get their tails up you never know...

I belivee Dubs experience and know how will be enough amd they'll win by 3/4 points

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 04:50:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 04:26:53 PM

No you don't know anything about me, otherwise you wouldn't have have compared my lack of knowledge of the broken state of football, to Marie Antoinette's wilful ignorance of the state of the French citizenry prior to the revolution. There is a fairly big implication there. Sorry.
There is a link between the state of play before the French Revolution and GF now. It has nothing to do with you .
Get a grip

Zulu

Quote from: dublin7 on August 27, 2019, 05:46:22 PM
I think Kerry have to start well. If Dublin get a lead early it could be difficult for Kerry especially as its the 1st final for alot of the Kerry lads.

How they use Tommy Walsh will be interesting.  I can't see him lasting 70+min but if they're under pressure at half time I can see him being sent on as a target man.

If you're going to beat Dublin you'll need to score goals and that's what gives Kerry a chance. Early goal and they get their tails up you never know...

I belivee Dubs experience and know how will be enough amd they'll win by 3/4 points

Kerry definitely need to score more goals than the Dubs to win but they have the players to do that. I'd imagine Kerry won't go defensive but they will be conscious of not conceding a goal early, or at all if they can. Therefore they may not defend overly aggressively but keep the Dubs on the outside and let them shoot for points in the belief that they can reel them in if their 2-4 behind but if they fall 6 or 7 behind they could be in trouble.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 26, 2019, 05:26:49 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 26, 2019, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 26, 2019, 04:20:44 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 26, 2019, 03:34:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 26, 2019, 03:17:29 PM
I don't think that's the reason to be fair. There are very few Dublin or Kerry posters here which is the main reason there's no much discussion. I'm really looking forward to the game and think it could be a great game. Two teams with better forwards than defenders, two teams with a willingness to play an open brand of football. Yes, Dublin are likely winners and may even run out comfortable winners but I felt all year that Kerry are the team with the best shot at upsetting the Dubs and if they get on top in midfield a shock isn't out of the question. I hope Kerry go for it and see how far it gets them.

Kerry have little chance in reality, and that's why there's not much interest never mind excitement, outside of the two counties involved.
The only reason people think Kerry have a chance is because they're Kerry.
That's it in a nutshell. I might place bet on the margin of Dublin's win just to make it a more interesting watch. Any suggestions on the margin?

Kerry have a bit of a chance because they have 4 scoring forwards in Seany O'Shea, Stevie O'Brien, Davey Clifford and Paul Geaney.  Its whether they can keep Dublin at Bay the other way which is the big problem.

Two of those forwards are still young lads who won't have faced the intensity and intimidation they are about to face on Sunday.

You need a fairly decent defence to stand a chance v Dublin. In the next year or two they should improve defensively but right now I can't help but think this All Ireland final has come too soon for a Kerry team in transition.
Don't think the inexperience will faze them two lads, they'll give Dublin plenty to think about but unless they've found the equivalent of peak Tyrone/Armagh/Mayo defences from this century they will concede too much to stand a chance.