Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Spike that's a horrible stat alright, but don't let's get lost in the detail. Since 1980 I make it we have only won about 5 championship games (not inc qualifiers).

Cavan 81. Down 2000. Cavan 2003. Donegal 09. Cavan 09. Fermanagh away under Fitzy I think.

There's 3 Cavans in there. Plus our excellent effort against them in Breffni two years ago that just fell short.

We had a great record against them, totally in contrast to our record against other counties. This was the first year we had played in a more competitive league. We were at home.

So without sounding too theatrical I make no apology for saying we badly fluffed our lines at Corrigan...and the talking point wasn't just the defeat, but the manner of it. Not wishing to rehash....but context is important when rolling out statistics.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Spike on April 29, 2022, 02:48:48 PM
For those theatrical Antrim supporters with short memories - Games won in the Ulster championship in the last decade (2012-now)

Donegal 28
Monaghan 16
Tyrone 12
Cavan 9
Down 7
Armagh 4
Fermanagh 4
Derry 1
Antrim 1

Courtesy of Cahair O'Kane.

When does Gaelfast kick in?  :D
debates on Gaelfast not welcome on this site . I'd still like to see what the plan is for it but it's seems No be non existent or secret squirrel

delgany

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 29, 2022, 02:55:03 PM
Donegal have won 16 more than Tyrone is the biggest shock to me!

I think Donegal have  4 Ulster Titles and Tyrone 3 in that time ?

Spike

Quote from: bannside on April 29, 2022, 04:06:47 PM
Spike that's a horrible stat alright, but don't let's get lost in the detail. Since 1980 I make it we have only won about 5 championship games (not inc qualifiers).

Cavan 81. Down 2000. Cavan 2003. Donegal 09. Cavan 09. Fermanagh away under Fitzy I think.

There's 3 Cavans in there. Plus our excellent effort against them in Breffni two years ago that just fell short.

We had a great record against them, totally in contrast to our record against other counties. This was the first year we had played in a more competitive league. We were at home.

So without sounding too theatrical I make no apology for saying we badly fluffed our lines at Corrigan...and the talking point wasn't just the defeat, but the manner of it. Not wishing to rehash....but context is important when rolling out statistics.

3 wins against cavan in 41 years is your shut down of that horrible stat and why we should have won this year?  We're in bigger trouble here than I thought if that is our reasoning.      Time for realism on here and ending of the hysterics.     Bread and butter issues need addressed which is why we need to get into the detail of things like gaelfast and is it working for us. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on May 01, 2022, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 29, 2022, 04:06:47 PM

3 wins against cavan in 41 years is your shut down of that horrible stat and why we should have won this year?  We're in bigger trouble here than I thought if that is our reasoning.      Time for realism on here and ending of the hysterics.     Bread and butter issues need addressed which is why we need to get into the detail of things like gaelfast and is it working for us.

You know Gaelfast is aimed at primary level kids and coaching teachers at schools to be able to coach. Not see any if at all till those kids hit minor/senior level
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

It wasn't intended as a shut down Spike - sorry if it came across that way. We have a mountain to climb even to get anywhere near the top ten or twelve counties, thats without any doubt.

A well organised Gaelfast can play a significant role in this, it's one component of many that are needed. There are many others as we all know. Going to take a lot of work by a lot of people, and even with that, could take a decade at least.

In the meantime positive performances by the seniors would at least raise the morale and provide a shop window for aspiring youngsters.

Spike

Fair enough BS,  the sooner we can make inroads on the foundations, the better.  Collectively we need to be all at it within our clubs and getting boys and girls passionate to play for the county.  Some club structures are great, others not so.  We won't find the superstars if a minority are supplying the talent.    Rising tide lifts all.......

country bumpkin

A poor display from the All Ireland champs today....
Will heads have to roll or can any team have an off day..?

rogercasement

Remember where you heard the Derry tip.

country bumpkin

Quote from: rogercasement on May 01, 2022, 06:23:02 PM
Remember where you heard the Derry tip.

Do remember but unfortunately did not bite....RC

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 01, 2022, 05:47:35 PM
A poor display from the All Ireland champs today....
Will heads have to roll or can any team have an off day..?

They were shite and if you look at my predictions on the predictions thread I had Derry to win, some people know football others talk shite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

For those theatrical Antrim supporters with short memories - Games won in the Ulster championship in the last decade (2012-now)

Donegal 28
Monaghan 16
Tyrone 12
Cavan 9
Down 7
Armagh 4
Fermanagh 4
Derry 2
Antrim 1

Had to update above  take the bad look off it for us  ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Saffsof82

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on April 29, 2022, 05:06:04 PM

Donegal 28
Monaghan 16
Tyrone 12
Cavan 9
Down 7
Armagh 4
Fermanagh 4
Derry 1
Antrim 1

debates on Gaelfast not welcome on this site . I'd still like to see what the plan is for it but it's seems No be non existent or secret squirrel

Dont really understand what your beef is with Gaelfast. They work primarily with Primary school children, and are in existence less than 4 years so how could they have influenced the number of senior championships wins our senior county footballers have had in the last 10 years.

bannside

100% improvement Hoof. In fairness that was some performance!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 02, 2022, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on April 29, 2022, 05:06:04 PM

Donegal 28
Monaghan 16
Tyrone 12
Cavan 9
Down 7
Armagh 4
Fermanagh 4
Derry 1
Antrim 1

Dont really understand what your beef is with Gaelfast. They work primarily with Primary school children, and are in existence less than 4 years so how could they have influenced the number of senior championships wins our senior county footballers have had in the last 10 years.

Facts don't suit any of the agendas that are pushed on this board.