Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would ye whist

Hmmm, I find this an interesting point here, I have noticed that over the semi finals in both hurling and football we have had a rinse and repeat of officials across hurling and football:

Take for instance Patrick Tumelty who is reffing what 2 years? Involved in SFC semi final as lines man, SFC final as linesman and SHC semi final as linesman, Minor B final football (a good LD man and friends of Toland and Anto)

Colm McDonald- SFC semi ref, SHC Final linesman and now U20A final ref (a friend of Toland and Anto albeit an intercounty hurling ref)

Toland- IFC semi referee and on the line for the SHC final and D1 playoff final (a LD man, head of refs and friend of Anto)

MR2- IFC semi final and final (always believed if you did the semi you didn't do the final) (a Belfast man and part of the Anto, Toland, McDonald and MR2 axis)

Kevin Parke- SFC final linesman and SHC final ref (again a intercounty hurling ref, however more vital a Belfast man and part of the Anto, Toland, McDonald and MR2 axis)

Charley Hemmingworth- SFC final linesman last year*, however what is most amazing is that he was banned the previous year for abusing a referee, in what other county would he be reffing under 12's again never mind on the line for  a SFC final the following year (what is vital is that he is Anto, Toland, McDonald and MR2 axis which is obvious by his umpiring for McDonald which almost cost Cargin dearly)

Look at the age profile of those refs barring Kevin (and Conall fair play he deserved his final) I do not see much of encouraging and bringing through young refs

Sorry to give facts MR2, however it is better than the blind faith you place in your paymasters

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2022, 11:02:42 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on October 18, 2022, 10:52:19 PM
One thing they are right on is the farce of using St Enda's for big club games, if you don't agree you didn't attend the games there. The Belfast referees click thing going on is pretty obvious as well. Surprised they didn't mention Anto from Ld who wears an ear piece at all the games and stands at pitch side for some unknown reason.
Only negative they got a bit personal for my liking and I can't agree with doing that.

What click? , Anto organises the referees, assesses and encourages new younger ref's.. the county finals in hurling were done by inter county referees, inter county referee did senior football final, are we not to support these lads? He organises the radios and a lot of the time helps with the fourth official, do you think people just turn up at these games with a whistle?

there was 6 finals 3 Belfast clubs did the football and 2 north Antrim and a SW man did the hurling..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on October 19, 2022, 10:20:53 AM
Hmmm, I find this an interesting point here, I have noticed that over the semi finals in both hurling and football we have had a rinse and repeat of officials across hurling and football:

Take for instance Patrick Tumelty who is reffing what 2 years? Involved in SFC semi final as lines man, SFC final as linesman and SHC semi final as linesman, Minor B final football (a good LD man and friends of Toland and Anto)

Colm McDonald- SFC semi ref, SHC Final linesman and now U20A final ref (a friend of Toland and Anto albeit an intercounty hurling ref)

Toland- IFC semi referee and on the line for the SHC final and D1 playoff final (a LD man, head of refs and friend of Anto)

MR2- IFC semi final and final (always believed if you did the semi you didn't do the final) (a Belfast man and part of the Anto, Toland, McDonald and MR2 axis)

Kevin Parke- SFC final linesman and SHC final ref (again a intercounty hurling ref, however more vital a Belfast man and part of the Anto, Toland, McDonald and MR2 axis)

Charley Hemmingworth- SFC final linesman last year*, however what is most amazing is that he was banned the previous year for abusing a referee, in what other county would he be reffing under 12's again never mind on the line for  a SFC final the following year (what is vital is that he is Anto, Toland, McDonald and MR2 axis which is obvious by his umpiring for McDonald which almost cost Cargin dearly)

Look at the age profile of those refs barring Kevin (and Conall fair play he deserved his final) I do not see much of encouraging and bringing through young refs

Sorry to give facts MR2, however it is better than the blind faith you place in your paymasters

One thing they are right on is the farce of using St Enda's for big club games, if you don't agree you didn't attend the games there. The Belfast referees click thing going on is pretty obvious as well. Surprised they didn't mention Anto from Ld who wears an ear piece at all the games and stands at pitch side for some unknown reason.
Only negative they got a bit personal for my liking and I can't agree with doing that.

What click? , Anto organises the referees, assesses and encourages new younger ref's.. the county finals in hurling were done by inter county referees, inter county referee did senior football final, are we not to support these lads? He organises the radios and a lot of the time helps with the fourth official, do you think people just turn up at these games with a whistle?

there was 6 finals 3 Belfast clubs did the football and 2 north Antrim and a SW man did the hurling..

So with all that info can you give me or tell me who these young ref's are that are coming through that you would like to be doing the games?

Like I said there is no click that I'm part of, I get a text, I reply Y or N and move on, I don't live in Belfast, haven't for over 24 years now, so have never social met these ones you are on about. Is St Endas now Belfast and not SW? when did that happen as ones on here have been claiming them for years no as SW.... I suppose SW or Belfast to suit who's posting..

So with your knowledge of the ref's can you tell me who'd be best?  Obviously someone doing it over 2 years?

As for your facts I didn't change what you have said, you have added the AXIS whatever that means, Though you left out that Sean Laverty did the other semi final ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

Thou protest too much MR2

It was you that stated Anto promotes young refs and helps them..............I know for a fact a young ref Thomas (his surname escapes me) phoned Toland a few year ago asking why he was stuck doing Div 3 games and he was told to mind his place due to his age...............call that promoting all you want

I did leave Sean out as he was not rinsed nor repeated.

St Enda's is North Belfast geographically whether you like it or not, again a fact

Are you telling me a ref of two years is so indispensable he is the best option that exists over all the rest, nothing to do with the fact he is an LD man

As someone else said this year, rotten to the core

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2022, 10:35:28 AM
Quote from: Would ye whist on October 19, 2022, 10:20:53 AM

So with all that info can you give me or tell me who these young ref's are that are coming through that you would like to be doing the games?

Like I said there is no click that I'm part of, I get a text, I reply Y or N and move on, I don't live in Belfast, haven't for over 24 years now, so have never social met these ones you are on about. Is St Endas now Belfast and not SW? when did that happen as ones on here have been claiming them for years no as SW.... I suppose SW or Belfast to suit who's posting..

So with your knowledge of the ref's can you tell me who'd be best?  Obviously someone doing it over 2 years?

As for your facts I didn't change what you have said, you have added the AXIS whatever that means, Though you left out that Sean Laverty did the other semi final ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on October 17, 2022, 04:18:11 PM
So how do we sort the referees situation out then?  They are critical and essential to our games. They are amateurs and part timers and do not deserve some of the abuse directed at them. None of them (well at least the vast vast majority) begin a match with a conscious bias against one team or the other.

And respect is a two way street.  We expect them to know the rules, be of a certain fitness level and act with complete impartiality.   The black card / yellow card situation is beyond a farce now and despite what some say, the referee has a huge bearing on how the match fares out by his (sometimes wavering) view of the tackle. Phantom strikes being reported by linesmen and umpires.

Whichever side of the argument you fall on, the referees need help, need constant training and need protection.   They should not have to deal with the abuse dished out to them in every single match whether that be an U7 Go Game or a Senior Championship final.

But what is the answer?  Wholesale red cards? captains only allowed to speak? enforced substitutions/black cards?      whatever it is needs a sensible debate as it feels like we cant go on like this

Spike put up a very good post....

Could we have a normal chat about it without constantly throw mud at people who can't defend themselves on here while ones hiding behind the keyboard

Would ye whist:

So you couldn't give me a name, you left Sean out as it didn't suit you

Geographically Hightown is Newtownabbey if we are trying to be funny

I used 2 two years because you gave off about PT doing games and he's only two years in? Like do you read what you put up?

I'm debating, would you rather nothing was said about it?

They said something rotten that I won't forget though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

So you couldn't give me a name, you left Sean out as it didn't suit you- I did leave Sean out, yes, it was not pertinent to my point, however that doesn't suit your all-out defence of your buddies

Geographically Hightown is Newtownabbey if we are trying to be funny- Funny their address on the Antrim website is Glengormely which forms party of a North Belfast constituency- not being funny but factual

I used 2 two years because you gave off about PT doing games and he's only two years in? Like do you read what you put up? I fail to see your point here, surely Colin Mallon, Paul Burns, Eamon Hammill etc could be given games as a linesman to get experience of SFC, men who have been reffing for a good few years

I'm debating, would you rather nothing was said about it? It seems it is only you allowed to debate, you started you post by saying Spike said can we not..............do you read what you post

antrimman667

Is the age groups being changed to u12, u14, u16, u18 next year?

Saffsof82

Quote from: antrimman667 on October 19, 2022, 11:08:43 AM

Theres a clubs meeting next week to discuss it.

Hoof Hearted

What club are the SV lads from ?
Only listened for the first time yesterday just to see what all the fuss was about.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on October 19, 2022, 11:02:37 AM
So you couldn't give me a name, you left Sean out as it didn't suit you- I did leave Sean out, yes, it was not pertinent to my point, however that doesn't suit your all-out defence of your buddies

Geographically Hightown is Newtownabbey if we are trying to be funny- Funny their address on the Antrim website is Glengormely which forms party of a North Belfast constituency- not being funny but factual

I used 2 two years because you gave off about PT doing games and he's only two years in? Like do you read what you put up? I fail to see your point here, surely Colin Mallon, Paul Burns, Eamon Hammill etc could be given games as a linesman to get experience of SFC, men who have been reffing for a good few years

I'm debating, would you rather nothing was said about it? It seems it is only you allowed to debate, you started you post by saying Spike said can we not..............do you read what you post

Look this is my last post on this for a while as its melting my brain...

If you are willing to take a positive approach and come into do this then we will see a vast improvement on things as a fresh approach can only be good, from the outside in things probably seem a lot easier to manage, I wouldn't know. as like I say, I get the text and reply Y or N to the games, I couldn't care less if its reserve or under 15c

barnish oggie

Quote from: Saffsof82 on October 19, 2022, 11:29:36 AM

Fingers crossed they go for it, as I think it needs to change back to the old way.

imtommygunn

Agreed - I don't think it's great the way it is.

u21 as opposed to u21?

antrimman667

is it country wide they are taking this approach??

Spike

Hope so, always felt like a natural order that didn't need to be changed.    though i wouldn't be against u18 1/2, u16 1/2 ....... as it seemed to balance school years and their peers out a bit better.   

johnnycool

Quote from: barnish oggie on October 19, 2022, 12:25:12 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on October 19, 2022, 11:29:36 AM

Fingers crossed they go for it, as I think it needs to change back to the old way.

If a county wants to revert back to U18 for minor then all 18yo's won't be able to play in adult competitions...

antrimman667

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 19, 2022, 11:49:56 AM
What club are the SV lads from ?
Only listened for the first time yesterday just to see what all the fuss was about.

They aren't worth fussing about over. and I see that they have been using twitter acting like trolls now as well !!! kids that know nothing !!