Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on June 26, 2023, 10:02:44 AM
Thrilling game, I was at our place as we had hosted Antrim ladies v Longford, the roar from the social club when Antrims late goal in Croke went in could be heard all around Toome! To be fair McEntee has managed CJ well and not over exposed him. Cant wait to see him on Wed night v Portglenone.
Something to build on for next year and something hopefully others will want to come and be part of. Was it just me or were there several scores Meath got when the shooter went completely unchallenged? Centre Half back is definitely a position we could strengthen for next season. Good year though all in all.

Some of the Meath lads up front had a bitta pace about them too, we are missing a few players from the squad recently so Andy has played what he feels has worked best for him, hopefully we can plug those gaps better next year.

In a game you won't always make the right calls, should I pass, shoot, solo or track a player there was some of those in yesterdays match, and the players straight away know they haven't made the right move, but they have defo progress as the season went on and didn't lie down yesterday.

I don't mind if my team loses providing they have maximized their potential and just beat by the better team on the day, I hate when they go out without a fight, and that didn't happen yesterday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pub Bore

I was very critical after the Armagh game but I have to take my hat off to Andy McEntee and the players, that was a performance to be proud of.  Clearly the management are trying to build something with a certain style of play and type of player.  A couple of wee mistakes and taking the wrong option now and again was the difference.  First time I've seen Adam Loughran play "live", he looks a very tidy footballer indeed, but they all played well. No reason Antrim can't get to Div 2 or be seriously competitive in the Tailteann next year.

imtommygunn

We struggled a bit with their FF line. Only one criticism would be I don't know if our FB line had enough cover or maybe struggled but it was a serious shift put in by all. When we were down by 7 or 8 or whatever it was there was serious character shown to get back into it.

Like others have said I am not convinced we should have won it but we definitely could have won it.

The hope would now be that people see McEntee is trying to build something and we get buy in. These players will have improved significantly this year and then hopefully a few others come in too. We had a lot of injuries and the replacements acquitted themselves well.

I think McEntee is trying to play a lot more of a physical game which is quite foreign to us and another year of conditioning will improve us massively with that too.

NorthAntrim

Full back line exposed yes. But we were 7 or 8 down. Id rather watch us push up and go for it than get beat by 10 and try and limit them. Small margins, decision making in the final third the difference. I thought the half back line of Jordan Lynch and McAleese were super. Our strongest line, steady, carried the ball well and tried to make things happen.

imtommygunn

Jordan is a fantastic player.  (The others are good too but his direct running is brilliant).

SaffronSports

Thrilling game, I was at our place as we had hosted Antrim ladies v Longford, the roar from the social club when Antrims late goal in Croke went in could be heard all around Toome! To be fair McEntee has managed CJ well and not over exposed him. Cant wait to see him on Wed night v Portglenone.
Something to build on for next year and something hopefully others will want to come and be part of. Was it just me or were there several scores Meath got when the shooter went completely unchallenged? Centre Half back is definitely a position we could strengthen for next season. Good year though all in all.

I was at the Ladies game too. It was funny as that game was just kind of closing out with it being over as a contest long before when the roar went up. Cargin isn't the best for signal on the phone and the last update I'd got had Meath well ahead so we were all trying to refresh our phones to get updates. I was tempted to nip in and watch the closing stages but had promised my daughter she could try to get a few pics with the Antrim girls.

Sportacus

Agree about Conhuir Johnston.  Conhuir and Adam Loughran in the half forward line next year is a great prospect.  He split the defence yesterday when he hit a ball with the outside of the boot into the full forward line. The team will be built around him in the next few years, he's that good.
As someone else said there were 5 or 6 times when they got free shots from 35 yards out, something not completely right about our defensive system.
Such a good outlook because we know that those players a year older and with more S&C will be even better, plus a good few other players dotted around the county could make a challenge.
Another player worth a mention from yesterday was Cathal Hynds.  He fought like a lion all day even though he was up against it. Full of heart.
Our underage teams have been complete duff for years, but somehow we've turned a corner yesterday.

Pub Bore

Quote from: SaffronSports on June 26, 2023, 11:21:23 AM

I was at the Ladies game too. It was funny as that game was just kind of closing out with it being over as a contest long before when the roar went up. Cargin isn't the best for signal on the phone and the last update I'd got had Meath well ahead so we were all trying to refresh our phones to get updates. I was tempted to nip in and watch the closing stages but had promised my daughter she could try to get a few pics with the Antrim girls.

Fair play to the Ladies.  They're flying at the moment.

NorthAntrim

Boyle also showed well yesterday. Some of our tackling and turnovers yesterday were outstanding

imtommygunn

Where does that leave the ladies now? Are they through to knockouts? Will that be last 4 or last 8?

Wolfetones

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2023, 11:33:31 AM
Where does that leave the ladies now? Are they through to knockouts? Will that be last 4 or last 8?

Last 8 with a home quarter final.

imtommygunn

Cheers. That is some going. Ladies scene going well in all codes.

SaffronSports

All Ireland quarter finals for the ladies. Topped their group so guaranteed a home tie in the quarters.

SaffronSports

Just seen the draw was made earlier. Home to Monaghan in the quarters. Beat them away in the Ulster's so could shot of a semi-final place.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2023, 11:37:59 AM
Cheers. That is some going. Ladies scene going well in all codes.

Now if they could just do it without engaging in those ridiculous protests it would be even better.