Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NatSoSaff

Yep big Eunan is certainly another you wouldn't turn away! Big McCann and young Mcguinness the half back are others from aghagallon I would have in the panel and pushing for starts. but who of those are there (or due to come in)?

I agree with you about Hynds BS. I, like many others across both games, felt he was hung out to dry by others who should have been filing back. Pace, power and the athleticism and is he only18/19? Promising, but not ready just yet.

Spike

BS physically Eunan has it but we are all still waiting to see if mentally he can step up in the the big matches. He has been around the county setup for a number of years now. Your excuse may suit Eunan and yourself, but there is a sizeable difference between mauling St Enda's at home on a Wednesday night in the Antrim league and battling for every square inch of space against an Armagh, which the last 3 managers required. Hopefully McEntee has the man management skills to get these performances out of Eunan, should he return, as he has all the skills required.  Personally think some others in the Aghagallon squad were worth giving a call to. 

Milltown Row2

Big Frank from Aghagallon has already got a call up for a county set up ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2023, 03:34:09 PM
Big Frank from Aghagallon has already got a call up for a county set up ;)

Pacy wee thing

bannside

The point you make Spike is valid to an extent, but Eunan stepped up rightly to score the wonder point that took the points home from Louth that got us ultimately into Div 3. I think you mean 2 managers, not 3. Lenny brought him in, and imo he was in a year or two early, but he has physically got what it takes and a manager who believes in him (ie gives him confidence to be able to play his way through the odd mistake) would yield a sizeable dividend. Anyway he's not there atm so this is hypothetical.

Milltown Row2

Was someone saying there wasn't one Antrim lad on the sigerson teams? I see 3
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2023, 07:02:17 PM
Was someone saying there wasn't one Antrim lad on the sigerson teams? I see 3
Me.  Think I see 4 or 5 across the Queens and UU squads now that I've put my glasses on!  Couple of lads at best in the MacRory quarters.  Those squads are teaming with players from other counties . Good luck to the few lads who are involved, but it's a big hole in our pipeline. 

Milltown Row2

Two 11's but yes we are short at that level, I've seen these teams close up in games before they hit sigerson when UU get to this level there are players that turn up later, I take it UU is a combination of all the UU colleges?

Milltown Row2

Jamie Lamont was on the seconds of UUJ one game I did, and a lad from our club, but the panel they have is massive

bannside

Watching it here live. Two starters Patrick Finnegan and Dominic Mc Enhill, both at 11. Plus three subs out of 2 x 35 man panels. Level at HT.

I recall being at a Sigerson final between the two, circa 2006, and I reckon there were 8 starters and 6 subs. Not sure we really made the most of that talent tbh. Yes we pushed Kerry to their limit in 09 with most of these players featuring, but I always thought there was more in this group.

Anyone name the Antrim players in that final?

Milltown Row2

Mcgourty McCann for starters?

bannside

Micko for sure. Andy Mc Clean..Possibly Brendan too? Tomas or James Loughrey, Deaghlan O Hagan??

imtommygunn

McCann started late that year and would have been a definite starter had he went all year. I thought Tomas was floating round that year too? Micko Herron was a decent singer son footballer.

Queens always seem better than the sum of their parts and jordanstown too many individuals.

bannside

Fair enough Duine. Thought Aidso and Pol Doc and a few others had started, but there you go.

Anyone who thinks Paddy Finnegan is not close to county standard would have to agree he looked very comfortable in that company tonight, hardly put a foot wrong and was on the ball a lot.

Anyone want to take a go at when the last two Antrim players to play in a Sigerson final? Hint. It was only a couple of years ago.

EOC1923