Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by 5 Sams, December 05, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Massive loss for South Africa.

RIP
#newbridgeornowhere

Wildweasel74

That **** frasier making a real p***k of himself (i know its not hard) on the protestant coalition site in relation to mandela, that bollocks will never grow up

Shamrock Shore

Rip to a great man.

Link wildweasel? I'd be afraid to google it!

AZOffaly

RIP Madiba. I will never forget the day he walked free. We were training in Ferbane and it was all we could talk about. To become the leader he was, was brilliant to see. A true leader and statesman.

Dire Ear

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Sean3

A great man and a great leader. The dignity with which he carried himself was inspiring.

5 Sams

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 05, 2013, 11:37:23 PM
That **** frasier making a real p***k of himself (i know its not hard) on the protestant coalition site in relation to mandela, that bollocks will never grow up

Had a look earlier. Some of the stuff posted was unbelievable...most of it is removed now. Some real racist stuff I wouldn't even repeat.
The Aristocrat Years

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 06, 2013, 12:04:58 AM
RIP Madiba. I will never forget the day he walked free. We were training in Ferbane and it was all we could talk about. To become the leader he was, was brilliant to see. A true leader and statesman.

One of the truly great moments I can remember in my lifetime when he walked free and set about making peace with his oppressors and freeing South Africa.

RIP Mandela, his legacy will be told for generations to come, long after those who labeled him a terrorist and jailed him have faded into insignificance..

Billys Boots

A true great - I feel grateful to have been alive in his time.  RIP.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

I remember going into Dawson St to see him get the Freedom of Dublin in July 1990 - the day after the Irish soccer team came back from Italia 90.

He was genuinely surprised at the chants coming from the huge crowd

"Oh Ahh Paul McGrath's Da....."

Very funny and really only in Ireland could that happen.

Nally Stand

Quote from: johnneycool on December 06, 2013, 08:39:13 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 06, 2013, 12:04:58 AM

One of the truly great moments I can remember in my lifetime when he walked free and set about making peace with his oppressors and freeing South Africa.

RIP Mandela, his legacy will be told for generations to come, long after those who labeled him a terrorist and jailed him have faded into insignificance..
Unfortunately, one such person is now the British Prime Minister. Cringed listening to his hypocrisy last night.

RIP Madiba.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Bingo

RIP Mandela.

Some great quotes from him rattling round on twitter.

anglocelt39

I spent time there during the dark days of apartheid and to tell the truth if the rest of the world had not been watching you wonder what would have become of the man. Still remember listening to a conversation among some educated whites where one of them, a woman as well, reckoned the biggest mistake the SA govt ever made was remitting his death penalty. Remember it all going off in a pub in hillbrow one night, there was a video juke box with one track blacked out AKA The Specials Free Nelson Mandela. That's what it was like at the time. Seem to remember a few displaced Scots and Nordies being to the forefront of that particular ruckus, for some reason 1980's SA seemed to draw a particularly strident type from those locales.

Haven't been back since he walked free, from contact with friends who remain there the place is unrecognisable. What a testament to Nelson and his colleagues and comrades.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

winghalfback

A true inspiration to the world he can truely rest in peace now he has achieved what he set out to do. Few interesting stats for some posters to this discussion board. He grew up with no civil rights, he fought against the system,he was called a terrorist, he was imprisoned, he was shot, he became leader of his party, he worked for peace, he met with his enemies, he forgave those you had shot him, he wants peace for all, he has had troubles within his own family,his want for truth and reconciliation. Sound like anyone else we know off.