Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

all this shite talk about Derry managers in antrim so what. all these teams need to put the effort in, and if they are up to the standard come august then yeah it might have been worth the money paying for these guys

culchy1

good to see some newcomers, well some of them have been around for a brave while now, are showing well in the mckenna cup.
fair play to beller, i see he got the starman in the irish news this morn even though we got beat.
and paddy logan back in the saffron jersey, he used to win games on his own at underage, he has had back luck with injuries so lets hope paddys back to his best.
was anyone at the match?

i see also the u21s played donegal 2 matches on sat with 2 different teams and won both.
the only worrying thing for me is that tomas mccann, played for u21s on sat and then came on for seniors yesterday.
he shudnt have to do this.

SlimShady

if he was given the choice Tomas would have played both anyhow- he can't get enough football!!

wasn't at the game but heard it was a crap game though Antrim done well considering they played most of the game with 14 men after Higgins was sent off.

aontroim

I see Sambo & Woody are blooding on their minors while the 'Dall contingent are absent.....

Antrim v Down Senior Hurling Challenge 15 January 2007

Antrim and Down senior hurlers played a friendly on Saturday 13th Jan at Mallusk in very wintery conditions.

Down started brightest with a goal and a point before Antrim replied with their first point through Johnny McIntosh, followed up by ponts from Kieran Kelly, Karl Stewart, and McIntosh again. Paul Shields then scored a goal and point for Antrim with McIntosh adding a goal to his tally before half time. Down had scored a goal plus 2 further points to leave the score at half time Antrim 2-5 v 2-2 Down.

Conditions worsened in the 2nd half with both teams making many changes at half time. Antrim scored another 6 points in the second half through Liam Watson, Paddy Doherty, Paul Shields, and Johnny Campbell while Down added another goal to leave the final score Antrim 2-11 v Down 3-2.

theskull1

I think these lads would benifit more from a years club hurling rather than going straight in to Senior. Take a look at what Ross Carr is doing in Down. He is deliberately not selecting the star minor players from a couple of years ago so they can enjoy their football for a year or two before they are ready to be called in at 21/22. Both Shortie and Paddy are dual players and have had a hard two years slog already in the minor ranks (shortie in particualar). Paddy Doc has still to prove his worth at Senior level for his club so why include him in a County Squad at such a young age? Dinny did this with Darren Quinn for 3 years and he's still not the hurler everybody expected him to be for the simple reason (IMO) that he sat on the bench for 3 years instead of cutting his teeth with his club first. I do think Darren will come though. Shortie is a class act, but he needs to fill out and that will take time. I think this is not in the best interests of the player for him to be included

Were there any other minors playing on Saturday?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

aontroim

Randal McDonnell was also playing (minor 2 years ago?)

milltown row

Just got word that the old south Antrim hurling leagues will be starting up again, this will be good providing all clubs participate this time and all the hassles of the previous attempts fixed. Refereeing was always the problem and a lot of teams couldn't be bother to turn up.

This was the main reason why we (Naomh Gall) asked to play in All County leagues, but if there is good numbers for the league then it should bring more hurling into Belfast........ Any Thoughts?

culchy1

i hear that the div2/3 debacle between rossa and glenavy will be resolved in the next 24/48 hours.
i wonder what outcome they have come up with.

Ethan Edwards

rossa always seem to be involved in some sort of arguments, Am I right that a few years ago they refused to be relegated from ACFL Div1 and the county board accomodated them by making it a 11 team league that next season
That'll Be The Day

NICSSA

That would be right, they threatened to pull their players off the county panels if they were relegated and the county stated they wouldn't be relegated due to their services to the county!!

Hurley man

Has anyone in North Antrim been able to get a copy of Gaelic Life yet? I seen the ad on TV last night. It's out on a Friday.

maxpower

i've got it both weeks its been out its in a Newsagents in Ballymoney

I'd be pretty sure it would be in the shops in Dunloy too.
What happens next????

culchy1

aye its available at all good newsagents,although they are few and far between in north antrim!

maxpower

How many clubs in Antrim would be back training yet?

My own club haven't had the AGM yet so it'll be a couple of weeks before we're back
What happens next????

Hurley man

aye its available at all good newsagents,although they are few and far between in north antrim!

Do you mean that good newsagents are "few and far between" or there is not many copies of Gaelic Life. What did you think of it?