Westminster General Election 2024

Started by lurganblue, Today at 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Looks like Rishi is announcing a summer election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-69042935

Maybe hoping for a bit of Euros feel good from the electorate but surely they are on the road out.

Jeffrey about to lose his income and expenses too.

Pub Bore

Bad timing for the DUP.  "Safeguarding the Union" dead in the water, the ruling that the Rwanda act doesn't apply in NI.  Big Gavin Robinson under pressure in East Belfast, South Antrim maybe in the mix.  While I think he'll be re-elected, Eastwood's majority of 17,000 should be well reduced.  For SF, there's Fermanagh & Sth Tyrone.  Michelle Gildernew is standing in the Euro elections in the South.  If she wins a seat she can't run for Westminster and even if she doesn't win, surely SF have to declare their candidate in FST before 7 June?

Rois

Half the country will be away on holiday here.  I'll have to get the postal vote sorted.

lurganblue

Jamie worried about marching season

markl121

that was funny. Man was soaked to the soundtrack of things can only get better. West wing this was not

red hander

Sad thing is, we'll be swapping one shower of odious bastards for another shower of odious bastards. I wouldn't trust Starmer as far ad I could throw the cnut.

Rossfan

Hopefully ye'll lose a DUPUDA MP or 2 in the 6!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: red hander on Today at 05:33:25 PMSad thing is, we'll be swapping one shower of odious bastards for another shower of odious bastards. I wouldn't trust Starmer as far ad I could throw the cnut.

He's a politician but has less malign intent than the Tories.
A bit like Biden and Trump, you can have an unimpressive candidate or an outright dangerous one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nanderson

Loved the soundtrack in the background of Rishis announcement. Someone blaring out 'Things can only get better'