Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 94

Give it up Max. SS2 wiped the floor with you. Your arguements are awash with inconsistencies and just don't hold water.  They make you look like your clubmate i.e wet behind the ears, and it's beginning to look like you've got water on the brain. :D :D :D :D

Sonny Joe

For anyone to suggest that Mc Guckian has not had a massive contribution to Derry fortunes is either

a) knows nothing about Derry GAA
b) hates him.

Now which one is saffron sam or Spirit94

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Spirit of 94

Quote from: Sonny Joe on November 20, 2008, 11:18:44 AM
For anyone to suggest that Mc Guckian has not had a massive contribution to Derry fortunes is either

b) hates him.

The suggestion SJ (arrogantly potrayed as fact by MM) was that, only for Maghera and McCrory success, 93 would never have happened. An audacious statement which ignores so many other factors and personal inputs. McGuckian's contribution cannot and has not been questioned.  It has merely been pointed out, and rightly so, that it was his contribution combined with many other factors which culminated in the 93 success.

billy the kid

I would have to agree with Spirit  ::) ::)(dont worry spirit I cant believe it either) on this. Mc Guckian definately had an impact in the development of the players that passed through his regime and therefore was a factor in the 1993 success and many others, however there were also a multitude of other factors involved, E. Coleman, Sigerson experience, 89 minor win, Club scene in Derry being of very high standard and very competitive, and it the team was packed with natural ability complimented with a few tough nuts and the collective will to win. There are other major and minor factors that contributed to that teams success, Mc Guckian was def a factor but so were many other things.

Thats my tuppence worth anyway.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

the green man

Quote from: Sonny Joe on November 20, 2008, 11:48:24 AM
Also I did not interpet MM posts as suggesting ARROGANTLY that 'only for Maghera and Mc rory success 93 would never have happened'  

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 19, 2008, 03:13:58 PM
Only for Maghera and Mac Rory cup football 93 would never have happened.  

Sonny Joe

Agree with Spirit, If you read all the posts it seems to me that both he and MM are saying the same thing, but saying it in different ways. What spirit failed to recognise in his agreement with Saffron sam was how Saffron has little respect for Mc Guckian and sledged his teams. MM is correct in saying that he gives no credit.

Green man you have just cut one 12 word sentence out of an entire discussion to suit yourself. In the context of the thread of discussion both are saying the same thing. Sure I could cut a 10 word piece to counter your post, but that would be simple minded.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Maximus Marillius

I read the posts and have concluded that you have colluded with saffron sam to undermine Mc Guckians contributions. Did you properly read what saffron sam wrote. A sledging of Mc Guckians teams.
Quote from: Spirit of 94 on November 20, 2008, 10:07:45 AM
Cheers SS2, you've saved me the bother. The most comprehensive dismantling of an opinion (or should that be fact :D :D) as I have seen on here.   Not that it was that difficult.

To arrogantly state that only for Maghera and McCrory success 93 would never have happened, when anyone with a braincell knows that it was the combination of a multitude of factors, indicates the level of footballing intelligence you're dealing with here.  :D :D

I have highlighted where you colluded with SS2 dismantling of Mc guckians pedigree and contribution to derry success.
Also I did not interpet MM posts as suggesting ARROGANTLY that 'only for Maghera and Mc rory success 93 would never have happened'  No doubt all the factors that you allude to are also crucial. But if Mc Guckian had not did what he did in Maghera, 93 IMO would not have happened.

Thankyou Sonny, for seeing right through SS2

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 20, 2008, 10:28:03 AM
SS2 you in your own very sad way of trying to undermine Mc Guckians contribution you inadvertly proved my point. Since M c Guckian came on the scene it  has coincided with an up turn in Derrys national successes. A senior All Ireland,  4 national league, 3 Ulster c'ships, 3 All Ireland minor, 9 Ulster minor c'ships and 1 u21 All Ireland, 5 Ulster u21 c'ships. He is one major factor, along with many others. I wont even start about the impact he has had on ballinderry underage success and how it has trans formed them into one of the big clubs in club football

I have proved no such thing, since your point can neither be proved nor disproved. Unless, of course, there is a parallel universe where McGuckin was never appointed to St. Pat's and Cork beat Dublin in the 1993 final. Until you can come up with any evidence suggesting such a universe exists, then this thread is all about opinions. My opinion is that McGuckin's contribution to the Derry success in '93 is being overstated, not least by yourself. This is regards to a general discussion as to whether or not Antrim senior county teams would improve if more Antrim schools took part in the MacRory. My opinion is that it wouldn't and I have based my opinion as much as possible on facts. You can argue what you want with statistics and I feel my point is valid based on the statistics both of us supplied. You feel the opposite is valid. Hence the point of discussion boards, but more posters (like I said from your own county) seem to think you are over-egging the pudding.

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 20, 2008, 10:28:03 AM
The one thing that is very noticable in all SS2 responses to most arguments his his never ending ability to never give people credit. A complete begrudger of the highest order.

I wouldn't call it begrudgery. I refuse to raise to deity anybody who rises above the mediocre. Too many people on this board and in the GAA in general will liberally throw terms like true great and but for him such and such would never have happened etc. about in general conversation. I don't. McGuckin's MacRory achievements are impressive, but his overall contribution to Derry's win in 93 isn't. That's not begrudgery, but like I said before you you keep firing out the insults when the fat's in the fire.

Quote from: Sonny Joe on November 20, 2008, 11:18:44 AM

b) hates him.

Have you been reading all this thread?

A worthwhile input there.  ::)

Interesting to note, that whilst being accused of having little respect for McGuckin's achievements (I have not said that anywhere), out of me and my accusers (Max and SJ) I am the only one with enough respect to consistently spell his name correctly.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 20, 2008, 12:06:28 PM
I read the posts and have concluded that you have colluded with saffron sam to undermine Mc Guckians contributions. Did you properly read what saffron sam wrote. A sledging of Mc Guckians teams.
Cheers SS2, you've saved me the bother. The most comprehensive dismantling of an opinion (or should that be fact :D :D) as I have seen on here.   Not that it was that difficult.

To arrogantly state that only for Maghera and McCrory success 93 would never have happened, when anyone with a braincell knows that it was the combination of a multitude of factors, indicates the level of footballing intelligence you're dealing with here.  :D :D

I have highlighted where you colluded with SS2 dismantling of Mc guckians pedigree and contribution to derry success.
Also I did not interpet MM posts as suggesting ARROGANTLY that 'only for Maghera and Mc rory success 93 would never have happened'  No doubt all the factors that you allude to are also crucial. But if Mc Guckian had not did what he did in Maghera, 93 IMO would not have happened.

I simply used contemporary sources to dispute your 'high quality coaching' argument and to re-inforce my argument that MacRory Cup football is not about promoting what is best for the students playing on the teams. Now, if you like, I will list instances from many different MacRory teams and managers to back my point up.

You feel free to keep firing the insults.

Spirit of 94

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 20, 2008, 12:06:28 PM

The thing is Max, everyone can see throw you.  You're as transparent as..............well water. :D :D :D :D

SJ, one question, what in your opinion had the biggest influence on the 93 success?

Maximus Marillius

SS2 you have just insulted Mc Guckians coaching methods, and then you have the face to repsond by saying 'feel free to keep firing the insults'  :o :o :o

Honestly I cant remember the last post I read from you, where you actually give someone credit.

Spirit WTF is 'everyone can see THROW you' ....where is SS2 when you need him to degrade another mans spelling :D

QuoteSJ, one question, what in your opinion had the biggest influence on the 93 success?
Cant believe you just did that...you..you..you....colluder :P :D

Spirit of 94

Now you're resorting to form Max.  You're arguements are dead in the water :D :D so resort to insults.

the green man

Move it to the Derry Thread lads

Spirit of 94

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 20, 2008, 12:49:40 PM
SS2 you have just insulted Mc Guckians coaching methods, and then you have the face to repsond by saying 'feel free to keep firing the insults'  :o :o :o

No, I am simply questioning your understanding of the term 'highly skilled coaches'. Not an insult, McGuckin's methods were obviously successful at MacRory level.

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 20, 2008, 12:49:40 PM
Honestly I cant remember the last post I read from you, where you actually give someone credit.

Outside the current one, it was probably this one.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 20, 2008, 12:21:38 PM
I wouldn't call it begrudgery. I refuse to raise to deity anybody who rises above the mediocre. Too many people on this board and in the GAA in general will liberally throw terms like true great and but for him such and such would never have happened etc. about in general conversation. I don't. McGuckin's MacRory achievements are impressive, but his overall contribution to Derry's win in 93 isn't. That's not begrudgery, but like I said before you you keep firing out the insults when the fat's in the fire.

Keep on trying to twist my words to suit your agenda.

Now, the current topic is "Would you agree that Antrim schools participating in the MacRory would improve the Antrim senior football team?".

If your answer is no, then we can stop this debate.

If your answer is yes, could you extrapolate that answer for me. I am yet to be convinced.