Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SambaSaffron

Quote from: culchie11 on November 14, 2009, 02:42:13 PM
Samba saffron you sure you havent already made this accusation about rasharkin?
which was made on antrim gaa message board and duely replied to:

Name : Arnold02 November 2009I can understand the frustration by many regarding the number of fixtures still to be played in Div 1 Football. The county try their best and release fixture dates well in advance at the beginning of the season. The problem lies when clubs call off or re-fix games for strange reasons. This has happened to a club in div 1 football for the past two seasons. If this club survives again due to other clubs fielding understrength teams, will the county make sure this does not happen again. Lamh dhearg sufferd as a result of this last year and another club could be relegated as a result of this, this year

And the rply:
Name : Just for the record03 November 2009In response to the various emails regarding Rasharkin getting various matches called off this is absolute nonsense. Three games have been rescheduled this year for the following reasons 1) St Galls match postponed at the request of St Galls, 2) Moneyglass didn't field for reasons of their own which was the subject of appeals by both clubs and must now be refixed and 3) St Paul's was rescheduled as Rasharkin were competing in the Ulster JHC final on the same day.

The comments around the 3 points secured against St Galls last year fail to include the fact that on the way to avoiding relegation I believe Rasharkin also defeated St Johns, Portglenone, Creggan and Gort na Mona. Lamh Dhearg were relegated last year as they could not beat St John's in the final game to stay up. Fair play to Lamh Dhearg they have regrouped and are making an immediate return to division one.

As for Rasharkin it will be a tall order to fulfill all the fixtures let alone stay up but we will give it our best shot. If we are not successful we will take our medicine and move on. To suggest there are other motives at play here smacks of sour grapes and places question marks over the integrity of our club which is not acceptable.

so you think clubs should be punished for being dual clubs!!
No, wasn't me.

Not at all, I understand the pressure dual clubs are under and sympathise with them. I do feel though that there was ample opportunity to play the games before this time of year. The fact they weren't played is obviously the county board's fault and outside Rasharkin's control. I don't believe the postponement of said Moneyglass game was appropriate though.
Anyway, just noticed the result of today's game so its all irrelevant.

imtommygunn

Well done to St Teresas. Finalists in 2 of the 3 ulster football championships isn't bad. Monaghan Harps ran a county star littered Cookstown close too which puts Ahoghill's result against them into perspective as not a bad one.

nrico2006

QuoteWell done to St Teresas. Finalists in 2 of the 3 ulster football championships isn't bad. Monaghan Harps ran a county star littered Cookstown close too which puts Ahoghill's result against them into perspective as not a bad one.

County star littered team?  Bit of an exaggeration.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

That team is full of boys with country experience. Ok only two current seniors at present but I think there are maybe two others who have played senior and various at minor and u21. Ok they can't be that good if they're playing intermediate - unless they're on the way up - but they definitely have a lot of strength in there for this level of football and Tyrone always do very well in intermediate and junior within ulster.

Anyway, good luck to both antrim teams in the final.

culchie11

sambasaffron,
Moneyglass match was a farce to start with, as moneyglass had a wedding the day before and just didnt turn up at their own pitch, but then somehow were allowed it to be refixed, after appeal and counter appeal.

as you said little odds now as rasharkin have admitted defeat and arent playing anymore games in div 1 and are confined to division 2 yet again.

SambaSaffron

I think the reason they didn't turn up is because they were refusing to play. They had been told it was a free weekend for the wedding, then a few days before were told the game had to be played. They offered to play Friday or Monday, but this wasn't agreed.

As for Cookstown nrico, their team is full of all-ireland winners. 2 at senior level, quite a few minor and u21. About 5 of them have senior county experience of some sort, they are an amazingly strong intermediate team. So for Harps to run them so close shows Ahoghill gave a good accout of themselves.

saffron sam2

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 16, 2009, 08:44:51 AM
QuoteWell done to St Teresas. Finalists in 2 of the 3 ulster football championships isn't bad. Monaghan Harps ran a county star littered Cookstown close too which puts Ahoghill's result against them into perspective as not a bad one.

County star littered team?  Bit of an exaggeration.

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 08, 2009, 11:25:58 PM
I was looking at the Cookstown team in the programme today. I am not from the club but by my reckoning from the starting team, players with all ireland medals
Ryan Pickering (minor)
John Gilmore (minor)
Martin Murray (minor)
Ray Mulgrew (minor/senior)
Owen Mulligan (minor/senior)
Conor O'Hare (minor)
Barry Mulligan (minor)
Conor Mullan (minor)

players who have played for Tyrone seniors - P McGurk/ G Fitzpatrick/ O Mulligan/ R Mulgrew/ J Gilmore/ maybe M Murray but not 100% on that one.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Glensman

Some competition for places on the football team next year... (just posted this on the hurling section as well).

"Herron switching codes

Dinny Cahill
19 November 2009

New Antrim hurling manager Dinny Cahill has suffered an early setback with the news that Brendan Herron is set to declare for Liam Bradley's footballers next year.

Herron, who had been involved with the hurlers last year, attended a recent football trial match against a Derry selection and it's believed he will be included in the county's McKenna Cup squad.

According to the Irish News, Herron is one of at least four players who didn't feature in last year's championship who are set to commit to the football squad in 2010. Randalstown's Micheal Magill and Rasharkin clubman Paul Doherty, who were both abroad last summer, are set to rejoin Bradley's squad, as is former captain Sean Kelly.

Kelly quit the squad following Antrim's 2008 Ulster SFC defeat to Cavan. He missed the team's subsequent Tommy Murphy Cup success and wasn't involved last season."

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Glensman on November 19, 2009, 01:45:32 PM
Some competition for places on the football team next year... (just posted this on the hurling section as well).

"Herron switching codes

Dinny Cahill
19 November 2009

New Antrim hurling manager Dinny Cahill has suffered an early setback with the news that Brendan Herron is set to declare for Liam Bradley's footballers next year.

Herron, who had been involved with the hurlers last year, attended a recent football trial match against a Derry selection and it's believed he will be included in the county's McKenna Cup squad.

According to the Irish News, Herron is one of at least four players who didn't feature in last year's championship who are set to commit to the football squad in 2010. Randalstown's Micheal Magill and Rasharkin clubman Paul Doherty, who were both abroad last summer, are set to rejoin Bradley's squad, as is former captain Sean Kelly.

Kelly quit the squad following Antrim's 2008 Ulster SFC defeat to Cavan. He missed the team's subsequent Tommy Murphy Cup success and wasn't involved last season."

Good news...for the footballers at least...any word on CJ's status??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

imtommygunn

Great to hear Sean Kelly is back. Herron should also offer options in the HF line which is something I feel we've been lacking. Magill should offer more ball winning options in the FF line.

As for CJ - well I'd be surprised if Baker took him back. I'd say he'd be right not to as well.

SambaSaffron

PD will add a bit of height in big Niall's absence. Herron will be an option round half-forward, can't see him breaking in to first 15 though, even if Tomas goes. Good news though, gives us a bit of squad depth, especially since we could be missing the St Galls boys for the league.

saffron sam2

Heard a couple of other names as well from up round Hannahstown.

milltown row

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 19, 2009, 09:11:33 PM

Does he teach in La Salle? has he made a comeback?

stiffler

Anyone got a list of the squad for the McKenna Cup?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on November 19, 2009, 09:20:12 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 19, 2009, 09:11:33 PM

Does he teach in La Salle? has he made a comeback?

The comeback's planned. He doing spin cycle classes every day and has cut his lunch down to two sausage rolls baps (from five).

Watch this space.

Oh and Chris Lynch has been recalled also.