New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on April 13, 2018, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 13, 2018, 02:26:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2018, 02:05:11 PM
If you have the option of a company car or allowance whats best overall tax wise and savings over the year?

I really dont need a company car as I'm totally based in the one spot and no need to have it, though I love the perks with it I'm probably paying for it through my tax

Depends on a few things. Miles you are doing? Fuel card? etc. I found I was better of staying with my expenses than what I was getting for a car allowance / company car. If your doing massive miles then it's definitely value. But I was doing just about 10,000 miles so didn't really see a benefit (Financially). Course you save on the hassle of maintenance with a CC but I was tied to a couple of vehicles. 

Course my calculations could have been up the left.  ???

What he said, it depends on circumstances. There are a couple of decent comparison calculators online that you can tailor
https://www.whatcar.com/news/company-car-cash-alternative/

At the minute and for the immediate future I'm doing a daily run of 15 miles! Initially that's far greater when I was at different locations, now with my lease nearly up I've got to choose, fuel card insurance maintenance good spec car services breakdown cover! Even toll charges.. for a car allowance which will be decent enough and bring down tax I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hectorsheroes

What are these Merc A180's like - they look good at least but just interested in their running - my civic is about done and it was decent and had a golf before but just interested in case anyone had one

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: hectorsheroes on April 14, 2018, 01:39:02 AM
What are these Merc A180's like - they look good at least but just interested in their running - my civic is about done and it was decent and had a golf before but just interested in case anyone had one

Supposed to be hard to sit in due to suspension built for carpet like roads on the continental mainland. New model supposed to have improved on this area.

If you intend to carry anyone more than 5-10 in the back they will struggle to get in and have any head room.  Probably same applies if you carry children in car seats in the rear in terms of getting them in and out. 

On the other hand the Golf 7 has none of these problems.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 14, 2018, 08:12:38 PM
Quote from: hectorsheroes on April 14, 2018, 01:39:02 AM

Supposed to be hard to sit in due to suspension built for carpet like roads on the continental mainland. New model supposed to have improved on this area.

If you intend to carry anyone more than 5-10 in the back they will struggle to get in and have any head room.  Probably same applies if you carry children in car seats in the rear in terms of getting them in and out. 

On the other hand the Golf 7 has none of these problems.
I like the look of them tbh, but probably not practical
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

square_ball

Anyone any experience with the new Seat Ateca? Is it just more or less a Tiguan with the VW badge? We are looking at that kind of motor for the family car.

Seany

Seems petrol hybrid is the future. Diesel cars bought now will have no resale value.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: square_ball on April 15, 2018, 08:36:30 AM
Anyone any experience with the new Seat Ateca? Is it just more or less a Tiguan with the VW badge? We are looking at that kind of motor for the family car.

Basically from the same VW parts box but without some of the things that give the difference between Seat and VW cars.  According to all reports the third SUV from the same parts bin built by Skoda, the Karoq.  Tiguan supposed to be luxury version and most expensive, Ateca is the sport version trimmed back with harder suspension but cheaper by thousands and the Karoq is the family version with more gadgets, more comfort, more storage and softer suspension (blander) with Skoda price.  There is one to suit everyone.  Big step up in terms of looks shared by all three.

Check out these reviews:

https://youtu.be/W2y6shUHD7M
https://youtu.be/vI4v73CUoQc
https://youtu.be/DYhF6-oKjWg

Note the design similarities of all 3 from the same parts bin.

Just depends if you are a badge snob or not.

square_ball

Thanks Owen. We're going to test drive a few in the next week or so. I do like the look of the Ateca though.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: square_ball on April 15, 2018, 09:49:46 AM
Thanks Owen. We're going to test drive a few in the next week or so. I do like the look of the Ateca though.

One of the best looking compact SUVs. If you need more than 5 seats the Kodiaq from Skoda is the big brother of the Karoq and also highly rated.  Q7 size and near quality for a Skoda price.

johnnycool

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 15, 2018, 10:58:25 AM

One of the best looking compact SUVs. If you need more than 5 seats the Kodiaq from Skoda is the big brother of the Karoq and also highly rated.  Q7 size and near quality for a Skoda price.

Was in one of those Kodiaq's the other day, spacy enough inside without looking like a bus on the outside, was impressed by it.
Didn't get a drive at it though, but I think they're 2 litre diesel engines.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2018, 11:53:07 AM

Was in one of those Kodiaq's the other day, spacy enough inside without looking like a bus on the outside, was impressed by it.

https://youtu.be/b62ITcoqN0s

lurganblue

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 16, 2018, 07:14:23 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2018, 11:53:07 AM

https://youtu.be/b62ITcoqN0s

Looking at a Seat Arona myself. Bit of a smaller SUV type.  I've had 2 Leon's in the past and have always been happy with them.

Harold Disgracey

Recently bought a Nissan X-Trail, happy enough with it so far, very comfortable and spacious and has decent fuel economy. I still have my Seat Leon, the wee lad is now 17 and he can have it when he passes his test.

Minder

VW T-Roc looks nice but I imagine its pricey enough
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

Saw a VW Tiguan Allspace on the road today. Far nicer and bigger looking than a regular Tiguan.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.