Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Holyful f**k.  Where on earth do we go from here??  I've been following Antrim for the best part of 30 years and I don't think I've ever been so low as I am now.  Pay for play/grants/allowable expenses???  These cnuts should be paying us!!!  We haven't a prayer against Cavan.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

milltown row

so will the boys all be going states side this summer? tickets bought already i'm sure. Cavan must be laughing now. what did Jody say after the match? did the lads take it for granted.

everyone is on here saying jody was right that he sticks to his guns and principles but surely now he has serious egg on his face.

for the Cavan game i'd say we'd be lucky to fill the stand that day

Glensman

Complete disbelief.

Not sure what to say. Probably better saying nothing.

Madden in for the Tommy Murphy.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Glensman on April 21, 2008, 12:48:35 PM
Complete disbelief.

Not sure what to say. Probably better saying nothing.

Madden in for the Tommy Murphy.

yes - to play
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ONeill

Maybe Jody has been distracted lately by his imminent family arrival.

You cannot base his tenure on one horrendous game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

milltown row

the Tommy Murphy cup final was horrendous, the Tipp game was horrendous and finally the Waterford game at home were a point was all we needed to get out of div 4 the basement league and we still could not get it, was horrendous!!!!! I am amazed as to why people in Antrim have ideas that we can compete in football.

Maybe if we stopped playing football and concentrated on Hurling and put the resources that we wasted on football into hurling, we might make inroads..... I doubt it as well...

It's hard to be optimistic coming from Antrim

theskull1

I hear that there was a terrible attendance at the game on Sunday. Must be shite for the players to put in all the effort and run out to an echo'y, empty Casement park. If the passion isn't there in the crowd, then it'll never come out of the team. Not enough antrim people care enough (including the players) about Antrim footballers. What are you gonna do? It's just the way it is.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

themanwhowasntthere

Quote from: theskull1 on April 22, 2008, 08:40:17 AM
I hear that there was a terrible attendance at the game on Sunday. Must be shite for the players to put in all the effort and run out to an echo'y, empty Casement park. If the passion isn't there in the crowd, then it'll never come out of the team. Not enough antrim people care enough (including the players) about Antrim footballers. What are you gonna do? It's just the way it is.

Well, with the credit crunch, rising food prices, rising oil / petrol prices, imminent water charges etc, not many people are gonna want to fork out £8 to watch last Sunday's performance, are they? I hear the Ulster Championship match is going to be live on the TV, that'll not get many going to Casement.

Minder

Well the players should be well used to poor attendances in Casement. Whatever happened to being self motivated? Did they run out on Sunday, see an empty stand and think "i couldnt be bothered my h*le". Are the players that precious they need 20,000 people roaring them on? What happens in away matches when there are no Antrim supporters? I wonder did they ever think "we have been training since October and this is our chance to achieve our goal for the season"............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hoof Hearted

could they not play the league games in Corrigan Park or maybe Toome
i know cargin dont have a stand but it would an Antrim/Waterford or Antrim/Tipp crowd
hurling matches have been held outside casement in recent years, dunloy and ballycastle i think, so would this not be an idea for next season
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

theskull1

Quote from: themanwhowasntthere on April 22, 2008, 09:32:58 AM

Well, with the credit crunch, rising food prices, rising oil / petrol prices, imminent water charges etc, not many people are gonna want to fork out £8 to watch last Sunday's performance, are they? I hear the Ulster Championship match is going to be live on the TV, that'll not get many going to Casement.

Other than using it to go back and allow you to watch past football matches tmwwt, do you do anything else with that time machine of yours :)

Minder....not saying that they shouldn't be self motivated, but there surely must come a time when as a player, you wonder if what you are doing is worth it if so few appreciate the efforts you put in. Passionate supporters motivate players to push on and achieve things through being more commited to "a cause". There is no "cause" for Antrim players worth talking about because so few outside the wire really care what they get up to. Of course in an ideal world it shouldn't matter but the reality is that it becomes tedious in the GAA when you are busting a gut when so few are supporting your efforts. Are you dismissing this reality?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Onlooker

As a Tipperary supporter, I was very surprised, though obviously pleased that Antrim lost at home to Waterford thus allowing Tipp to win promotion and a place in the qualifiers.  A few weeks ago it did not seem possible that anyone other than Offaly or Antrim would be promoted.  Having seen Antrim play Tipp and thinking about the Waterford result, I believe that Antrim felt that they were certain for promotion before they played those games.   They played poorly against Tipp and I was more than surprised to read last week that they were playing an unchanged team against Waterford.   Waterford should have beaten Tipp in Dungarvan and if there had been anything at stake for them, I could have seen them beat Antrim, but after losing to Tipp by an injury time goal, when they were 2 points ahead it was hard to see them lifting their game a week later in Casement Park.  Having beaten Wicklow (away) in the first game in the league and then drawn with Offaly in the top of the table match, Antrim should certainly have been able to win promotion, but they seemed to lose form or focus in the last 2 matches.  Another season in Div. 4 is  no big deal for Tipp or Antrim, but missing out on the qualifiers for this year is a serious blow and very unfair to Antrim, Waterford & co.   I still think that Antrim will give Cavan plenty of it in the Ulster Championship and might surprise a lot of people, including their own fans!!!.  I agree with you, theskull1 and the lack of support applies as much to the Tipperary footballers as it does to Antrim.  Very small crowds are disheartening for players, but they just have to do it for themselves and the genuine followers.   As Declan Browne said in his speech after captaining Tipp to win the Tommy Murphy Cup in 2005 " many thanks to our supporters, sure we know them all by name".  Many decent teams have poor support.  It is a pity, but that is the way it is.

Square Ball

Quote from: ONeill on April 22, 2008, 12:10:54 AM
Maybe Jody has been distracted lately by his imminent family arrival.

You cannot base his tenure on one horrendous game.

me thinks the event happened last week
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

milltown row

i see paddy Cunningham scored 1-9 in last nights extra time final for UUJ, fair play till ya.

could have done with that scoring on Sunday but ah well, maybe next year for the mighty Saffrons