Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Kevin Madden has recently come through a major operation which was much more important than anything football related. Will be out of football for a few months at least, we wish him a speedy recovery to full fitness.

country bumpkin

Cannot envisage a long line of applicants.....and cannot sèe a whole host of potential untapped talent.

It will be a real rest for the incoming management to ensure residency in Division Three and if such eludes....the war drums will soon be beating.....

NatSoSaff

Out of the names being mentioned to date, I'd be delighted with any one of Dom Corrigan, Peter Canavan, Malachy O'Rourke or Paddy Tally (provided whoever comes in has a good coaching and backroom team accompanying them). I'd be surprised if at least 2 of those names weren't interested. It will be important to retain the interest of the current players (and some of those that have stepped away recently) so the appointment needs to be a well-respected and known figure head, but also someone who is committed to 3-4 seasons minimum.
Have any other names been mentioned or approached by clubs ahead of this deadline on Thursday?

imtommygunn

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 08, 2022, 01:30:26 PM
Cannot envisage a long line of applicants.....and cannot sèe a whole host of potential untapped talent.

It will be a real rest for the incoming management to ensure residency in Division Three and if such eludes....the war drums will soon be beating.....

Yeah we have never got any big names before so in reality I don't why they would come now...

Honestly think some people are over egging where we are as a county here. Survival in division 3 should be our main goal next year and then do what we can in the Tailteann cup.

marty34

Quote from: NatSoSaff on June 08, 2022, 01:47:51 PM
Out of the names being mentioned to date, I'd be delighted with any one of Dom Corrigan, Peter Canavan, Malachy O'Rourke or Paddy Tally (provided whoever comes in has a good coaching and backroom team accompanying them). I'd be surprised if at least 2 of those names weren't interested. It will be important to retain the interest of the current players (and some of those that have stepped away recently) so the appointment needs to be a well-respected and known figure head, but also someone who is committed to 3-4 seasons minimum.
Have any other names been mentioned or approached by clubs ahead of this deadline on Thursday?

What club(s) has Canavan managed

EOC1923

Got to be realisitic, Malachy O Rourke is  a sought after manager now at one of the top clubs in Ireland isn't going to be attracted to Antrim. Canavan, ok his name alone would draw in players to be part of it but his managerial career so far hasn't been brilliant. Tally would be a good shout, I hear people slagging his style of play but he has a proven record.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: marty34 on June 08, 2022, 01:59:27 PM

What club(s) has Canavan managed

Cavan Gaels, He had a fairly successful period with Fermanagh at county level, brought them a good bit.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: EOC1923 on June 08, 2022, 02:30:11 PM
Got to be realisitic, Malachy O Rourke is  a sought after manager now at one of the top clubs in Ireland isn't going to be attracted to Antrim. Canavan, ok his name alone would draw in players to be part of it but his managerial career so far hasn't been brilliant. Tally would be a good shout, I hear people slagging his style of play but he has a proven record.

In terms of Canavan, again, winning a county senior championship and narrowly losing to slaughtneil in ulster is hardly poor going, Plus he brought fermanagh out of the basement into division 3. I would say its not a bad record thus far at all!

EOC1923

I stand corrected, although watch out, getting a team promoted out of Division 4 doesn't gain much kudos on this board.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on June 08, 2022, 03:48:18 PM
I stand corrected, although watch out, getting a team promoted out of Division 4 doesn't gain much kudos on this board.

Its a good thing that the board isn't listened to, as its just a bunch of wafflers (myself included) who don't take things too serious.

I'd some aul punter giving me loads behind the wire gurning about me being on the GAAboard, like if you're that annoyed don't read it, but hey ho
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

With the exception of Dominic Mc Enhill out of all the games I attended this season cannot name a single player who was not asked to participate in the Antrim side last year....

But I may well have missed to spot emerging talent...

Saffsof82

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 08, 2022, 04:23:56 PM
With the exception of Dominic Mc Enhill out of all the games I attended this season cannot name a single player who was not asked to participate in the Antrim side last year....

But I may well have missed to spot emerging talent...

sure was Dommo not on panel?

bannside

Of course he was. All year and never got a kick of the ball. I despair at the way our forwards were set up, and don't get me started about the defence.

EMG might have done well (got an extreme amount of luck) to get us out of the basement but make no mistake that's where we were heading back at a rate of knots. The Louths and Leitrims that we beat with last second hail Mary's in year one were toying with us at the finish.

The gig was up - Enda knew it too, he's not silly.

ck

Forgot to add my own preference - Marty Clarke. Excellent coach and did a great job with Down U20s last year. Should be approached at very least.

imtommygunn

Bs I'll be honest here- I generally enjoy your posts but don't like your posts on McGinley at all. Why? You blatantly didn't like him as Antrim manager which is fine however you now seem to have resorted to any good things he did were lucky? This IMO is poor form. Yes it turned to shite in the end but there were good things in 5here and you seem incapable of admitting that.

I hope I am wrong but we need to be careful what we wish for. In the last number of years we have talked big ambition with managers but never walked the walk when it comes to getting them. Let's see what we get.