Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 13, 2008, 03:13:27 PM
Heard another name as shoe-in for the manager's job from my source in the Antrim senior squad. If there is an iota of truth in this rumour, then I despair. A sort of tenuous link to Faughart, Co. Louth, but absolutely none to Dungiven. There is a massive difference in bringing a club team from division 5 to division 1 and managing a senior inter-county team.
is the name you heard a guy who I am well known to 'Love'
heard a rumour about this guy being in the running
I hope to heck that its not true for the sake of antrim football as he makes Jody look like mickey harte

milltown row

tell all lads who is he? whats his cv and how much does he cost?

rashCharacter

Your a bit slow on the pick up Milltown!

milltown row

so will he get McGourty to play for Antrim this year, seeing they both write for the Gaelic Life?

i've been sidetracked with the two main runners in White and Delargy. didn't see this coming

saffron sam2

The clue is in my post.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 13, 2008, 03:13:27 PM
Heard another name as shoe-in for the manager's job from my source in the Antrim senior squad. If there is an iota of truth in this rumour, then I despair. A sort of tenuous link to Faughart, Co. Louth, but absolutely none to Dungiven. There is a massive difference in bringing a club team from division 5 to division 1 and managing a senior inter-county team.

Not only are you boys contemptible, anonymous lunatics but you're also quite thick as well. It can't be Seosamh Mac Scath Fearthainne because, being from Dungiven, he a more than tenuous link to Dungiven.

Don't think White, Delargy or Brolly are really in the running.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

saffron sam2

Ask big Louie's chap. He told Butterknife. Some guy McSherry at St. Brigid's.

No, never heard of him either.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

cant see it happening, unless he said he'd do it for nothing.

JimStynes

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/recruiters-to-keep-an-eye-on-international-rules-tour/2008/10/12/1223749843644.html
Recruiters to keep an eye on international rules tour
Tom Arup | October 13, 2008

THE visiting Irish international rules side will include at least one player who could join an AFL team as early as next year when it tours later this month for a two-Test series.

The player, who doesn't wish to be named, is part of player representative Ricky Nixon's Irish recruitment program and is being looked at by Richmond, the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda.

Nixon yesterday told The Age four players were likely to spend time with AFL clubs in November but only one would play for Ireland in the relaunch of the international rules competition.

"The thing is most of the players we are looking at over there play in the minor Gaelic competitions, they have a very successful under-20 competition," Nixon said.

"We are not looking at senior Gaelic players because they are too old to convert into AFL players because you need to be taught how to kick a drop punt when you are 16 or 18 at the latest."

Nixon held a training camp in Ireland in August at which the Tigers, Bulldogs and Kangaroos were joined by Geelong and Brisbane in considering the Irish talent.

Nixon said Geelong and the Lions had since decided against recruiting.

St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser said yesterday the club was looking at the Irish representative in Nixon's program but was unsure of his desire to come to Australia.

The Saints will certainly consider another player, Niall McKeever, who will spend a week with St Kilda in early November.

McKeever, an athletic 190-centimetre player, has gained the interest of at least one other AFL club.

Fraser said the Saints were particularly keen on McKeever because he didn't come from a successful Gaelic club and was less likely to return to Ireland hoping to win an all-Ireland final.

"There is a slightly different opportunity for the kids who are from the south of Ireland, as opposed to the lure of kids from up north, who maybe have less of a chance historically of securing a chance of an all-Ireland final," Fraser said.

The first international rules Test will be played on October 24 at Subiaco, followed by the second Test on October 31 at the MCG.

Nixon said the Australian team, which would be much younger than the Irish outfit, could get a "rude shock" compared to the 2006 series, which Australia won comfortably.

"The two games (AFL and Gaelic football) have come so close to the way they're played now it's not funny," Nixon said.

"Watching Gaelic games over the last few months, the style of play is very similar to AFL with guys running from the back line and hitting up a forward and getting it back and scoring. It is very similar to the style of play we use now.

"They'll (the Irish) take it right up to the AFL players. there is no doubt about that."

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: nearlymad on October 09, 2008, 11:03:26 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 09, 2008, 08:22:16 AM
Quote from: nearlymad on October 09, 2008, 05:52:45 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 08, 2008, 09:40:15 PM
Quote from: milltown row on October 08, 2008, 09:15:43 PM
he's busy ;) is rafferty still with S,niell?  or will he make his way back to his second club and make a dream paring of McCartan and Rafferty ;D

raff for Antrim

Either would be more than acceptable, but nearlymad is referring to a Derry man.
A Derry man? How do you get that from my postings?

I didn't, a source close to the good doctor told me.
It's gets very interesting all this talk the Doctor and his friends.

The Baker??

robertemmet

So are you saying that baker is in for the Antrim job then?

Maximus Marillius

I'm not saying anything...I'm asking...hence the question mark

robertemmet

Can't see him being in for the Antrim job.  I'd say he will be back with glenullin next year

Cruncher

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 13, 2008, 09:58:13 PM
Ask big Louie's chap. He told Butterknife. Some guy McSherry at St. Brigid's.

No, never heard of him either.
It is true that mc sherry is leaving st brigids this year. It would be a big surprise if he went to the antrim job. Heard rumours that he was going for the st galls job before wee james got in.

NAG

Very quiet on the St Galls match, what is the good word are they as good as they have been previously I havent seen as much of them this year as before?