McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

What specifically are you objecting to within the cork process?

theskull1

The militancy of their stance and the lack of respect shown to highly respected individuals around them.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The GAA

Ah come on now, is that the best you can come up with.

their opinion must be garnered according to the county board rules. should they tell lies? is it militant not to rate your manager?

As has been said, Gerald is a highly respected man in many fields but in this instance he is being assessed as an intercounty coach. his players feel he isn't good enough. do any of us have the knowledge on that subject to disagree?

saffron

What do the Cork clubs feel about all this? Do they not send delegates to the county board like everywhere else? Is the Cork county board not a democratic representation of the clubs in the county?

And if so are the decisions they make by proxy not the democratic decisions of the Cork clubs and therefore the county?

What confuses me the absolute refusal on three occasions now of the Cork players to accept the decisions of their county board - the democratic decision of their board by the way.

Whatever their reasons (and I would think that most people would agree they have the success of Cork as their priority) they are hijacking the entire county and its processes. When it came to conditions and then the appointment of selectors for a manager I can see why they weren't happy but still its the decision of the county.

Should they not be trying to change the delegates to the county board? And as for this last argument you have to feel all sympathy has run out - it makes no sense to let players chose the manager (by all means an input) but for a million reasons they cant have the final say. The Donegal players were unhappy with the loss of their manager but didn't chose to strike and are again unhappy with the process but haven't taken the nuclear option.

The county belongs to the clubs not the senior county team players.

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2008, 12:54:56 PM
The militancy of their stance and the lack of respect shown to highly respected individuals around them.

Quote from: The GAA on October 28, 2008, 01:08:09 PM

Sorry....what have I stated that is not  a good enough reason for me to have a serious objection to what the players are doing? ???

AZOffaly

Saffron, I would tend to agree with a lot of that. Of course the nature of GAA politics means that the County Boards should be elected by clubs, and held accountable by clubs if there appears to be a poor job being done.

However, for whatever reason, the Cork County Board just seems to have personalities who can stamp their authority very strongly, and have no compunctions about doing so. That tends to grate with the players, who are then always in some sort of angst because of it.

I would agree that players cannot have the final say into who gets picked, and should simply be an input to the process. In this case, however, they seem to not only have had very little input into the new manager, but their opinion of the old one was absolutely discounted.

The GAA

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2008, 02:25:59 PM

Sorry....what have I stated that is not  a good enough reason for me to have a serious objection to what the players are doing? ???

you object to the cork players having an opinion?

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on October 28, 2008, 11:57:38 AM

Their gripe seems to seems to be about the process az. they were advocating gathering opinions, shortlisting, interviewing, etc.
obviously the process that has arrived at McCarthy without and consultation and againt the wishes of the players has to be flawed even to the most biased eye?

there are rumours that the players' have a preferred choice but haven't a clue

Then why go around speculating if you haven't whilst accusing others of knowing far less ??

It seems you know a lot more than you're pretending to.  ;)

theskull1

Quote from: The GAA on October 28, 2008, 02:48:13 PM

I didn't say that GAA and well you know it. Care to answer the question again?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on October 28, 2008, 03:19:01 PM
Quote from: The GAA on October 28, 2008, 11:57:38 AM

Their gripe seems to seems to be about the process az. they were advocating gathering opinions, shortlisting, interviewing, etc.
obviously the process that has arrived at McCarthy without and consultation and againt the wishes of the players has to be flawed even to the most biased eye?

there are rumours that the players' have a preferred choice but haven't a clue

Then why go around speculating if you haven't whilst accusing others of knowing far less ??

It seems you know a lot more than you're pretending to.  ;)

I've heard two different runours of the players having a preferred candidate but these are hardly fact so i can't represent them as that. what am i speculating on? if you've nothing constructive to add (as usual) then don't add anything

The GAA

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2008, 03:28:49 PM

You haven't outlined a reason for your opposition to the cork players' position? you have said it is because of their "militant stance and lack of respect"? you say you aren't objecting to their opinion, am i therefore to deduce that you only object to them expressing it?

saffron

QuoteHowever, for whatever reason, the Cork County Board just seems to have personalities who can stamp their authority very strongly, and have no compunctions about doing so. That tends to grate with the players, who are then always in some sort of angst because of it.

I can understand their fustration AZ but it still doesnt change the fact that the manager was appointed by the board. I know GAA politics being what it is certain personalities embed themselves but they can always be voted out if the clubs get it together. Thats GAA democarcy its not perfect but whats the alternative? Certainly not to have the players in charge of all major decsions.

theskull1

Quote from: The GAA on October 28, 2008, 03:55:02 PM

You haven't outlined a reason for your opposition to the cork players' position? you have said it is because of their "militant stance and lack of respect"? you say you aren't objecting to their opinion, am i therefore to deduce that you only object to them expressing it?

It's one thing to think it, and chat about it to other players to gauge their opinions,  it's quite another thing to verbalize it publically in the way that he cork players have done so that they hopefully (regardless of any offense caused) could make McCarty feel that his position was untenable. It just crosses the line of what is decent respectful behaviour. Hence the "militant stance and lack of respect". Do you get where I'm coming from GAA?

The players may well have a right to feel aggrieved, but it's what they've done with that grievance that is unacceptable.

orangeman

All you've done GAA is to try and defend the players from a situation that is becoming increasingly indefensible.

Wake up to the reality that the Cork players have thrown the toys out of the pram again and the parents ( Frank and Co. ) have decided that enough is enough. Gerald Mc Carthy has been treated better by the Cork players.
At least the Cork players had the decency to meet with him but this Mc Carthy is going to be hard to shift.

The GAA

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2008, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: The GAA on October 28, 2008, 03:55:02 PM

It's one thing to think it, and chat about it to other players to gauge their opinions,  it's quite another thing to verbalize it publically in the way that he cork players have done so that they hopefully (regardless of any offense caused) could make McCarty feel that his position was untenable. It just crosses the line of what is decent respectful behaviour. Hence the "militant stance and lack of respect". Do you get where I'm coming from GAA?

The players may well have a right to feel aggrieved, but it's what they've done with that grievance that is unacceptable.

That is certainly a very fair opinion you hold. however, the point you are missing is that CCB's process requires them to express their opinion. where is the ambiguity in that?
whether you, me or McCarthy likes that opinion surely can't be expected to come into it? the players have done only what the CCB requires of them here.