Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realisticsaff

Not 1 positive from that Dr McKenna Cup campaign, 30 minutes into the 2nd half without a score, if it wasn't for M Byrne we could've lost by 20 yesterday unless we get players back we'll struggle to pick up any points in league campaign

bannside

Agree Lar. Sean Og O Neill is an absolute gem of a player. I'd be confident that his class will shine through fairly soon and be on Andys radar for a starting berth and in all liklihood a long county career.

His ten minute contribution in Armagh yielded not one, but two skilful and courageous blocks, and yesterday looked lively in the short time he was on the pitch. I imagine his apprenticeship will be short.

NatSoSaff

My assessment is that there was a lack of leadership on-field throughout the game which contributed to a very disjointed performance. This is understandable, given the young inexperienced men thrown into the spine of the team. I go back to my point from Wednesday's game however, the positives are that we are starting to look alot more on par in terms of our physical condition, and these young lads are gaining great experience. That being said, I too was disappointed not to see more of Sean O'Neill and some of the younger panelists. Hopefully they have had/have a good number of challenge games lined up to bring them on a bit.

Is anyone in the know about who is still due to come into this panel? Are the McCann lads retired from intercounty? I was encouraged to see Adam Loughran amongst the panel yesterday. Hopefully he is back soon. Where is Conor Murray this year?

bannside

Andy is definitely looking for a physical type of player, one who can cover big yardage. On top of that he is coming in at a time when natural squad leaders have moved on Mick, Conor, Ricky amongst others.

That's going to mean a whole new dynamic, and that takes time. Who are the natural leaders in the squad now?

It's great to see Dommo Mc Enhill get a chance after a horrible experience under previous management where he didn't kick a single ball all year. He's stepped up and great to see it.

Aghagallon two Adam and Ruairi still to come into the mix, Paddy Mc Aleer, Jamie Gribben, Declan Lynch there too as an option for full back.

There's a panel there for sure, but also there's an urgency to get 15 in right positions with 3 or 4 reliable subs and a game plan to suit. You can't play both Ryan and Pat at 13, so that needs sorted. Two completely different type of players.

Then there's corner back. Two vital positions and Paddy Mc Cormack and Peter Healy can fill those,  we know that from experience.

Midfield - CS needs to go back in there as first phase ball winner as opposed you a galloping WHF who wants to get shots off. That's not how I see him.

I'd have Kevin Small at 11, that's just a personal opinion. And SON in a wing half back position. Dermot for me is better at 10 or 12, he has got good feet for getting scores and will work all day!

There's no need to panic. Transition we may be in, and without doubt it could be a hard year. But I will settle for that if Andy has a settled and new team in place this time next year and ultimately leaves us in a better position than he finds us. We should all get fully behind him from the start.

Just my opinion, others will no doubt differ.

realisticsaff

Quote from: bannside on January 09, 2023, 01:04:44 PM
Andy is definitely looking for a physical type of player, one who can cover big yardage. On top of that he is coming in at a time when natural squad leaders have moved on Mick, Conor, Ricky amongst others.

That's going to mean a whole new dynamic, and that takes time. Who are the natural leaders in the squad now?

It's great to see Dommo Mc Enhill get a chance after a horrible experience under previous management where he didn't kick a single ball all year. He's stepped up and great to see it.

Aghagallon two Adam and Ruairi still to come into the mix, Paddy Mc Aleer, Jamie Gribben, Declan Lynch there too as an option for full back.

There's a panel there for sure, but also there's an urgency to get 15 in right positions with 3 or 4 reliable subs and a game plan to suit. You can't play both Ryan and Pat at 13, so that needs sorted. Two completely different type of players.

Then there's corner back. Two vital positions and Paddy Mc Cormack and Peter Healy can fill those,  we know that from experience.

Midfield - CS needs to go back in there as first phase ball winner as opposed you a galloping WHF who wants to get shots off. That's not how I see him.

I'd have Kevin Small at 11, that's just a personal opinion. And SON in a wing half back position. Dermot for me is better at 10 or 12, he has got good feet for getting scores.

There's no need to panic. Transition we nay be in, and without doubt it could be a hard year. But I will settle for that if Andy has a settled and new team in place this time nextvyear and ultimately leaves us in a better position than he finds us. We should all get fully behind him from the start.

I think we are all behind him but if he's going to experiment surely he shouldn't have picked the exact same 15 that performed poorly v Armagh

EOC1923

I didn't get to Armagh but I watched online. I attended yesterdays game. Seems McEntees player of choice is a tall player regardless of footballing ability. Finnegan at centre back or the big lad Dowling aren't intercounty standard footballers, and never will be either.

bannside

Over 30 players got game time across both games and I'm sure the ones who didn't aren't over the moon about that. If I was Andy I'd be scheduling four or five in house games (Probables V Possibles) and driving this as hard as possible to allow a first team to evolve and a panel to form organically on who is in form and catching the eye. Be surprised if that's not the agenda for next three or four weeks.

NAG1

No such as not inter county standard in football any more.

It is not a game of skill in the main, get a load of big fit lads who can run.

Have a couple of skilful lads up front and rely on them. Seems to be the blueprint in most counties outside of the top 3/4.

Sure arent a load of even club teams telling their own players to not shoot, even when in position  ;)

EOC1923

Quote from: NAG1 on January 09, 2023, 01:24:27 PM
No such as not inter county standard in football any more.

It is not a game of skill in the main, get a load of big fit lads who can run.

Have a couple of skilful lads up front and rely on them. Seems to be the blueprint in most counties outside of the top 3/4.

Sure arent a load of even club teams telling their own players to not shoot, even when in position  ;)
Intercounty standard was probably the wrong way of saying it, just not good enough is what I meant.

Milltown Row2

Be keen to hear peoples best 25 in the county that are available for selection

Would sort out most of the above conversation
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Well don't be shy MR2.. lol.

Andy might have to look at a dozen newbies to catch just two ir three that fit the bill. We need to give him space to do that without judging every move.

EOC I'm uneasy about saying publicly who's not good enough. These are all amateurs making a huge commitment.  If we trust the process the cream will rise to the top.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on January 09, 2023, 01:58:08 PM
Well don't be shy MR2.. lol.

Andy might have to look at a dozen newbies to catch just two ir three that fit the bill. We need to give him space to do that without judging every move.

EOC I'm uneasy about saying publicly who's not good enough. These are all amateurs making a huge commitment.  If we trust the process the cream will rise to the top.
M Byrne
P McCormick
D Lynch
Cahir Donnelly
D McAleese
Sean O Neill
Marc Jordan
Conor Stewart
Kevin Small
R Murray
Ruairi McCann
Jamie Gribbin
O Eastwood
R McCann (Aghagllon)
P Shivers

This would be my team from what is available for selection, young Cahir can step up from the U20s

bannside

And for what it's worth J Finnegan has very few miles on the clock, was on Ulster rugby development squad for much of his teenage years then went travelling. imo is open to vast improvement in the right hands.

There are many who either didn't see or didn't appreciate the talent of Owen Gallagher. Very lightly used in Saffron but held in high esteem in Galway football circles. Obviously some coach knew how to get the best from his big frame and powerful direct running style.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: realisticsaff on January 09, 2023, 01:10:53 PM

I'd have Kevin Small at 11, that's just a personal opinion. And SON in a wing half back position. Dermot for me is better at 10 or 12, he has got good feet for getting scores.

There's no need to panic. Transition we nay be in, and without doubt it could be a hard year. But I will settle for that if Andy has a settled and new team in place this time nextvyear and ultimately leaves us in a better position than he finds us. We should all get fully behind him from the start.

I think we are all behind him but if he's going to experiment surely he shouldn't have picked the exact same 15 that performed poorly v Armagh

Jesus wept  ::) he didn't.

NatSoSaff

I'd have Kevin Small at 11, that's just a personal opinion. And SON in a wing half back position. Dermot for me is better at 10 or 12, he has got good feet for getting scores and will work all day!

There's no need to panic. Transition we may be in, and without doubt it could be a hard year. But I will settle for that if Andy has a settled and new team in place this time next year and ultimately leaves us in a better position than he finds us. We should all get fully behind him from the start.

I would agree with alot of this BS. If things go tits up with Andy this year I'm getting the club to nominate you next year  ;D