Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on May 05, 2022, 11:58:40 AM
Lamh Dhearg seem to be involved in loads of scraps,creggan v biddies reserves last week ended in a row too,brush brush nothing to see here it seems 😕

People take the 'tackle' too personal in football and its no surprise that they do end up scrapes, retribution.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: referee on May 05, 2022, 01:14:05 PM
Milltown,obviously if you asked smiley duffin about a certain referees' interpretation off the tackle rule in a game v Tir Na Nog last year he wouldn't be too pleased,broken jaw,plate and what not,not to mention a couple of men with broken/cracked ribs

Yeah had the ref seen the incident the way it was meant to have happened he'd have dealt with it, It makes absolutely no sense for a ref to not react and card someone if he see's a 'cardable'  offence, like why wouldn't he? but blame the ref as he was the one that carried it out.

Is this the same Moneyglass that had 2 free for all's with sending off's and multiple yellow cards last week at Aldergrove? I get what you are saying here, some sort of pattern emerging

When did this culture come about that the ref is at fault for causing lads to take lumps out of each other?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Man Marker

the sarcasm is dripping off MR2. I hope your not as arrogant on the filed as a ref as you come across here.

Anyway I main point with refs are how they can contribute to escalating to the tension that is growing in game by their inability to smell trouble in a and get on top of it to prevent escalation. Thankfully most do have that skill.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Man Marker on May 05, 2022, 01:44:03 PM
the sarcasm is dripping off MR2. I hope your not as arrogant on the filed as a ref as you come across here.

Anyway I main point with refs are how they can contribute to escalating to the tension that is growing in game by their inability to smell trouble in a and get on top of it to prevent escalation. Thankfully most do have that skill.

It's not sarcasm at all, play the ball and let the ref's do the best they can. Why does it become a ref thing anyway?

By getting on top of it please explain? Example I gave there was no hassle until last 5 minutes, free for all bookings handed out, next kick out two lads wanted to box, another free for all more bookings followed by 2 straight reds...

Players need to take responsibility for their actions, you're claiming that the ref see's everything

Caesar

Yes the ref should try to 'set the tone' and keep control of the game but the vast majority of times when players lose their discipline it is not the fault of a referee!

Players and management need to take primary responsibility for this. And it's clear there are a few teams who have a problem in this department. LD being one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Caesar on May 05, 2022, 01:57:29 PM
Yes the ref should try to 'set the tone' and keep control of the game but the vast majority of times when players lose their discipline it is not the fault of a referee!

Players and management need to take primary responsibility for this. And it's clear there are a few teams who have a problem in this department. LD being one.

I'm certainly not here to defend any team. I'm one club concerned with and that my own.

If the ref set the tone to the absolute rules there would be more gurnning and that's fact, we'd have lads off in every game and people saying that was soft.

Going back to your last point I've seen plenty this year and years gone by to suggest that there are plenty at all grades having free for alls during games.. it can't always be the ref's fault, just think about it logically

Points a Good Score

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 01:23:20 PM
Milltown,obviously if you asked smiley duffin about a certain referees' interpretation off the tackle rule in a game v Tir Na Nog last year he wouldn't be too pleased,broken jaw,plate and what not,not to mention a couple of men with broken/cracked ribs

Yeah had the ref seen the incident the way it was meant to have happened he'd have dealt with it, It makes absolutely no sense for a ref to not react and card someone if he see's a 'cardable'  offence, like why wouldn't he? but blame the ref as he was the one that carried it out.

Is this the same Moneyglass that had 2 free for all's with sending off's and multiple yellow cards last week at Aldergrove? I get what you are saying here, some sort of pattern emerging

When did this culture come about that the ref is at fault for causing lads to take lumps out of each other?

Moneyglass not the only common denominator in the two matches mentioned

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Points a Good Score on May 05, 2022, 02:24:50 PM

There was no free for all in their game with Tir Na Og, no sending off's either during the game.

Who do you blame when a game isn't ref'd by me?

Typical though, its easier to blame anyone bar your own players/club, we've headers in our club that they'll blame the ref before the ball is even thrown in/up

Man Marker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 01:53:59 PM

It's not sarcasm at all, play the ball and let the ref's do the best they can. Why does it become a ref thing anyway?

By getting on top of it please explain? Example I gave there was no hassle until last 5 minutes, free for all bookings handed out, next kick out two lads wanted to box, another free for all more bookings followed by 2 straight reds...

Players need to take responsibility for their actions, you're claiming that the ref see's everything

getting on top of it means giving yellows, being assertive, verbally letting players know the next time anyone steps cross the line red cards will be shown. Showing one if necessary to send the message. When a ref does the opposite and ignores the intensity of the tackles are happening in front of him you know it is going to escalate. I agree players have to take responsibility, but when you get a a few dirty tackles and its ignored I can tell you your aggression levels go up and is not matched by a level of common sense. And i also agree sometimes with the best will in the world some players don't listen and take nmatters into their own hands regardless of the advise given

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Man Marker on May 05, 2022, 02:32:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 01:53:59 PM

getting on top of it means giving yellows, being assertive, verbally letting players know the next time anyone steps cross the line red cards will be shown. Showing one if necessary to send the message. When a ref does the opposite and ignores the intensity of the tackles are happening in front of him you know it is going to escalate. I agree players have to take responsibility, but when you get a a few dirty tackles and its ignored I can tell you your aggression levels go up and is not matched by a level of common sense. And i also agree sometimes with the best will in the world some players don't listen and take nmatters into their own hands regardless of the advise given

I know what you are saying, and this isn't coming from someone who hasn't a notion of hurling football and what goes into looking after teams.

The yehoooing into peoples faces after a score and a wide is one reason why the tensions rise, supporters behind the wire need to wind their necks in also, I think because they have paid in they can say what they like.  Managers have case to answer for also, if you (like I do) listen to the team talks before throw in then its not surprising the tension is heighten. The getting to know you part at the start could well end up with 5 to 10 yellow cards, that's before I throw the ball up if we, like you said, became assertive..

Things need to start and settle, the game ebbs and flows like that, retribution isn't taking pot shots at someone, retribution should be putting the ball over the bar or creating a score and winning the game.

Most ref's talk during the game, telling lads to take it easy and stop the carry on or you'll end up on the sidelines, that's the warning, might as well say it in Chinese.  If I were to follow the rules like you have said most games would finish with 10 aside.

Trying to control 30 players and managements expectations of how they want the game ref'd must seem very easy, its surprising with all the experts about (and I'm not saying your post is wrong) that we don't have more doing it..

The most popular phrase in a game, by players is "why would you become a ref"

EOC1923

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on May 05, 2022, 11:58:40 AM
Lamh Dhearg seem to be involved in loads of scraps,creggan v biddies reserves last week ended in a row too,brush brush nothing to see here it seems 😕
I have seen most of Cargins games, Lamh Dhearg, St Johns, Portglenone, Creggan, all sporting games. In a laughable way St Brigids the dirtiest team we have came across. Needless off the ball incidents all over the place by people pretending to be hard against a few weeks ago with a mouthy management team on their line. Hearing they fought Creggan reserves last week also (match abandoned).Obviously the Donegal lad is trying to breed some fight into the notoriously soft centred St Brigids men, playing snooker with a rope.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2022, 01:00:55 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 28, 2022, 12:20:06 PM
Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on April 28, 2022, 12:16:16 PM
Kickhams probably favourites for Championship at this stage, reports of a brawl last night at Tir na Nog v Lamh Dhearg, maybe CB chose wrong game to go to 👀

Aldergrove Moneyglass got spicy towards the end goo
Ref had it all under control though !!

Boys just wanted to get to know each other better, swapping shirts and hugging, whispering sweet nothings into each others ears

This was last week, now it was a free for all
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 05, 2022, 02:58:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2022, 01:00:55 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 28, 2022, 12:20:06 PM
Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on April 28, 2022, 12:16:16 PM
Kickhams probably favourites for Championship at this stage, reports of a brawl last night at Tir na Nog v Lamh Dhearg, maybe CB chose wrong game to go to 👀

Aldergrove Moneyglass got spicy towards the end goo
Ref had it all under control though !!

Boys just wanted to get to know each other better, swapping shirts and hugging, whispering sweet nothings into each others ears

This was last week, now it was a free for all

Thats what a free for all is. lads wanting to do a lot of hugging, boxing is different

EOC1923

Certain referees love the tag of 'he lets the game go'. Of course this will be roundly denied.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 05, 2022, 03:16:17 PM

Certain referees love the tag of 'he lets the game go'. Of course this will be roundly denied.

I've never seen a referee in any sport referee the game the same next day out, that's all based on the conditions and teams playing, why do people expect it to be the same?

They ain't professional, this isn't their job, they are in the main ex players. If you were a refereeing now would you say, based on your current knowledge of the rules and previous/current playing career that you'd do a better job than most of our top referees (those that are intercounty, that is) ?

Either you want a stickler of the rules or you want someone who'll let it go, why can't players (like rugby) just put the ball down move back into position, why have a verbal pop at the ref?

I've probably gave about 3 or 4 straight red cards in football, should just start dishing them out more often, that will get control of the game, should be grand after that.