Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 15, 2022, 10:17:50 PM
It would probably be more relevant to list the names of the people who were beating doors down looking for the job but who were overlooked.

Exactly, go and see how many people want to take these teams ? The list would be short
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Pocs pints and the gaa

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on June 15, 2022, 01:09:12 PM
Relegation yes.i would say Aghagallon are in trouble this year

Big trouble. As are Clann Eireann in Armagh. The North Lurgan football has died off after last seasons successes.

ck

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 15, 2022, 10:29:25 PM
It would probably be more relevant to list the names of the people who were beating doors down looking for the job but who were overlooked.

Exactly, go and see how many people want to take these teams ? The list would be short

I have never been keen on Dads taking teams their sons play in, particularly at county level. I don't think you tend to see it in other counties. I'm sure there are good intentions but its just not a progressive step. 

Saffsof82

Quote from: ck on June 15, 2022, 11:01:14 PM

I have never been keen on Dads taking teams their sons play in, particularly at county level. I don't think you tend to see it in other counties. I'm sure there are good intentions but its just not a progressive step.

Paul Devlin with tyrone u20 did it

marty34

Quote from: Saffsof82 on June 15, 2022, 11:09:41 PM
Quote from: ck on June 15, 2022, 11:01:14 PM

Paul Devlin with tyrone u20 did it

Kieran Kingston ruthless with his own son on the Cork senior hurling team.

Colm Collins with Podge Collins in Clare.  Tough when he was a dual star.

Lár na páirce 1

The big two couldn't be separated tonight ,cargin probably the better side,both missing 3/4 regulars ,it will be some game in semi final ,if I'm not mistaken not a single card dished out tonight must be a first for this fixture.

Rodger Mona

Was up watching Cloney v Aghagallon last night. Cloney played most of the game with 14 men. Aghagallon a shadow of the team i saw last year. Looked very clueless on the ball and gave alot away. Aside from trying to cut the game rough, they didnt seem to have much in the locker. Worry for them. 10points is a real hammering in Gaelic football nowadays

Ciall

Great point!
As far as I'm aware, the u14 football squad takes on enough to put out 2 teams (must be around 60 players) and the full time staff- ie McNulty and McKenna coordinate the sessions and how the teams are run. So not sure how much pump a doting dad would have. Don't particularly agree with the dads thing myself but if we'd a list of the volunteers actually helping we might find out whether The majority are or aren't parents.
It'd be great if we could embed ex players into the squads coaching system, although that's not to say the best players make the best coaches either.

barnish oggie

Quote from: Ciall on June 16, 2022, 08:36:20 AM

Great point!
As far as I'm aware, the u14 football squad takes on enough to put out 2 teams (must be around 60 players) and the full time staff- ie McNulty and McKenna coordinate the sessions and how the teams are run. So not sure how much pump a doting dad would have. Don't particularly agree with the dads thing myself but if we'd a list of the volunteers actually helping we might find out whether The majority are or aren't parents.
It'd be great if we could embed ex players into the squads coaching system, although that's not to say the best players make the best coaches either.

Yeah from what i remember from earlier this year, they took 60 players on.

At that stage 3 coaches were from St Pauls, 1 from Gorts i think and another Belfast coach that i can't remember, plus a couple of Gaelfast reps, Ronan McCartan and Alfie.

Not sure who the doting dad reference is about, as personnel might have changed since then but there was a definite city bias in the selections at that stage.

Maybe some were fathers and it would be likely that they were but i think it was more focusing on getting their own club players in the squad.

I appreciate there won't be many putting their names forward, but to be honest none of the coaches i spoke to in SW were even asked, including myself, so it had obviously already been sorted among the Belfast clubs before word went out.

country bumpkin

Grandson on the under-14 development squad and having been at a couple of sessions have to admit there are more than a few lads involved who need lessons in the basics.

Would it be possible that a few are looking after their own club's interests.....?

Involvement of South Antrim lads far exceeds reprensation from South West......

barnish oggie

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 16, 2022, 12:31:27 PM
Grandson on the under-14 development squad and having been at a couple of sessions have to admit there are more than a few lads involved who need lessons in the basics.

Would it be possible that a few are looking after their own club's interests.....?

Involvement of South Antrim lads far exceeds reprensation from South West......

100%

Not singling any particular players out but i know some are on St Pauls B team at U15 and you only have to look at the Div 3 league table to see their standard.

It did seem that every player from st pauls that turned up got into the final panel.

Funny that when they had 3 coaches "helping with" the selections.

Fair enough that St Brigids and St Pauls A team are the best in the county but you can't tell me that there aren't SW players missing out on a place because of favouritism of coaches to those they are familiar with.

Milltown Row2

Is it's development squad an academy or county team? Surely the door should be open to everyone who wants to 'develop' their skills providing we have the qualified coaches (seems to be a good few 'qualified' coaches here) to look after them?

My young nephew was on the under 15's that played Sligo last week, though he lives in County Down, so taking not only taking a SW position but a SW one too!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Is that Brian Burns the former Down player?

paddyjohn

Some serious tripe posted on this board.

Honestly to f**k. That coach is to loud for my cubs ears.

Any wonder we're the laughing stock of Ulster.

Belfast GAA man

Think the SW clubs just need to get some good structures in place , put the work in and dry their eyes! Maybe just maybe the Belfsdt clubs have better players at this age ?   ??