Installing a stove

Started by heffo, June 10, 2011, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

I'm putting in a Stanley Stove with a Back Boiler at home.

I've taken out the fireplace and the hearth is 23" wide and 18" deep - the Stove is 21" wide and 18 t" deep.

I want to have the stove flush in the fireplace, so as it stands it won't fit.

It's a standard semi-d and my neighbours fireplace obviously backs onto mine - is there much leeway between the two so I could kango out a bit more room? Has anyone done anything like this before?

Ulick

Quote from: heffo on June 10, 2011, 07:45:13 PM

I've taken out the fireplace and the hearth is 23" wide and 18" deep - the Stove is 21" wide and 18 t" deep.

It's a standard semi-d and my neighbours fireplace obviously backs onto mine - is there much leeway between the two so I could kango out a bit more room? Has anyone done anything like this before?

Installed my own with a back boiler as well. What you need to do is come out toward the room not back the ways. You could lift your existing hearth and put down a new one or just tile out from your existing hearth.

I build a little tiled platform about an 1 1/2" high in the existing fireplace for the stove to sit on and took it out into the room about 2" from the chimney breast. This means the front of the stove is sitting about a 1/2" from the edge. I then built another hearth by tiling out about another 5" into the room to catch anything which might fall out of the stove when the door is open.

heffo

Quote from: Ulick on June 10, 2011, 08:10:52 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 10, 2011, 07:45:13 PM

Installed my own with a back boiler as well. What you need to do is come out toward the room not back the ways. You could lift your existing hearth and put down a new one or just tile out from your existing hearth.

I build a little tiled platform about an 1 1/2" high in the existing fireplace for the stove to sit on and took it out into the room about 2" from the chimney breast. This means the front of the stove is sitting about a 1/2" from the edge. I then built another hearth by tiling out about another 5" into the room to catch anything which might fall out of the stove when the door is open.

Thanks lads.

I'm getting rid of the existing fireplace and I've bought a cream marble surround fireplace - this is 60" wide.

The gap between the legs of the new fireplace is 36" and the gap from base to mantle is 915mm/36" - this will sit on a black marble base.

So I'll have plenty of room - should I definitely put a tile or some form of stand for the Stove to sit on?

Should I knock out the sides and then put a tile surround/brickwork?

Sorry if these are stupid questions..

heffo

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 10, 2011, 09:05:03 PM

How do you plan to connect the stove flue to the chimney liners which are probably 200mm in diameter and the 150mm flue opening from the stove?

I assumed I had to buy a length of flue, no?

A tight permanent seal is needed to prevent flue gases including carbon monoxide from entering your room.  A CO monitor was be a great idea in the room because your stove may combust soot from time to time and create CO.  What thought have you given to ventilating the room to bring in fresh air to the room and then the stove?

TBH none at all! How much would a CO monitor cost?

Ulick

Heffo, you could just get or cut an insert for the inside of the surround instead of knocking bricks out.

TYP, I didn't bother with chimney liners - reckon they're a bit of a con. If you've got a good draw they shouldn't be needed and besides any house built since the 60's must have a clay liner built into the chimney. What I did instead was got a mate to cut me a bit of 1/4" sheet metal with a hole in the middle for the flue and two little trap doors either side for cleaning. Then using a grinder and a Dremel I cut out a groove around the three sides of the fireplace and slid the plate into it. Then stuck my hand up through the trap doors and plastered fire cement around where the flue goes through the plate. Added another layer around the front where the plate meets the chimney breast for a perfect seal. I do have a CO2 alarm just in case though. Reckon I saved myself hundreds between liners and the £180 some bloke was looking to fit something similar. You do need a good metalworker though to cut the plate - mine went in perfect with practically no gap between the flue and plate at all. 

Ulick

Another idea, depending on the colour of your marble surround you could use hammered copper as an insert between your surround and the edges of the existing fireplace. i.e. cut it so the surround sits over the top of the copper plate, then you could bend it around the sides of the fireplace. Could look well.

heffo

Quote from: Ulick on June 10, 2011, 09:24:45 PM
Heffo, you could just get or cut an insert for the inside of the surround instead of knocking bricks out.

TYP, I didn't bother with chimney liners - reckon they're a bit of a con. If you've got a good draw they shouldn't be needed and besides any house built since the 60's must have a clay liner built into the chimney. What I did instead was got a mate to cut me a bit of 1/4" sheet metal with a hole in the middle for the flue and two little trap doors either side for cleaning. Then using a grinder and a Dremel I cut out a groove around the three sides of the fireplace and slid the plate into it. Then stuck my hand up through the trap doors and plastered fire cement around where the flue goes through the plate. Added another layer around the front where the plate meets the chimney breast for a perfect seal. I do have a CO2 alarm just in case though. Reckon I saved myself hundreds between liners and the £180 some bloke was looking to fit something similar. You do need a good metalworker though to cut the plate - mine went in perfect with practically no gap between the flue and plate at all.

The new surround looks like this - http://www.balrathdesigns.ie/img/fireplaces/Marble/Large/dublin-corbel.jpg - minus the insert.

For in behind the stove, what would you recommend? Is it easy to tile or should I be looking into some kind of brick or faux-brick?

A copper of some kind of metal insert could work alright

Cheers

I'll look into the seal in more detail.

Tony Baloney

Some f**king about there lads. Bit of fireboard cut to size and battened into underside of chimney flue. Cut a hole for the stove pipe, stick stovepipe thru as far into the chimney as it'll go and then seal with fire cement around the join. Tenner all in.

heffo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 10, 2011, 10:06:49 PM
Some f**king about there lads. Bit of fireboard cut to size and battened into underside of chimney flue. Cut a hole for the stove pipe, stick stovepipe thru as far into the chimney as it'll go and then seal with fire cement around the join. Tenner all in.

Has that worked before for you Tony??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heffo on June 10, 2011, 10:11:33 PM

Aye but suppose depends on what you have to deal with. If you are retrofitting into existing fireplace it might be tougher to get a good seal on it. The opening for my stove is about 3' square.

Edit - something like TYPs top pic there except with a sandstone hearth.

heffo

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 10, 2011, 10:16:56 PM
Is this the look you are going for but with a marble surround............

You might have to do this...........

Thats what I'm looking for alright Tony - might be a stupid question but would I need to skim the inside of the hearth (red bit on first pic) to get it looking like that?

heffo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 10, 2011, 10:19:26 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 10, 2011, 10:11:33 PM

Aye but suppose depends on what you have to deal with. If you are retrofitting into existing fireplace it might be tougher to get a good seal on it. The opening for my stove is about 3' square.

Edit - something like TYPs top pic there except with a sandstone hearth.

I'm retrofitting into an existing fireplace alright - build mid 70's

The opening for my stove is about 3' square. -> Are you referring to the size of the oblong adopter coming out of the top of the stove?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heffo on June 10, 2011, 10:20:27 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on June 10, 2011, 10:16:56 PM
Is this the look you are going for but with a marble surround............

You might have to do this...........

Thats what I'm looking for alright Tony - might be a stupid question but would I need to skim the inside of the hearth (red bit on first pic) to get it looking like that?
Aye the inside of ours is skimmed but just painted same colour as room. Might paint an accent colour in future. Plasterer used a bit of a rougher skim though as he said a fine skim would crack up with the heat.

heffo

So skimming inside with a rough coat is option 1.

What about if I wanted to get a load of old tiles either mosiac or from a salvage yard - would I still need to skim it to tile over?

Can you get a roll of stuff that looks like brickwork that you can stick on if you wanted?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heffo on June 10, 2011, 10:30:51 PM
So skimming inside with a rough coat is option 1.

What about if I wanted to get a load of old tiles either mosiac or from a salvage yard - would I still need to skim it to tile over?

Can you get a roll of stuff that looks like brickwork that you can stick on if you wanted?
Entirely personal choice for the finish. If finishing in tiles you could just tile onto the scratch coat. Wouldn't both skimming if tiling.