Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I would agree with you Gallsman but then in his defence he got a few points from play in the Ulster Final, that may be the exception to the rule though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Quote from: gallsman on December 04, 2009, 09:19:45 AM
Dare I go so far as to suggest that Karl would be worthy of Paddy Cunningham's place on the Antrim team? Admittedly I don't live in Belfast any more, so I don't see him play too often, but any match I've seen him play either for Antrim or the Lambs, I think his done close to sweet FA apart from hit frees.

In saying that however, I've heard that he was the outstanding player in UUJ's Sigerson a few years ago, so I'll happily accept correction.

You could certainly dare to suggest that alright, but in doing so you would lose any remaining credibility you had on the board.

IMHO, only McLean, Brady, S Kelly and Gallagher have the necessary attitude and ability to be long term successful inter-county players. Niblock would be close and Burke may well be in the future.

Of the others, the three McGourtys have the ability, but not the attitude and O'Neill the attitude, but not the ability.

The rest, including Stewarty have neither.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Olly

Quote from: shambo on December 03, 2009, 06:12:16 PM
Quote from: Olly on December 03, 2009, 12:07:51 AM
The rasen I wouldn't have stewrt or kieran mchourty on the team is because they're hurling men and would better serve that county code. So wind your f**king neck in

wind my F**king neck in??

you obviously haven't played against Karl or seen him play. you must play for the seconds of St Brigids. But yes hurling seems to be his first love, as for Ciaran McGourty, he's more noted for football but a quality hurler also.

You seem to be very limited in your local Gaa knowledge. head you over to the Hogan Stand

did you read what i said. hes more suitable for Antrim to hurling than football and youve agreed with me but dont know it, and thats why id not hve him near the Antrim football  panel. what has playing against him have to do with it anyway, congratulations for playing against him if you have, great achievememt.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

nrico2006

QuoteIn saying that however, I've heard that he was the outstanding player in UUJ's Sigerson a few years ago, so I'll happily accept correction.

He wasn't the main man.  Again, he hit the frees.  The Ulster Final was over when he picked up a few points from play. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Sam, perhaps you could enlighten me as to problems with Karl's attitude? Do you simply suggest that because hurling is is first love he doesn't have the required attitude to play football, or do you insinuate something a bit more sinister?

Minder

I think SS2 should now catch and release, it is the most humane method.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Quote from: gallsman on December 04, 2009, 10:16:46 AM
Sam, perhaps you could enlighten me as to problems with Karl's attitude? Do you simply suggest that because hurling is is first love he doesn't have the required attitude to play football, or do you insinuate something a bit more sinister?

Nothing sinister, he's a hurler first and foremost and coupled with a young family, I don't think he has the motivation to commit to senior inter-county football.

Plus I don't think he would make a full strength Antrim side.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

SambaSaffron

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2009, 10:42:10 PM
He didn't have a howler at all in casement samba. He had the beating of Andy McLean every time he got the ball. McLean went onto a yellow card and should have been red carded for persistent fouling but somehow managed to stay on. That's what curbed O'Boyle - bad reffing really. That and Cargin were rubbish and couldn't get the ball up to him anywhere near enough.

Not St Galls bashing here. Just saying I don't think 15 of their players should make the county team. 8 or 9 yes...
I stand corrected, I don't remember much about that game. Think Cargin were up at half-time maybe? And pretty much didn't come out for second half.

As for Stewart being better than Cunningham, I would say not. I agree that Cunningham is limited in a way, mostly by his lack of pace and ability to win his own ball. However, when he is within shooting distance he is deadly accurate And yes a lot are from frees, but those frees still have to be scored. Good free-takers are under-rated nowadays. What would Fermanagh not do for one!?

Glensman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 04, 2009, 10:10:21 AM
QuoteIn saying that however, I've heard that he was the outstanding player in UUJ's Sigerson a few years ago, so I'll happily accept correction.

He wasn't the main man.  Again, he hit the frees.  The Ulster Final was over when he picked up a few points from play.

Agree with the stance that the points Cunningham picked up from play were generally when the game was over. It actually galled me slightly that he wasn't thinking of going for goals or looking for a teammate. I think on one occasion Loughrey was better placed for a goal chance when we were a fair bit behind - it smacked a little bit of Paddy building up the total for himself.

I often admire that selfish streak in forwards (they take the shots and take the criticism if it doesn't work out) but when it steps across the line of being bad for the team then I'm not so sure. A good forward analyses a shotting opportunity quicker than others but often shoots on site anyway (he has to do this for LD ALL the time) - a great forward does that but also takes a step back and is often a provider as much as a scorer as he is generally a well marked man (Stephen O'Neill is example no.1).

Actually think Cunningham deserves his spot on the team at the moment for the frees but needs to up his workrate, contribution from play and clinicalness in front of goal.

Great that there are so many options for the county team this year...food for thought in the Bradley household.

PS I seriously think we should be setting our sights to do what Tipp did last year and go straight up again. Might be hopeful but is worth striving for.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orior

Will CJ be back next year?

Different style, but will he offset the loss of McCann?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Orior on December 04, 2009, 01:01:05 PM
Will CJ be back next year?

Different style, but will he offset the loss of McCann?

Doubt whether CJ will feature.  Isn't Tomas McCann back from Oz??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

imtommygunn

The problem at county level with Cunningham is winning his own ball. If he gets space, for points, he is lethal.

He should have been more clinical against Tyrone going for goals though... Still he scored 11 points so perhaps harsh knocking him!

Definitely merits his place on the team but if CJ McGourty commited I don't think he'd be worth his place. I do think Close merits a place on the team too but there'll all much of a muchness in terms of ball winning ability which is where they fall down.

Is McCann lost Orior? Sure is he not back?

nrico2006

McCann wasn't offered a rookie contract.

SambaSaffron

Tomas was never going to be offered a contract, Richmond had already used their draft picks. They offered him reduced terms to play for their reserve team in the VFL with a view to a rookie contract next year, but he turned it down. They told him to practise the skills at home and they'd maybe have a look next year anyway.

Don't know whether I'd have Close starting. At the same time, I don't think I'd have CJ and Cunningham on the same side. Tough competeition for places, good to see!