Ronaldo £135 million ???

Started by 45GoneShort, September 02, 2008, 07:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2008, 02:41:46 PM
Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 02:30:15 PM
I honestly don't see the attraction of soccer, 90 minutes of back passes, diving (grown men rolling about the floor as if they were shot, it's embarrassing stuff), poor passes - poor shooting (how can anyone being paid 100k a week to play football miss a penalty and in a lot of cases miss the target completely) and inevitably it will end 0-0 or 1-0.  You have to hand it to the marketing guys though to make the mass male population think they have to care about it and be part of it (i.e. part with their hard earned cash for Sky Sports, the ever changing jerseys etc), and especially here in Ireland where it astonishes me why anyone would care about Man U or Liverpool, without doubt the worse sport on the planet.

You must have missed the senior intercounty championship over the past month.

Sorry didn't know those guys were getting paid 100k a week to play football.  ::)

Assuming you're serious and not just talking shite to get a rise or some attention, you're the one making the argument against soccer as a spectacle. I'm just pointing out that your complaints can easily be targeted at the sport that brings us all to this board. And the 100K/week soccer player is missing penalties and shots against 100K/week defenders and goalkeepers.

Arthur

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2008, 02:58:17 PM
Assuming you're serious and not just talking shite to get a rise or some attention, you're the one making the argument against soccer as a spectacle. I'm just pointing out that your complaints can easily be targeted at the sport that brings us all to this board. And the 100K/week soccer player is missing penalties and shots against 100K/week defenders and goalkeepers.

Yeah cause I crave it from this board.  ::) True some elements have transfered into some Gaelic matches but without exception every player in soccer will go down as if he were shot when another player comes within one foot of them.  The matches are dull and lifeless with little or no attacking, and there is no way you can justify someone earning 100k a week missing the target when taking a penalty, it's the emperors clothes of sport but if you you find it stimuating, fair play, suppose you support Liverpool or some other English team and have a nice story as to why you do?

corn02

rosnarun

Soccer is the BIG MAC of the sporting world every one buy it even though they know its shite and produced by spotty young fella who would be out robbing cars if they werent doing it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Arthur

Quote from: corn02 on September 03, 2008, 03:09:52 PM
Arthur your a WUM.

Why do you say that, because I think soccer is a joke of a sport?

corn02

You said it was without doubt the worst sport on the planet - if you expect anyone tpo believe you mean that maybe your a WUM. Also to say that every player, without exception, would dive etc is highly disrespectful.

Minder

Corn02.....Im not sure if you are aware of Arthur, him and Pints are waging a war against each other for the past few weeks, previous handle was Snowed Under i think. WUM indeed.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Arthur

Quote from: corn02 on September 03, 2008, 03:25:14 PM
You said it was without doubt the worst sport on the planet - if you expect anyone tpo believe you mean that maybe your a WUM. Also to say that every player, without exception, would dive etc is highly disrespectful.

The whole sport of soccer is highly disrespectful, from missing drug tests, to match fixing, to ilegal approaches for players etc, diving and play acting is just another part and parcel of it and it is rampant.

Arthur

Quote from: Minder on September 03, 2008, 03:27:43 PM
Corn02.....Im not sure if you are aware of Arthur, him and Pints are waging a war against each other for the past few weeks, previous handle was Snowed Under i think. WUM indeed.......

And what has that got to do with soccer being a crap sport?  Seriously could you answer?

Arthur

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 03, 2008, 03:34:29 PM
Arthur taking on the world again  :D

You just love stalking - get over it kid.  :-*

corn02

Would explain a lot but I still can not ignore the bait.

Arthur you have now said the diving etc is rampent (sic). So you take back your remark that every socce player is involved in this sort of activity.

J70

Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2008, 02:58:17 PM

Yeah cause I crave it from this board.  ::) True some elements have transfered into some Gaelic matches but without exception every player in soccer will go down as if he were shot when another player comes within one foot of them.  The matches are dull and lifeless with little or no attacking, and there is no way you can justify someone earning 100k a week missing the target when taking a penalty, it's the emperors clothes of sport but if you you find it stimuating, fair play, suppose you support Liverpool or some other English team and have a nice story as to why you do?

I couldn't care less if you don't like the sport or you find it boring. Just say so and move on. However, it is the height of arrogance to patronize others who do like it. Sport, like art, is simply a matter of taste. There is no empirical truth as to whether one is better or worse than some other. The best soccer players earn huge sums because that is what the market for soccer will support. Hype will only take a product so far, and the idea that everyone is simply jumping on the bandwagon and being sold a pup is just arrogant, reactionary nonsense. If soccer was so boring and had no instrinsic appeal, it would have died, or at least faded back to minority status long ago.

lynchbhoy

by comparison soccer is riddled with diving and cheating, it has crept into gaelic football but it is not as yet that widespread.
Multiple instances of feighned inj, diving and cheating in practically any soccer game you care to watch.
The GAA have, are and must take steps to ensure our game doesnt go this way.

As for highly paid US sports people - basketballers can earn 20 million a year, baseballers more - but the avg baseball wage is 5million dollars, 1.5 for us football and a little less for basketball (well from recollection these were the approx figures a couple of years ago that I read).
The us has more population, more economic wealth and industry in order to sponsor and pay wages etc

yes soccer can be as boring as feck - especially in comparison to football or hurling, but the trick is to not watch soccer after watching gaelic games.
Gaelic games are very special - we have faster fitter stronger and more dexterious players doing it for practically nothing as amateurs and still holding down day jobs and coaching within their clubs and local communities.
Cant really compare to soccer in that regard either.

Arthur

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 03, 2008, 03:49:07 PM
Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 03:35:19 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on September 03, 2008, 03:34:29 PM
Arthur taking on the world again  :D

You just love stalking - get over it kid.  :-*

Irony in the extreme  :D :D :D

Suppose it's better than threatening me with physical violence or calling me abusive names.

Arthur

Quote from: corn02 on September 03, 2008, 03:39:22 PM

Would explain a lot but I still can not ignore the bait.

Arthur you have now said the diving etc is rampent (sic). So you take back your remark that every socce player is involved in this sort of activity.

I'd say every single match played this weekend in soccer will have people diving, you'd be niave to think otherwise.