Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kid

I think you've near got it right Illdecide, although my only objection would be jamie clarke playing half forward as the duties of a half forward nowadays are as much about defending as they are attacking and I think he is deadly closer to goal. I would have Brian Mallon at wing half, in a danny hughes type role, winning breaking ball and still getting up the field to take a few scores. I would have Nippy swift centre half as he is a physically imposing player who looks comfortable on the ball. that leaves me with the other wing half forward, although he's very light at the moment I would play Rory Grugan as he has more than enough skill to make up for this. I think the half back line is almost harder to call because you have dyas, moriarty, mc keever and aaron kernan all competing for 3places

winsamsoon

In the defense Mc Keever gets my vote at chb. He will be there to snuff out the dangers and hold the middle. Ak on one wing and acting as the link up man between backs and forwards and probably Dyas on the other wing. Think Moriarty would be better coming on as a sub as he will always run himself into the ground. Duffy is another option at half back, again powerful going forward.  just don't feel he is as good on the ball as the others and possession is key.

FF line would be Tasker, R Clarke, Mc Donnell

Hf line                J.Clarke,?,?  Think we need a player in here who can win the dirty ball and double up in defense if Kernan or Dyas was to move forward. Also have the diversity to be able to move into the defense and vice versa.               
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

orchard 8195

Quote from: winsamsoon on December 17, 2010, 12:57:44 PM
In the defense Mc Keever gets my vote at chb. He will be there to snuff out the dangers and hold the middle. Ak on one wing and acting as the link up man between backs and forwards and probably Dyas on the other wing. Think Moriarty would be better coming on as a sub as he will always run himself into the ground. Duffy is another option at half back, again powerful going forward.  just don't feel he is as good on the ball as the others and possession is key.

Hf line                J.Clarke,?,?  Think we need a player in here who can win the dirty ball and double up in defense if Kernan or Dyas was to move forward. Also have the diversity to be able to move into the defense and vice versa.               
do u mean u wouldnt have jamie clarke on then?

mackers

I'd agree that J Clarke should be played close to goal.  Henderson is a player I like although, like Forker, he's inconsistent.
On the HB line I don't think that we can afford to have BOTH P Duffy and AK either side of C McK, both are too attack minded and too loose in their defensive duties.  We're going to have to choose between the two, and it is far from a foregone conclusion as, for me, Paul Duffy, was in with a big shout of being Armagh's best player this year. Brian Mallon is skating on thin ice IMO but we need a workhorse and breakball winner and he does bring that to the team.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Skiddybadoo

What about MOR Jr for the dirty ball winning role? He can take a score and has bit bit of vision and creativity about him.  Dromintee posters would be better place to say whether he is a good breaking ball winner. 

illdecide

It's clear to see that we're far from the finished article, we have far too many crucial positions where no-one can agree on personal for there and that tells you something. Happy enough with Hearty and 2 out of the 3 full back positions (A Mallon and Donaghy), the half back line I'd be happy with McKeever at CHB as for the other two wing back positions...A Kernan, P Duffy, K Dyas and Finn Mo will have to fight it out.

I'm happy enough with Toner but we need an athletic midfielder to go with him and Lavery does not fit that bill, Toner has been slaughtered this last two years trying to do the work of two...dunno who can play here, is there any new kids coming thru at this position?

Half forward line is a mess also and it's between S Kernan, Nippy Swift, B Mallon, J Clarke, and Vernon for me. In what order i haven't a clue. The full forward line for me would be Henderson, R Clarke and McDonnell. Some people questioned if J Clarke could play in the HF line and i say to that look at Crossmaglen, he drifts all over the place and imagine the damage he'd do winning the ball in the HF line and playing a 1-2 with the FF line or running onto a ball from the FF line. I have seen him pick up ball for Cross in their HB line regular so i def think he could play HF no bother...

Neck on the line here...

Hearty
A Mallon
B Donaghy
Morgan (think thats the lad's name plays for Cross) or McKeown
A Kernan
C McKeever
Finn Mo
K Toner
C Vernon (not happy with this but can't think of anyone else)
G Swift
B Mallon (play maker)
J Clarke
S McDonnell
R Clarke
R Henderson

TBH there is a few positions I'm not happy about...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

Quote from: orchard 8195 on December 17, 2010, 02:10:59 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on December 17, 2010, 12:57:44 PM

do u mean u wouldnt have jamie clarke on then?

No i would have clarke and two others but wasn't sure who. I think Brian Mallon has a great workrate but he just doesn't have enough creativity and Micheal O Rourke for me is lacking pace meaning any good man marking could sniff him out. The lad can take a score but i have yet to see him perform in big games (i must confess i have only really seen him against Cross and Harps so other lads are probably in better positions to comment on him) IMO we need a ball winner, a natural scorer and a playmaker in Hf. That combination for me would work best and the more players we have with two or three of these attributes then even better

mackers

My stab at a team would be:
Hearty
A Mallon
B Donaghy
J Morgan (has the makings of an excellent back but need to watch the discipline)
P Duffy (or AK depending who's showing the best form in late May)
C McKeever
Finn Mo
Kieran Toner
Charlie Vernon (hopefully comes out of his dip in form)
Nippy
B Mallon
R Grugan
S McDonnell
R Clarke
J Clarke

I'm hoping that the league campaign throws up a Eugene McVerry/Gavin McParland/Ryan Henderson playing well as they will all get their chance with J Clarke out to the end of Feb at least with Cross in the AI Club. Kevin Dyas fully fit could bolster the HF line too. C McKeever should be used as a more traditional CHB rather than a sweeper covering everybody's asses in the full back line.
As illdecide says there are too many iffy positions to be getting ahead of ourselves but a successful league would put a few of those doubts to bed.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

winsamsoon

One things for sure whatever team they have out us three glipes will be there watching  :D :D

The Kid

Mackers I agree with 14 out of 15 of your team lol a fully fit Kevin Dyas has the potential to be one of the best players in the country so in that regard I would have him in for Finian Moriarty, although he did an excellent man marking job on Martin Clarke in the league final this year. Paul Duffy had an excellent year this year so he will be there or there abouts as well. Having purchased a season ticket this year I am looking forward to watching Div 1 football again in the new Athletic grounds (if that is still the name of the ground by Feb lol) and I am quite opttimistic for a successful year. On another note, am I the only one shocked and confused at the time of Armagh's c'ship match with down, sat may 28th 7pm? seems more like a time for a qualifier

illdecide

Quote from: winsamsoon on December 17, 2010, 04:28:42 PM
One things for sure whatever team they have out us three glipes will be there watching  :D :D

:D :D :D Correct

Throw ball

I'll go for
Hearty
Mallon Donaghy Morgan
AK (frees get nod) McKeever Finn Mo.
Toner Lavery (not let us down yet)
Grugan Vernon Nippy
McDonnell Clarke Clarke

I'd say I am happy with about 10 or 11. I am hoping someone sticks his head up in the league for a couple of key positions. Positional switches could also see one of the Clarkes in the half forward line.Hope not expecting too much from the young fellas.

pearseog

after last season paul duffy must be a cert? the only armagh player who stood up to be counted against monaghan when more experienced players hid away and undoubtedly the best player in the county last year

illdecide

Quote from: pearseog on December 17, 2010, 11:42:54 PM
after last season paul duffy must be a cert? the only armagh player who stood up to be counted against monaghan when more experienced players hid away and undoubtedly the best player in the county last year

Well said Paul... ;)

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Agree with pearseog about Paul Duffy. Hopefully he gets his chance and improves on last year.
Its all about the Hurling.