Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogercasement

What I'm hearing about the Antrim set up at the minute is, it doesn't matter who they play they are out to win. Such a refreshing situation, fair play Enda, Steve, Sean and Co. Also fair play to fans who travelled down tonight, no doubt bannside was keeping the noise up for the boys!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rogercasement on February 27, 2022, 12:38:58 AM
What I'm hearing about the Antrim set up at the minute is, it doesn't matter who they play they are out to win. Such a refreshing situation, fair play Enda, Steve, Sean and Co. Also fair play to fans who travelled down tonight, no doubt bannside was keeping the noise up for the boys!!

That's a very strange comment? Has that been a problem in the past?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rogercasement

I refuse to get wound up by you MR2 so no comment

bannside

Lol RC, there wasnt too many down but those who did made themselves heard. Sean Kelly was sitting behind me heading up the cheerleaders. I thought he was supposed to be neutral now he is a big shot up at Ulster lol.

Bumped into an old friend Sean O Reilly. Some character he is. Left Ballymena to live in Dublin 40 years ago and rarely misses an Antrim game. Sean was first secretary of All Saints at 17 years of age, but moved to Dublin 2 years later.

Travelled with James McCorley who rarely misses a game either, a great judge of the game, James has coached many of the best players in Cargin over the years. He talked football whole way down and up, man never came up for air once!

bannside

On the football, boy that was a point hard earned. The referre did his very best to equal the worst ever refereeing performance of all time against Antrim (reference Leitrim v Antrim Carrick on Shannon Referee B Judge March 2019) and that's some achievement.

Wrongly black carded Ricky, sent Mc Ginley to the line for nothing, allowed their keeper to pinch 6 yards for the point that out them in the lead (it went over the bar by inches) and brought ball forward 4 times into scoring positions to keep Laois in the match. Players must take some responsibility for this tbf, but it didn't look like dissent - if you even shook your head in disagreement the ball was already on the move.

So that part of it was totally frustrating. It was one of those games I dreaded the long drive home, a one point loss and a busload of what ifs to ponder.

Then up stepped the magician Ryan Murray to somehow manage to squeeze the ball over the bar. Twitter dosent do justice to the score, huge wind blowing all over the pitch, heavy drizzle in the eye, that was odds against. Ryan did the business and secured the point we thoroughly deserved.

bannside

Some fantastic individual performances, the shortlist for standout includes Michael Mc Cann who was back to his imperious best, Kevin Small never stopped working, Conor Murray made one or two mistakes but overall a huge contribution, Ryan who rarely lets us down and a hugely impressive display throughout from Patrick Mc Aleer who just about gets my nod.

Plenty of others who could join that list for sheer effort alone.

The point came at a cost, we picked up a few injuries, Paddy Mc Brides in particular looked nasty and only in pitch a few minutes. Hopefully it's not too bad, Paddy is a valuable member of team.

country bumpkin

Quote from: rogercasement on February 27, 2022, 09:16:31 AM

Think a few may follow your lead RC....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 27, 2022, 12:19:58 PM
Quote from: rogercasement on February 27, 2022, 09:16:31 AM

Think a few may follow your lead RC....

I'd have thought with any management set up the players went out to win, just found it an odd comment
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Westmeath and Longford both beaten today, this is really starting to open us for us now. We are home to both these counties so a real chance awaits. Things starting to get very exciting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on February 27, 2022, 03:59:19 PM
Westmeath and Longford both beaten today, this is really starting to open us for us now. We are home to both these counties so a real chance awaits. Things starting to get very exciting.

It should and hopefully they'll go out to try and win rather going to try and  lose like they've been doing for years!  ;D

rogercasement

My point, not that I have to justify myself to MR2 was then players believe they can beat any opposition, they are going in expectation rather than hope. This has not been the case for a number of years.

Milltown Row2

So players in the recent past were told that we hope to beat these teams? You're weird, have you ever been involved in teams before?

rogercasement

You take McKenna cup defeat to Donegal in pg1. Previous teams would have accepted plaudits and pats on the back. This team and management were angry they didn't win. That would not have happened in the recent past. Now MR2 you appear to be snobbish in thinking I'm not allowed an opinion. I think you'll find many agree!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rogercasement on February 28, 2022, 11:13:22 AM
You take McKenna cup defeat to Donegal in pg1. Previous teams would have accepted plaudits and pats on the back. This team and management were angry they didn't win. That would not have happened in the recent past. Now MR2 you appear to be snobbish in thinking I'm not allowed an opinion. I think you'll find many agree!!

No, not at all, have your opinion, I just don't know why anyone would bother training all winter and giving up nights away from home just to be happy with a defeat and pats on the back. Seems strange. I don't know any team/player that is competitive and comes off the pitch happy they lost or not angry the didnt win, whatever way you want to put it.

Did previous teams/managers (bar Baker) going back to the 70's fall into that bracket?

Caesar

MR2 you seem to be missing the point. A team can train hard in hopes of success without necessarily expecting to achieve it. The difference is subtle but important.
Fair play to McGinley if he has instilled a winning mindset in this group of players.