Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

For the draw to be legit under current legislation , every person taking part, has to be a member of the club.  Surely they could make everyone an Honorary member for the draw ?

naka

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 25, 2019, 10:41:29 PM
Lotto I have to agree with Wobbler, that's one crass and disrespectful remark, take Mayobridges post for what it is.
Tickets I believe far in excess of the number needed and that's from a reliable source.
I heard 4 separate complaints about the draw caused the psni stir.
The issue is clearly that they are in breach of the gambling rules.
They should have set up a special class of membership at £100 with everyone getting free entry into a draw for a house.( or something along those lines).
Clearly an unfortunate episode.

Sportacus

There are some very hard working people behind the scenes in Mayobridge.  I hope they find a way through this and the powers that be can give us all some clarity for the future.  Anyone casting negativity at this should maybe just keep their thoughts to themselves, or better still roll their own sleeves up and do a bit of ticket selling for their own club, generally a thankless task. 

In the bigger picture, GAA clubs, and other sports, do such great work giving young people a pathway, it amazes me that more public funding isn't available.  It's wasted on so many other things.

APM

Could they finish up better off if most people don't ask for their money back and they still have the house?

befair

Kilcoo seem to be coming into form and most likely to finish top; disappointing to see Clonduff's challenge fade, as I thought they looked very strong earlier in the year. Surprised to see Mayobridge in the relegation dogfight

Square Ball

Quote from: befair on August 01, 2019, 01:28:43 PM
Kilcoo seem to be coming into form and most likely to finish top; disappointing to see Clonduff's challenge fade, as I thought they looked very strong earlier in the year. Surprised to see Mayobridge in the relegation dogfight
Some dogfight indeed, 4 teams joint bottom on 10 points and 1 on 12, going down to the wire. Into championship so may see the odd strange result
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Last Caress

Top four is looking tight too

Cuan12

Does this mean the mighty Warrenpoint are no longer  in the top 4 in the county, I think smurfy was banging on about it earlier, any shocks forecast in the championship, can't see the point winning

befair

The championship seems a dead duck, i detect v little interest. It's either Kilcoo or Burren, and the back door renders all the early games fairly meaningless

maldini

What makes you think there's no interest in it

ApresMatch

Quote from: befair on August 09, 2019, 05:59:21 PM
The championship seems a dead duck, i detect v little interest. It's either Kilcoo or Burren, and the back door renders all the early games fairly meaningless

Let me guess, you're 'a glass half empty' kinda guy?

Cuan12

Betfair, just sit at home, no point on you going to any matches, you must of stood outside some games and took a straw poll to gage interest, your typical of a minority of supporters who just like to moan.

thewobbler

I'd say you would have to go back to 2002 or so to find the last time the Down SFC was anything but a one horse or two horse race.

This doesn't make it a dead duck, but personally I've never seen the need/will for a back door in an uncompetitive championship. In this year's iteration, the chances of both Burren and Kilcoo being beaten twice by anyone other than each other, would be next to none. So when we all re-enter as back door teams, it's sadly just to make up the numbers.

After seeing Glasdrumman pulling out this week, it put a feeling in my head that if it was possible for clubs to indicate pre-championship whether they wish to use or decline a "back door pass", I'd expect 50%+ of clubs would decline.

Hopefully our championship gets more competitive soon.

befair

Quote from: maldini on August 09, 2019, 09:56:13 PM
What makes you think there's no interest in it

The scarcity of comments on this forum is just one example

Cuan12

Wobbler , your right that the back door system leads to some mid matches and I sympathise with teams like Glassdrumman who get thumped first day out and don't fancy a repeat dose, a straight knock out competition is what is needed but that will deprive the county of much needed revenue, but that's what's needed to inject a bit of added interest in our championships