Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: Dunsilly King on October 11, 2022, 10:52:58 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on October 11, 2022, 07:56:53 AM
Get rid of the group stages, they are not working. League kick off in mid April, finish at end of August. Then straight into a knockout championship with the 4 teams seeded (Seed 1 and 4 on one side of draw, 2 and 3 on the other side). Plus no relegation playoffs, bottom 2 go down and top 2 go up.

That means you will not have a county player playing in the league, which translates to you having your county player play one game in the season for you if your beat in the first round to playing four games for you if win the title. ?????

if the issue is the 1 game you're out then try implement a back door. teams then guaranteed 2 games which mean something. the groups end up with dead rubbers. Go knockout with a backdoor and there's no dead rubbers and teams still get 2 gos at it, better trying that than the groups.

Rodger Mona

Could someone explain to me on the reasons we are seeing soo many ruck type scenarios taking place around breaks, where at times 6 men can be in the middle of it.

Notcied it alot on saturday and sunday, and during the semi final games. Seems to be a thing in Antrim Football that refs are letting develop. On dry conditions its good to watch as a contest but with the handling and soft ground Sunday there was serious fouls taking place in the rucks which the ref seemed to turn a blind eye to.

Also dont see much of these situations in Tyrone, Derry, Down or Donegal club football where iv been watching seinor championship games. Is it unique to Antrim due to having soo many dual Refs?

EOC1923

A lot of rucks, with the ref standing by watching it unfold, then somehow calling it one way or the other. Once it gets into the ruck as such should it not be blown and hopped?

Sportacus

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 11, 2022, 03:02:25 PM
A lot of rucks, with the ref standing by watching it unfold, then somehow calling it one way or the other. Once it gets into the ruck as such should it not be blown and hopped?
Yes. On Sunday the ref stood dumbstruck time and again while the players bunched and dipped over the ball which was like a bar of soap.  Very unfair on the players, lucky no one got injured.  Then he just randomly blew for one team or the other. 

barnish oggie

Quote from: Rodger Mona on October 11, 2022, 02:32:59 PM
Could someone explain to me on the reasons we are seeing soo many ruck type scenarios taking place around breaks, where at times 6 men can be in the middle of it.

Notcied it alot on saturday and sunday, and during the semi final games. Seems to be a thing in Antrim Football that refs are letting develop. On dry conditions its good to watch as a contest but with the handling and soft ground Sunday there was serious fouls taking place in the rucks which the ref seemed to turn a blind eye to.

Also dont see much of these situations in Tyrone, Derry, Down or Donegal club football where iv been watching seinor championship games. Is it unique to Antrim due to having soo many dual Refs?

Definitely. At times the rucks in the semi finals were ridiculous.

Thankfully it only happened a few times on Sunday.

I understand the ref giving it a few seconds to see if someone emerges with the ball but some were going on maybe 15-20 seconds with 6-8 men all in.

It is just a recipe for someone coming in to clear the ruck and all hell breaking loose.

Inviting red card incidents is not something anyone wants to see, especially in a semi final or final.

Milltown Row2

The rucks in this occasion were brought about by the ball not being caught and landing on at peoples feet, the conditions insured that there was going to be a lot of handling errors and there was all over the pitch.. Throwing in the ball at every ruck would have created more rucks as the players will not move back the 13 meters they should.

The ref on many occasions is waiting to see a foul during those, normally they happen and a free is given, he can't give a foul if he doesn't see it so will allow it to continue..

A lot of handling the ball on the deck during those so its what he see's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

You were very lenient on the old ball off the ground on Saturday MR2 especially for a young Glenravel sub

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on October 11, 2022, 03:48:35 PM
You were very lenient on the old ball off the ground on Saturday MR2 especially for a young Glenravel sub

Yeah, to be honest, the first one I didn't see as a Dunloy player just crossed my path as he 'dipped' the ball the other one I gave him the benefit of the doubt as it was rolling into his hands, I did then ask him to stick his toe under the next one lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2022, 03:44:59 PM
The rucks in this occasion were brought about by the ball not being caught and landing on at peoples feet, the conditions insured that there was going to be a lot of handling errors and there was all over the pitch.. Throwing in the ball at every ruck would have created more rucks as the players will not move back the 13 meters they should.

The ref on many occasions is waiting to see a foul during those, normally they happen and a free is given, he can't give a foul if he doesn't see it so will allow it to continue..

Was this a conscious dictation by the committee MR2?   just asking as, like other posters earlier, there appeared to be a lot of these long 'rucks' that occurred in this years championship matches.  I'm not saying it is right or wrong just to know where we all stand going forward

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on October 12, 2022, 09:13:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2022, 03:44:59 PM

Was this a conscious dictation by the committee MR2?   just asking as, like other posters earlier, there appeared to be a lot of these long 'rucks' that occurred in this years championship matches.  I'm not saying it is right or wrong just to know where we all stand going forward

I wouldn't imagine so and its been happening up and down the country and not just in football, hurling is wild for it also and the primary reason is players are told that they need possession, that causes the rucks, years gone by lads would have just hoofed that ball or lashed on it in hurling, not the case anymore..

Personally I'll wait till I see a free of sorts, be it a pulled shirt push in the back or touching the ball on the ground, if there is just the 'mauling' type thing with no actual foul what can you blow for? so unfortunately it goes on a bit longer, not pretty but that is down to the coaching, they aint coaching the rucks by the way, they are coaching winning primary possession

EOC1923

Funny old season, cant see any managerial changes for top half clubs or Aghagallon next season. Either their club did well or didn't do as well as expected but clubs will think they aren't far away namely Kickhams and Portglenone. Thoughts?

country bumpkin

So according to Kieran Mc Gourty, they (Cargin) are one of the greatest county champions.
Now who am I to disagree with the former St Gall's magician....

JimStynes

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 12, 2022, 04:31:31 PM
So according to Kieran Mc Gourty, they (Cargin) are one of the greatest county champions.

They are without doubt one of the greatest teams in antrim history. Is it 6 titles in 8 years? Obviously the St Galls team from the 00s is the greatest ever.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on October 12, 2022, 05:55:36 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 12, 2022, 04:31:31 PM

They are without doubt one of the greatest teams in antrim history. Is it 6 titles in 8 years? Obviously the St Galls team from the 00s is the greatest ever.

Obviously  :D

paddyjohn

Cargin & St Galls combo over the last 15 years.

1. Paddy Murray

2. Kevin O'Boyle
3. Andy McLean
4. Colin Brady

5. Tony Scullion
6. Sean Kelly
7. Justin Crozier

8. Sean Burke
9. Mick McCann

10. Kevin McGourty
11. Kieran McGourty
12. Tomàs McCann