BBC NI Bias?

Started by Applesisapples, August 20, 2019, 12:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Ex paramilitary given a job to keep the peace aka community worker...

(Not all mind you but there are a good few out there!)

Armamike

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2019, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: Armamike on August 21, 2019, 11:38:02 AM
Jim 'my community' Wilson.  He's hard to listen to. Gets angry at hello.

What is his actual job? Why does he get some much airtime???

Because he's the voice of his community.
That's just, like your opinion man.

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on August 21, 2019, 09:19:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 21, 2019, 09:17:49 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 21, 2019, 06:47:49 AM
They've been at it for years at the weather forecast too. How many times do you see them give prolonged rain for Omagh or Derry but then Bangor gets sunny periods

Not at all OJ. . . sure it's always Sunny in Derry hi!!

In fairness i think it was proved over the summer there that it is in fact hotter in Derry than it is in Londonderry.

Must be those Internment bonfires.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2019, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: Armamike on August 21, 2019, 11:38:02 AM
Jim 'my community' Wilson.  He's hard to listen to. Gets angry at hello.

What is his actual job? Why does he get some much airtime???

I get the impression he gets paid to troll social media and appear on Talkback. Probably doesn't do a lot of actual productive work in a typical day.

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2019, 05:55:19 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 20, 2019, 04:55:49 PM
David Dunseith is sorely missed. He was firm but fair. I always felt he gave it to both sides in more-or-less equal measure.

Carruthers and Crawley both do I think this thread is nonsense!!
It's about opinions, Crawley and Carruthers are exceptions. I listen to EvEx and GMU everyday and in my opinion, and one I am entitled to, there is a different approach to SF and the DUP from a n umber of presenters in terms of questioning or accepting what is stated.

Applesisapples

My point really is not about who's on, but how they are treated and Nolan is another one who meekly accepts the loyalist view whilst acting tough on Nationalists.

t_mac

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 22, 2019, 03:22:04 PM
My point really is not about who's on, but how they are treated and Nolan is another one who meekly accepts the loyalist view whilst acting tough on Nationalists.

Nolan is the worse host / presenter out there, you deserve what you get tuning into that fat fcuk.

Sportacus

To be fair a caller was pretty bitter and derogatory towards Claire Hanna today and William Crawley was straight on it, called him out and shut him down.  And so he should of course.

Ambrose

BBC NI, the clue is in the name.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

haranguerer

Quote from: Sportacus on August 22, 2019, 10:40:32 PM
To be fair a caller was pretty bitter and derogatory towards Claire Hanna today and William Crawley was straight on it, called him out and shut him down.  And so he should of course.

He didn't shut him down. The caller insulted her personally twice, didn't contribute anything but abuse towards her, and Crawley (who is one of the better ones) just kept trying to get him to ask a q instead of cutting him straight off. He was on for two minutes, and Crawley just let him tail off without saying something about it as he should have.

Feckitt

Can people help me out here, because my memory of the whole thing is a bit Hazy.

On the 22nd Sept 2002, Armagh won the All Ireland, and obviously we were buzzing that night heading back up the road, listening all about the match on the radio.  When we were closer to home it was coming up to the 11 O'Clock news so I said lets switch to Radio Ulster to see what these cnuts have to say about Armagh.

I was stunned when their main headline was 'Armagh's All Ireland victory was marred tonight when  a large group of Armagh GAA fans attacked Lurgan Police Station'  If I recall correctly it later transpired that the police made the whole thing up out of badness, but BBC NI just reported it anyway.  Can anyone else remember the details of this strange incident!

lurganblue

Quote from: Feckitt on August 23, 2019, 10:52:40 AM
Can people help me out here, because my memory of the whole thing is a bit Hazy.

On the 22nd Sept 2002, Armagh won the All Ireland, and obviously we were buzzing that night heading back up the road, listening all about the match on the radio.  When we were closer to home it was coming up to the 11 O'Clock news so I said lets switch to Radio Ulster to see what these cnuts have to say about Armagh.

I was stunned when their main headline was 'Armagh's All Ireland victory was marred tonight when  a large group of Armagh GAA fans attacked Lurgan Police Station'  If I recall correctly it later transpired that the police made the whole thing up out of badness, but BBC NI just reported it anyway.  Can anyone else remember the details of this strange incident!

I was in Dublin travelling back to Lurgan that night so wasnt in the town to witness this but i believe there was an incident at the police station.  Nothing of significance as far as i know??  A bit of climbing and a few things thrown.  When i got back to the town the place was a hive of revellers all having a great time celebrating. No nonsense.

sensethetone

They do love a GAA game marred by violence.

Feckitt

I googled it and found the original BBC report!!  I'm pretty certain that the police were later forced to admit that they were not attacked by hundreds of fans, that no petrol bombs were thrown, that there was no clash with loyalists, and that it was all a misunderstanding.  Anyway the thread of GAA bias just reminded me of this, because the f**king BBC couldn't even give Armagh their day in the sun without publishing this shite which obviously came from a very bitter police force who were raging that Armagh had won.

Football fans attack police station
Police in Lurgan County Armagh come under attack
Police were attacked by GAA supporters in the town
Police have blamed Gaelic football supporters for an attack on a County Armagh police station.
The trouble followed the county's historic victory in the All-Ireland football final over Kerry in Dublin on Sunday.

Several hundred people attacked the base in Lurgan where security cameras were pulled down.

Police said the crowd then clashed with loyalists in the town centre.

It is unfortunate that a minority of people tarnished the celebrations

Kenneth Annett PSNI
Later, a petrol bomb was thrown at the police station.

Inspector Kenneth Annett said while the police congratulated the Armagh players, their victory had been tarnished by some supporters.

"I would have to say that I am very disappointed to see that a number of people chose the occasion of a celebration to attack the police station, structurally damaging it, and also to throw missiles at police and other persons in Lurgan town centre," he said.

"It is unfortunate that a minority of people tarnished the celebrations which many hundreds of people were taking part in and enjoying.

"It is just regrettable that that occurred."

Irish tricolour flags were erected on a war memorial in the nearby town centre.

At least one police officer suffered minor injuries as security forces tried to end the fighting.

trailer

Quote from: haranguerer on August 23, 2019, 09:03:21 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 22, 2019, 10:40:32 PM

He didn't shut him down. The caller insulted her personally twice, didn't contribute anything but abuse towards her, and Crawley (who is one of the better ones) just kept trying to get him to ask a q instead of cutting him straight off. He was on for two minutes, and Crawley just let him tail off without saying something about it as he should have.

They can't win. Here's a good example. Two posters obviously listened to the same segment but both have different opinions on how it was handled.