Players dropping out for Championship

Started by Rossfan, April 16, 2019, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

So far I've heard of Ódhran Mac Néilís and 4 lads from Longford.
Ros already without Ciaráin Murtagh, Cathal Compton and No all McInerney since start of the season.
It used to be that some lads gave the NFL a miss but the Championship..... :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

This is possibly me second guessing a little but having read a bit round Ódhran Mac Néilís I think he is struggling a bit with the death of that fella who I think was a friend in Gaoth Dobhair so spending a load of time playing football likely last thing on his mind. There's at least one antrim one dropped out and then O"Neill for Tyrone.

Fuzzman

O'Neill from Tyrone was well down the list of forwards and knew he wouldn't get his game so probably thought he'd be better spending a summer in America. Young Mark Bradley though will be badly missed as I think he's USA bound too or is he working somewhere else?

toby47

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 16, 2019, 04:47:08 PM
O'Neill from Tyrone was well down the list of forwards and knew he wouldn't get his game so probably thought he'd be better spending a summer in America. Young Mark Bradley though will be badly missed as I think he's USA bound too or is he working somewhere else?

Studying in Liverpool this year & heading to the states for the summer

Dinny Breen

Kildare

Dan Flynn still out
Niall Kelly back from his traveling still not confirmed he will be back
Aaron Masterson has dropped out
James Murray has dropped out

Masterson was last years All-Ireland u20 winning captain.  We don't have the depth to lose Dan Flynn, in my opinion the best full forward in the country last year, Niall Kelly and Masterson, one of the best young midfielders in the country.

I don't blame them, zero craic playing inter-county football. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 18, 2019, 10:42:02 AM
Kildare

Dan Flynn still out

Masterson was last years All-Ireland u20 winning captain.  We don't have the depth to lose Dan Flynn, in my opinion the best full forward in the country last year, Niall Kelly and Masterson, one of the best young midfielders in the country.

Bit of a generalisation there. Plenty of lads love being involved with the county. A lot of the enjoyment will come from winning big games and sense of achievement. If the manager has any sense he'll let them enjoy the good days with a few beers. Some managers are too serious no doubt but there's still plenty of enjoyment from playing your sport at the top level and pulling on your county jersey no doubt.

Angelo

Martin O'Reilly now also gone from Donegal. That's Carroll, MacNiallais, Mark McHugh, Martin McElhinney, Stephen McBrearty, Darrach O'Connor and O'Reilly who have opted out for Donegal this year. I'd imagine a few of the squad may not rate Bonner that highly.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 18, 2019, 11:18:29 AM
Kildare

Dan Flynn still out

Bit of a generalisation there. Plenty of lads love being involved with the county. A lot of the enjoyment will come from winning big games and sense of achievement. If the manager has any sense he'll let them enjoy the good days with a few beers. Some managers are too serious no doubt but there's still plenty of enjoyment from playing your sport at the top level and pulling on your county jersey no doubt.

They have been institutionalised from a young age. It's all they know. The penny is already dropping for lots of players. The sacrifice for the have-nots is too much to try and keep up with the haves. There's a reason why a lot of players sooner play with their clubs than their county!
#newbridgeornowhere

toby47

Michael McEvoy, Niall Toner & Declan Hughes away from the Derry panel now as they are playing football in the States this summer

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 18, 2019, 11:53:43 AM
Kildare

Dan Flynn still out

They have been institutionalised from a young age. It's all they know. The penny is already dropping for lots of players. The sacrifice for the have-nots is too much to try and keep up with the haves. There's a reason why a lot of players sooner play with their clubs than their county!

What is so different to playing county football than playing any sport to a decent level? There is plenty of lads willing to do it and I'm sure they enjoy the craic of being part of a team and enjoy playing the game.

I'd imagine they don't actually train that more often as a team than a club rugby player does for example. In Tyrone the county team train on the pitch on a Tuesday and Thursday and have gym on a Wednesday then have a game or train once at the weekend. Would that really be that different to any other sport?

A lot of the complaining seems to come from people not involved.

Redhand Santa

Kildare

Dan Flynn still out

And what exactly does institutionalised mean in relation to young gaa players? Are you seriously trying to say they are brainwashed into training? It's great that there is lads not playing that can read the young lads minds and can tell from the outside whether they enjoy something they give up their time to do.

Dinny Breen

I never said brain washed. Young players who come from development squads are conditioned to believe that training 4/5 times a week is normal, they are told that playing for their county is an honour and a privilege. The club are proud of you, the parish is proud of you, blah! f**king blah! They don't know any different but as the penny drops they drop.

My son will play club football, I wouldn't be encouraging him to play inter-county. Too much of a sacrifice for an amateur sport.
#newbridgeornowhere

toby47

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 18, 2019, 12:09:17 PM
Kildare

Dan Flynn still out

What is so different to playing county football than playing any sport to a decent level? There is plenty of lads willing to do it and I'm sure they enjoy the craic of being part of a team and enjoy playing the game.

I'd imagine they don't actually train that more often as a team than a club rugby player does for example. In Tyrone the county team train on the pitch on a Tuesday and Thursday and have gym on a Wednesday then have a game or train once at the weekend. Would that really be that different to any other sport?

I know it's a one off case but I was fairly recently talking to an ex county footballer and he told me if he was to do it again he wouldn't have played county football. He said there Is zero per cent fun in it, said the only buzz was the couple of weeks before the championship games. Said there was no element of enjoyment what so ever. He said he'd have stuck at club football and enjoyed pints after wins, instead of recovery sessions, food & ice baths after a win playing county football.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: toby47 on April 18, 2019, 12:31:03 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 18, 2019, 12:09:17 PM
Kildare

Dan Flynn still out

I know it's a one off case but I was fairly recently talking to an ex county footballer and he told me if he was to do it again he wouldn't have played county football. He said there Is zero per cent fun in it, said the only buzz was the couple of weeks before the championship games. Said there was no element of enjoyment what so ever. He said he'd have stuck at club football and enjoyed pints after wins, instead of recovery sessions, food & ice baths after a win playing county football.

Anecdotal but there are hundreds of these type of stories out there. 
#newbridgeornowhere

J70

Quote from: Angelo on April 18, 2019, 11:52:14 AM
Martin O'Reilly now also gone from Donegal. That's Carroll, MacNiallais, Mark McHugh, Martin McElhinney, Stephen McBrearty, Darrach O'Connor and O'Reilly who have opted out for Donegal this year. I'd imagine a few of the squad may not rate Bonner that highly.

In MacNiallais' case, he's just been through a very long club season and the loss of some close friends in that car accident.

The rest barely featured last year so I guess they just weren't willing to make the commitment. I'm sure if they were getting a game, things might have been different, at least for some of them.