Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

Was down at Musgrave today with the dog and a soccer team was training on one of ST brigids pitches. the Pitches are in terrible state and looks lije lots of people having been using them. I suppose bigger fences only solution

imtommygunn

Bs any comments on the saffron Gael's portglenone best 15?? I would expect it to provoke some debate haha.

bannside

To be fair it's a good selection I wouldnt have any major problem with it ITG. Kevin Kidd himself (the author) would definitely have made it if someone else had been writing it. I liked the way he said Tony Convery was the finest ever. I would share that view too from what I've seen..although Tony Mc Atamney was out on his own for the decade he gave Antrim and Ulster as well as Casements. Kevin Madden was something else too for a few big years before his condition stopped him from playing on. Good to see Niall Breslin there too...I'll contend that if him and Alastair Mc Donnell (what a player - captain Antrim minors for 3 years) there would have been a few more medals around.

Milltown Row2

It threw up a few discussions within our WhatsApp group when our clubs best 15 went up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: bannside on June 07, 2020, 06:38:12 PM
To be fair it's a good selection I wouldnt have any major problem with it ITG. Kevin Kidd himself (the author) would definitely have made it if someone else had been writing it. I liked the way he said Tony Convery was the finest ever. I would share that view too from what I've seen..although Tony Mc Atamney was out on his own for the decade he gave Antrim and Ulster as well as Casements. Kevin Madden was something else too for a few big years before his condition stopped him from playing on. Good to see Niall Breslin there too...I'll contend that if him and Alastair Mc Donnell (what a player - captain Antrim minors for 3 years) there would have been a few more medals around.

Yeah there were a few boys peaked or traveled quite young. Always thought Paul storey was superb too but seemed to drop off the scene for whatever reason. I would have played against these boys more from underage. Very good selection though.

It's a great idea mr. Not too many pre noughties players on st galls team which I am sure ruffled a few feathers.

City Dweller

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on June 06, 2020, 07:37:10 PM
Was down at Musgrave today with the dog and a soccer team was training on one of ST brigids pitches. the Pitches are in terrible state and looks lije lots of people having been using them. I suppose bigger fences only solution

St Brigids (Committee?) Members down at Musgrave tonight I see, asking people to clear both pitches.

Na Glinntí Glasa

very hard to control pitches when there's no one around to keep an eye on it all the time sadly.

we had to put individuals off ours at the very start of this but since then no one has been on using them. Its just a case of continuously putting that message out there that no one is allowed to use them or train on them.

Thankfully its not long to go now!
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: hardstation on June 09, 2020, 10:04:00 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 09, 2020, 09:50:37 AM
very hard to control pitches when there's no one around to keep an eye on it all the time sadly.

we had to put individuals off ours at the very start of this but since then no one has been on using them. Its just a case of continuously putting that message out there that no one is allowed to use them or train on them.

The individuals on your pitch are likely to have been members or have some association with your club/community. The Brigid's problem is that their pitch is in the middle of a busy public park. It's going to be difficult to get the message to every Tom, Dick & Harry. It's going to be even more difficult to get them to care.

Aw def i agree with that, its much more difficult for them to keep folk off their pitch.

on a better note its good to see the walk way busy there this morning around ours. I was around it there this morning and theres a good few taking advantage of it
hurl like f**k boi!

BigBallWeeBall

The individuals on your pitch are likely to have been members or have some association with your club/community. The Brigid's problem is that their pitch is in the middle of a busy public park. It's going to be difficult to get the message to every Tom, Dick & Harry. It's going to be even more difficult to get them to care.

The major problem for St Brides is that I'm not sure it's really a 'GAA' pitch as the council own it. Would Croke be able wield power over council pitches? It would be hard and unfair to penalise a club in these circumstances

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on June 09, 2020, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on June 09, 2020, 09:05:45 PM

The major problem for St Brides is that I'm not sure it's really a 'GAA' pitch as the council own it. Would Croke be able wield power over council pitches? It would be hard and unfair to penalise a club in these circumstances
Sorry, I didn't realise the council owned it. In that case, I'm not sure why their members would give much of a shite that people are on it.

I think they have a management agreement with the council. The council maintain the pitch but ultimately St Brides are still responsible for who uses it.?

Milltown Row2

I doubt Croke Park would actually do anything when non members have climbed a fence and played soccer on a 'council' pitch

Jesus slow news days! Non story be different if your manager held a proper training session on their own pitch!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They can't be policed 24 7. As long as it's not "sanctioned " or encouraged I am sure not much would be done. Plenty of pitches very open so difficult to police.

bannside

Young fellas climbing over a gate and kicking a ball around. What is West Belfast coming to. That place is in disarray. Wouldnt have seen behaviour like that when our generation was that age!

Should be emergency powers drafted to swoop as many of those lads and put them away for a long time for terrorising the community.

JimStynes

Quote from: bannside on June 10, 2020, 07:28:22 AM
Young fellas climbing over a gate and kicking a ball around. What is West Belfast coming to. That place is in disarray. Wouldnt have seen behaviour like that when our generation was that age!

Should be emergency powers drafted to swoop as many of those lads and put them away for a long time for terrorising the community.

Was thinking the same thing. Though it would be frustrating arriving back and the pitch not being in good shape before games start back.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: JimStynes on June 10, 2020, 09:12:54 AM
Quote from: bannside on June 10, 2020, 07:28:22 AM

Was thinking the same thing. Though it would be frustrating arriving back and the pitch not being in good shape before games start back.

The main pitch in musgrave is yellow