Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Eamonn Fitzmaurice also very complimentary of Armagh's keeper in his column today.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 30, 2019, 08:01:38 PM
Again you're alluding to the fact that no 5 may have been justified in his actions and somethiing may have happened beforehand that meant he deserved to be shoved.   Why continue to grasp at straws and not just call it out for what everyone else can see .... a trampish act?

A trampish act? Coming from the home of the trampish acts, that is laughable.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: APM on July 01, 2019, 04:00:27 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on July 01, 2019, 11:43:13 AM

The goalkeeping situation needs addressing before Christmas.  There are surely better options. 

There is definite progress with that Armagh side. We are still forward heavy.  Midfield area has strengthened though with JOB, Grimley, Sheridan and O O'Neill. My concern would be with the half back line.  It's an area that i do not feel we are getting enough out of.

On the question of the goalkeeper, we need to be careful what we wish for. The article below sums up exactly what has happened since Hearty's retirement.  Hughes was fantastic in his first year but a few wobbles later and we all have short memories.  There was no silver bullet to the one point loss on Saturday. Some of our best performers kicked bad wides, we gave away some soft frees, indiscipline caused some to be moved into score-able areas and the referee done us no favours.   Yes, Hughes could have done better on both goals and on kickouts, but presumably if there was a better keeper out there they would be in the fold.  Others like O'Neill and Shields, made some terrible decisions but I don't see so much focus on them. I hope we don't end up doing to Blaine Hughes, what was done to McEvoy. 

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/armagh-closing-in-on-a-solution-to-goalkeeping-riddle-35999066.html

I think we look back at Hearty with rose tinted glasses. He made his fair share of blunders, remember against Donegal in Ballybofey when he was easily knocked and he dropped it into the net as an example. Remember how often he could kick it out over the sideline. It was no golden age.

rosnarun

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 01, 2019, 05:06:18 PM
Again you're alluding to the fact that no 5 may have been justified in his actions and somethiing may have happened beforehand that meant he deserved to be shoved.   Why continue to grasp at straws and not just call it out for what everyone else can see .... a trampish act?

[/quoteDont worry that  OLD man he  hit was a garda inspector if it kicked off he have 20 Cops kcking the crap out of him in a flash
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

APM

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 01, 2019, 05:10:26 PM

The goalkeeping situation needs addressing before Christmas.  There are surely better options. 

There is definite progress with that Armagh side. We are still forward heavy.  Midfield area has strengthened though with JOB, Grimley, Sheridan and O O'Neill. My concern would be with the half back line.  It's an area that i do not feel we are getting enough out of.

On the question of the goalkeeper, we need to be careful what we wish for. The article below sums up exactly what has happened since Hearty's retirement.  Hughes was fantastic in his first year but a few wobbles later and we all have short memories.  There was no silver bullet to the one point loss on Saturday. Some of our best performers kicked bad wides, we gave away some soft frees, indiscipline caused some to be moved into score-able areas and the referee done us no favours.   Yes, Hughes could have done better on both goals and on kickouts, but presumably if there was a better keeper out there they would be in the fold.  Others like O'Neill and Shields, made some terrible decisions but I don't see so much focus on them. I hope we don't end up doing to Blaine Hughes, what was done to McEvoy. 

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/armagh-closing-in-on-a-solution-to-goalkeeping-riddle-35999066.html

I think we look back at Hearty with rose tinted glasses. He made his fair share of blunders, remember against Donegal in Ballybofey when he was easily knocked and he dropped it into the net as an example. Remember how often he could kick it out over the sideline. It was no golden age.

Indeed, I also remember a few moments of madness - I think in Omagh in the qualifiers in 2011 there was at least one howler where he got caught in possession.

Dire Ear

Classy

BennyCake

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 01, 2019, 05:10:26 PM

He did have a few errors but Hearty was generally very reliable and very good under the high ball. Decent shot stopper too.

Main Street

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 01, 2019, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 10:24:59 AM
I cant believe all the whinging people are doing about The ref here , Jame clarke should have been black carded after about 2 mins if you care to rewind the video now that would have changed the GAme. and peobable 2 more could have got them . almost every time mayo got a free they were blocked from taking it and theis firectly cost them 2 points which would have made all the difference .
I was sitting beside a former Armagh inter county ref who was a referees accessor , he had no problems with deegan apart from the bit of showboating when  he alsmost for got to Show (grugan and Harrison?)
+1
I have to agree with your first paragraph. I can understand Armagh fans feeling they left the game behind but if Mayo had been Dublin or any of the other top teams, Armagh would have been beaten out the gate. That's a bit harsh but it's the objective truth, (IMO of course.)
Mayo had stepped up a gear coming into the closing stages and moved 5 points clear. They then did what Mayo supporters have become used to- they lost concentration and almost blew their chances as Armagh came back at them. That usually happens in every game Mayo is involved i and probably will happen next weekend too, unfortunately.
An RTE NEWS NOW copywriter got it bang on yesterday. The headline read, "Mayo almost manage to lose...." and I can't find fault with that.
As regards Maurice Deegan, Mayo supporters have had their own reasons for giving out about his decision making in a few championship games in recent years. I don't think anyone could say that he favoured us and I saw no reason why I would think he was any different on Saturday. It can be argued that we got a few hairline decisions but he didn't set out to make up for previous games or anything like that.
Arrmagh were just as cynical as Mayo but they didn't get away with as much because Mayo are more experienced at fouling.
I agree with the comments of the Armagh ref (even if he's made up), I've watched some of the game again and say that the showboating was the worst, at a time when the game was in the melting pot, he stopped the game and strolled around like a wannabe Napoleon fussing over nothing.   

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: general_lee on July 01, 2019, 01:03:14 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on July 01, 2019, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 01, 2019, 12:40:12 PM
Yes Armagh missed chances and made wrong decisions. But Deegan influences the outcome of games in a way few other refs do, with the exception perhaps of Joe McQullian.

You lost the game cos Mr "everybody look at me" John Cena decided to shoot when he should have been passing.
Is he buckin your daughter or sister or something?

Now don't be silly....he's from Tyrone, he's bucking his own sister

Rufus T Firefly

I hope we don't end up doing to Blaine Hughes, what was done to McEvoy. 

Funny, with all this talk about Blaine Hughes, Philly McEvoy's name came into my own mind as well. I'd share your concern. There was a lot of talk about Geezer asking Jack Grugan to consider goals and Jack was having none of it and walked. However having watched Beggan and the Cavan keeper (name escapes me) this year, I do wonder if trying to include a top class long range free taker - probably as a goalkeeper - is the way to go.

trueblue1234

Owen were you not the one on here preaching about whataboutary previously. You holding others to higher standards than yourself.

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2019, 04:26:31 PM
Wouldn't it be great if some posters could just accept their player was wrong any time one of them committed an unacceptable act and then did not engage in endless, mind numbing whataboutery.

We are all intelligent enough to see every incident for what it is without acres of any thread taken up with quote after quote of attempted justification of the unjustifiable and endless attempts at point scoring or ad hominem attacks.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Over the Bar

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 02, 2019, 08:34:03 AM

Owen were you not the one on here preaching about whataboutary previously. You holding others to higher standards than yourself.

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2019, 04:26:31 PM
Wouldn't it be great if some posters could just accept their player was wrong any time one of them committed an unacceptable act and then did not engage in endless, mind numbing whataboutery.

We are all intelligent enough to see every incident for what it is without acres of any thread taken up with quote after quote of attempted justification of the unjustifiable and endless attempts at point scoring or ad hominem attacks.

Good point!

Armagh are like the England Women's team.  Unheard of for years then after a couple of wins they are hyped up as world beaters!! ;D

Captain Obvious

I cant believe all the whinging people are doing about The ref here , Jame clarke should have been black carded after about 2 mins if you care to rewind the video now that would have changed the GAme. and peobable 2 more could have got them . almost every time mayo got a free they were blocked from taking it and theis firectly cost them 2 points which would have made all the difference .
I was sitting beside a former Armagh inter county ref who was a referees accessor , he had no problems with deegan apart from the bit of showboating when  he alsmost for got to Show (grugan and Harrison?)
+1
I have to agree with your first paragraph. I can understand Armagh fans feeling they left the game behind but if Mayo had been Dublin or any of the other top teams, Armagh would have been beaten out the gate. That's a bit harsh but it's the objective truth, (IMO of course.)
Mayo had stepped up a gear coming into the closing stages and moved 5 points clear. They then did what Mayo supporters have become used to- they lost concentration and almost blew their chances as Armagh came back at them. That usually happens in every game Mayo is involved i and probably will happen next weekend too, unfortunately.
An RTE NEWS NOW copywriter got it bang on yesterday. The headline read, "Mayo almost manage to lose...." and I can't find fault with that.
As regards Maurice Deegan, Mayo supporters have had their own reasons for giving out about his decision making in a few championship games in recent years. I don't think anyone could say that he favoured us and I saw no reason why I would think he was any different on Saturday. It can be argued that we got a few hairline decisions but he didn't set out to make up for previous games or anything like that.
Arrmagh were just as cynical as Mayo but they didn't get away with as much because Mayo are more experienced at fouling.

Stepped up? Mayo got a goal out of nothing that should have been called up for steps and had a flattering 5 point lead. A lead that should have been wiped out within minutes if Jamie Clarke didn't hit such a poor shot along the ground to allow his namesake Clarke to save.

Mayo scored 1-7 from 8 attempts in that 2nd half when if ever have Mayo been that accurate? the Dubs would be proud with that type of strike rate.  With all the wastefulness,errors and all the momentum for the closing stages it was Armagh in truth was the ones that managed to lose that game and very grateful Mayo lived to fight another day.

joemamas

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 03, 2019, 11:17:56 AM
+1

Stepped up? Mayo got a goal out of nothing that should have been called up for steps and had a flattering 5 point lead. A lead that should have been wiped out within minutes if Jamie Clarke didn't hit such a poor shot along the ground to allow his namesake Clarke to save.

Mayo scored 1-7 from 8 attempts in that 2nd half when if ever have Mayo been that accurate? the Dubs would be proud with that type of strike rate.  With all the wastefulness,errors and all the momentum for the closing stages it was Armagh in truth was the ones that managed to lose that game and very grateful Mayo lived to fight another day.
Watched the game again in full last night.

Thoughts in no particular order.

The 2019 is poorer for not having Armagh in the super 8's. They are a very good football team, good midfield, three or four top class forwards, biggest takeaway, their ferocity in the tackle was amazing, pure textbook stuff, reminded me of Mayo in years gone by.
They turned Mayo over again and again, all over the field. Their coach's should be commended. I would have loved to have seen them in Croke Park, mind you not at Mayo expense.
Armagh also have a very passionate support base which i respect.

Main turning point, IMO Shields stupid trip on Kevin McLoughilin as COC was about to take a free 50 + yards out against the wind, Armagh had all the momentum, they had just scored two in two minutes and there was a point between them. It gave Mayo a gift of a point.

Did not think McLoughlin over carried.
David Clarke way to uncomfortable to be handling the ball outside the 14 yard line.
Keith Higgins for all his defensive flaws, started so many attacks he is still irreplaceable. Horan should just start him in half forwards.
Beginning to think that Boland may not be up to it at this level. he tries but...
Conor Loftus did not put his body on the line around halfway line after 20 mins, ( he may be carrying an injury), result Armagh point.
Lee Keegan right before he was substituted, got dispossessed on the Armagh 21 yard line, right after kicked an aimless pass across the armagh 21 yard line to absolutely nobody, not something you would expect from such a seasoned veteran. We will miss him, for sure, as a man to man marker.
Harrison tries very hard, playing out of position, he is not a full back (hardest position to play in the modern game ), does not have the physical presence for full back, he was knocked off the ball too easily by Jamie Clarke, who while excellent is not the biggest of forwards.

I will take some positives, Vaughan and COC back on the field.
A lot of new faces getting some championship game time.
Tracey and Murray getting game time, but both just not physically conditioned at this point for inter-county senior football.
McDonagh, Coen excellent, as was AOS.
I would be happy with a super 8 appearance at this point, given our injuries, but we have a big panel, at least that is what we were led to believe at then end of the league.
Unfortunate reality of 2019, is that we most likely blew it with the loss to Roscommon.
Hoping we can get through next Saturday.

rosnarun

Harrison was just given a sneak push in the back by Clarke ,  nothing against Clarke but don't hold it against Harrison
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere