The good old days...

Started by Denn Forever, January 24, 2021, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

You could fly business class Heathrow to Dublin paid by work the Friday of the football all Ireland, get free wine and chocolates and the footballers won.

Now it's all economy and the Dubs
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Reading the albums of the week on a Friday and you go out and buy Portishead or Leftfield.
Seeing Fluke live.

BennyCake

Having to watch Top of the Pops to find out what was number 1.

The first time hearing the Sunday Game theme you knew the summer was here.

seafoid

Watching the all ireland semis in 91 expecting Kerry to beat the Ulster team they were playing because they always did. Getting interested when Down took the lead. That Linden corner forward was special.

BennyCake

Jackie Fullerton as BBC NI's GAA anchorman. Those were the days!

Michael Lyster's half And half jersey on AI final day.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 28, 2021, 09:21:32 PM
Watching the all ireland semis in 91 expecting Kerry to beat the Ulster team they were playing because they always did. Getting interested when Down took the lead. That Linden corner forward was special.

90's? They seem recent!!

Galway 80, my first final I can remember, playing primary school games on all weather gravel pitches ( still grit in my knees)

The summer riots, the weekly house raids, the daily explosions, the normality of it all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Taylor on January 27, 2021, 02:34:05 PM
Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman

Any others?

Gasman

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on January 27, 2021, 11:19:14 PM
Delivery men were a big thing. Breadmen knew everyone in the country and carried a range of non bakery items, notably newspapers.

Quote from: weareros on January 27, 2021, 09:27:09 PM
Waiting for a song you liked on the radio, quickly pressing record on your wonky cassette recorder and hoping the tape wouldn't get all mangled inside or Vincent Hanley or one of the DJs wouldn't talk over the ending. Spotify and the like have  just sucked the joy out of it all.

If you were really sophisticated you used a plug with a DIN plug to connect the radio to the tape player. Of course it was still pretty crap.

My dad did that for years. The last run he had before retiring from it was around Markekhill, I used to cover for him on his summer holidays. A couple of loaves and a newspaper was a standard delivery around most of the houses. A few copies of the Irish News around Whitecross, but everywhere else it was all the Newsletter.

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2021, 09:24:40 PM
Jackie Fullerton as BBC NI's GAA anchorman. Those were the days!

Michael Lyster's half And half jersey on AI final day.

Declan Bogue wrote a great article about that. Jackie was a huge advocate of the GAA. Jim Neilly as well.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/fenian-games-letters-from-sinn-f%C3%A9in-and-the-birth-of-gaa-on-bbc-ni-1.4242784

Taylor

The smell of freshly cut grass
Long hot Summers

Both of these just dont seem the same nowadays

Orior

After years of watching black & white, I remember the first time ever seeing a colour television. What was even more amazing was watching a soccer match and seeing green grass.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 29, 2021, 01:12:43 PM
After years of watching black & white, I remember the first time ever seeing a colour television. What was even more amazing was watching a soccer match and seeing green grass.

Or noticing the balls were a different colour is snooker!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2021, 01:14:31 PM

Ted Lowe was the man to save that! 

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2021, 01:14:31 PM

But the first colour TV we had we couldn't tell the difference in the brown ball from the reds..

ITT six push in buttons on the top right corner.

I remember telling a nephew about them and he thought I was taking the piss out of him.

STREET FIGHTER

The good old days...

I remember the time when the Gaaboard was a great place to visit...

Plenty of great topics.....oppurtunity to learn........take on other peoples thoughts/opinions...brilliant characters....who could all respectfully debate....

Lately it has been absolutely polluted by one member and its leaving it impossible to read many of the great threads...

Its a real shame.....