InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2023, 10:35:26 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on August 17, 2023, 09:42:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2023, 09:23:10 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on August 17, 2023, 08:56:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2023, 05:44:53 PM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on August 16, 2023, 05:01:00 PM
Quote from: Caesar on August 16, 2023, 03:54:40 PM
Have you any thoughts on why the city teams in particular seem to be struggling at underage? What has changed in the city that doesn't apply to the country boys?

Said this on here a few times, don't think too many agree but i believe schools have a massive part to play, Antrim the only county in Ulster not represented at macrory level. Look at the clubs performing well over recent years ourselves creggan and aghagllon all tend to send their children to schools outside of Antrim and competing at high level in schools football.

So the teams that did well that didn't send their kids to schools outside of Antrim did ok?

Not saying its the be all and end all i know there's plenty other factors outside that but just pointing out its a big factor.
And of course there have been a few teams that have done well with their kids going to school in Belfast.

And i know it is easy for me to point fingers at the city clubs, but truth is us in the country don't have the same problems, as in many areas of the country football is everything, in Belfast there are many many more distractions outside of football

I've seen that level of football at schools, and been lucky enough to cover the games over the years, the conditioning is something well above what I went through at school, not sure whether ist costs or whatever that from under 16 up that clubs can't be putting all their kids through that level of conditioning also... 2 or 3 players from a club playing at that level doesn't always raise the the standard at the club, otherwise SW clubs would have dominated the Antrim championships since the schools cup started.

It would make a brave difference like i said in a previous post as long as you have the conveyor belt of 2/3 players to come through to seniors its enough.
Having a few Antrim schools competing at the highest level would be a great help having our younger players playing against the best players in ulster at their age all year around. Many Clubs have and schools even have top quality gyms to gain that conditioning.

Your statement highlighted in bold in simply not true as at one point Belfast has had schools competing at the highest levels.

Would you not agree having a few Belfast school competing at the highest schools level would bring a few clubs forward?

As highlighted before when St Marys won the Hogan cup Antrim hadn't won a game in Ulster never mind competing for over 13 years, a lot of our better players came from schools that played in levels well below the McCrory cup, in fact a lot left school at 16.

I've said that it will certainly be better for all involved to have all lads at that age level to be exposed to better training intense games and better conditioning, not one or two lads from various clubs, but the fall from teams in the city isn't due to not playing that level of football, otherwise the city teams wouldn't have amount of titles they have.

I believe the country teams are better is down to how they make the club the hub of the community, a place to belong to and facilities wise second to none, which brings a sense of pride back. I don't have to think back too far to remember getting the car stuck in fields and changing in the car and up and down pitches, now its a different planet

And there we have it...we can agree on something for once  ;D ;D

SaffronSports

What are the numbers like in city clubs in football underage.

My daughter plays Camogie for a rural club and more often than not you're having to play the city clubs at 12, 13, 14 a side as they don't have the numbers otherwise. Even matches in Belfast that's often the case.

imtommygunn

Lol. Thought it had been a while since he made the headlines.

gallsman

I tried to hint at it a few days ago and nobody bit :-\

Mental stuff altogether. Dunno why the independent is saying "we can reveal" in an article today. Sunday World had it at the weekend.

quit yo jibbajabba

"he is a very intelligent man but he is also a complete head the ball" 😂😂

Milltown Row2

Seen the story a while back.. last quote sums him up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

I always found him a decent chap who fell on hard times. Fine footballer.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2023, 07:52:00 PM

One of the best players to gave worn the Saffron...well spoken and intelligent lad.....sorry to hear this...

Kidder81

Quote from: country bumpkin on August 18, 2023, 08:14:28 AM

One of the best players to gave worn the Saffron...well spoken and intelligent lad.....sorry to hear this...

Well spoken lol wtf does that have to do with anything ? Does that give you licence to do as you please ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 18, 2023, 08:49:37 AM

Well spoken lol wtf does that have to do with anything ? Does that give you licence to do as you please ?

Where in his post did he mention it gives him a licence do do as he pleases?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2023, 09:01:26 AM

What does it have to do with anything ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 18, 2023, 09:02:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2023, 09:01:26 AM

What does it have to do with anything ?

He didn't pass it off as being ok because he said well spoken and intelligent as you have implied.

bannside

Throw your arms around the big lad and look after him...most of us have done things we regret.

5times5times

Quote from: bannside on August 18, 2023, 12:35:39 PM
Throw your arms around the big lad and look after him...most of us have done things we regret.

Inc beating lumps of your woman? you must be a great guy...