Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on December 01, 2021, 10:08:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: Calm Down on December 01, 2021, 09:47:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 09:21:05 AM
Guys the game would have went ahead last week but Glenravel were involved with the Ulster hurling, why are people annoyed? Not like you'll be at it. The game will be played when it suits both teams I'd imagine...

It's a busy time of the year with schools and colleges. Getting pitches can be difficult also.

Very presumptions and arrogant of you MR2 to make such a statement. I was hoping if it were in say PG1 I would take in a bit of it then head over for the PG1 game, however it appears you have now banned any such plans

nope just the reality. I've been at these games as a ref and supporter, very underwhelming in the amount of people at it, so spare me the, if its at my pitch I'll take a look.

But hey, if its at PG1 come and have a chat about next years predictions

You are out of order her MR2, regardless of what capacity you attend a game you are not the gate holder of who  is there and when

PG1 is not my local pitch, however that is irrelevant

I repeat presumptuous and arrogant

I'll also repeat, these games outside of the clubs involved are not supported by many outsiders, and in my experience that's the case
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 10:17:27 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on December 01, 2021, 10:10:52 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 10:09:52 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on December 01, 2021, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 09:41:13 AM
I'm sure the teams that put the effort into it don't feel its farcical

As you say hopefully those within their clubs put forward a motion at their AGM's (which are soon) that the competition gets a better date and format next time. No point gurning on here about it to be honest
We can gurn all we want, same way as you can celebrate winning a farce of a competition if you want... If you win it that is.

Wow, so if Cargin won this farce it wouldn't be celebrated? I'll be honest as a club it would be grand, but I'll not lose any sleep if we don't.

Boy you're still sore
Still sore? What about?

That our lads put your lads out of the under 20 farce competition?
Aye that's it. You got me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on December 01, 2021, 10:20:07 AM

As you say hopefully those within their clubs put forward a motion at their AGM's (which are soon) that the competition gets a better date and format next time. No point gurning on here about it to be honest
We can gurn all we want, same way as you can celebrate winning a farce of a competition if you want... If you win it that is.

Wow, so if Cargin won this farce it wouldn't be celebrated? I'll be honest as a club it would be grand, but I'll not lose any sleep if we don't.

Boy you're still sore
Still sore? What about?

So I'll ask again, would your club celebrate a win at this level or not even turn up at the farce?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 10:24:40 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on December 01, 2021, 10:20:07 AM

Boy you're still sore
Still sore? What about?

So I'll ask again, would your club celebrate a win at this level or not even turn up at the farce?
How is that even relevant to my point about the competition being a farce? I said you can choose to celebrate winning it if you wish, as could we if we won it. Competitions a farce, everyone in Antrim bar yourself realises it.

Milltown Row2

Where did I say it's fine and we shouldn't change it?

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 10:05:56 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on December 01, 2021, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on December 01, 2021, 09:57:45 AM

sarsfields have a motion that u20 be played before adult leagues start , LD have a motion its played after adult leagues finish !
Sarsfields motion is that the U20 (or whatever age above U17) league takes place before the adult leagues start, and that the U20 Champ takes place after the adult champ finished. Lamh dhearg want U20 changed to U19 completely and bizarrely made into 13 aside.

I think, personally that is, that under19 and 13 aside will reduce the 'sanctioned' players that CB has brought up, which I'm not in favour off either tbh and allow more teams

Be sure that a big club, with a huge list of achievements do not make use of the sanction rule on a grand scale.

Surely that would be akin to 'team building on a bus'.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 01, 2021, 10:51:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 10:05:56 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on December 01, 2021, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on December 01, 2021, 09:57:45 AM

sarsfields have a motion that u20 be played before adult leagues start , LD have a motion its played after adult leagues finish !
Sarsfields motion is that the U20 (or whatever age above U17) league takes place before the adult leagues start, and that the U20 Champ takes place after the adult champ finished. Lamh dhearg want U20 changed to U19 completely and bizarrely made into 13 aside.

I think, personally that is, that under19 and 13 aside will reduce the 'sanctioned' players that CB has brought up, which I'm not in favour off either tbh and allow more teams

Be sure that a big club, with a huge list of achievements do not make use of the sanction rule on a grand scale.

Surely that would be akin to 'team building on a bus'.

I've said I'm not in favour of the sanction rule, what more can I say?

I've been in the trenches, its hard work, and back in my day I remember teams did struggle, the age rule has made it even harder, I'm sort of in the camp, if you're good enough you're old enough, again my own view and not a widely held view point by others.

If teams at that level or as a whole are finding that fielding 15 players plus subs is difficult and because of that, that team are sanctioning players out then what's the alternative? Lose more players or hope they stay on with that club until they can field properly?

geezer

Surely the main issue with "borrowing a player" lies with the club inheriting said player? Imagine playing the whole way up through the youth only to be dropped to the bench because the club has brought in a player to play for a championship. Brutal stuff.

Put it back to u21s. Play it after all mens championships have completed. Give the teams competing in ulster an extra week if needs be. Have it straight knock out.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: geezer on December 01, 2021, 01:46:25 PM
Surely the main issue with "borrowing a player" lies with the club inheriting said player? Imagine playing the whole way up through the youth only to be dropped to the bench because the club has brought in a player to play for a championship. Brutal stuff.

Put it back to u21s. Play it after all mens championships have completed. Give the teams competing in ulster an extra week if needs be. Have it straight knock out.

It lies solely with the club being unable to field in that age group (IMO), you can't blame a club for taking on another player, should that club just say, jog on lad?

The motions for dropping it to 13 aside could enable a club to participate, competitively, at an age group or grade they would not have in the past.

Getting the date right in the calendar is the problem. Its also not an established league level, its always been a championship only

If you are in the business of not encouraging kids to play our games then what's the best solution?

We've had and currently do have amalgamations in all boards, South, southwest and North Antrim, its about finding the right one that only encourages.the player to stay until senior, then he can move back to his own club

Flanker

Quote from: geezer on December 01, 2021, 01:46:25 PM

One of the reasons it changed to an initial league format a few years back was to try and keep players who hadn't progressed or weren't getting into senior or reserve teams involved. Attempt to address dropout. With the move to U17 and back to U21 knockout it would be a disaster for dropout. U20/U21 has historically always been the poor relation and has been tried in various windows in the Callander. It has always been a bit of a mixed bag compromise. .
It can't just be moved in isolation without consideration for all other comoetitions
Inter County U17 & U20
Universuty
Schools
Club U17, Reserve & Senior.
Never mind Dual clubs who have above*2

It worked reasonably well a few years back with U18 as normal and U21 at the tail end of the season in an initial league basis.

Kept guys interested a bit longer and provided a bit of a bridge to senior.

Not perfect but much better

U17 has just been disastrous all around

geezer

I was just solely talking about the u20 chsip. It has been a complete shambles with majority of games not being played. I think a u20 league could be great if done properly, would stop players dropping away and would get them ready for senior. Would be very hard to fit it in the calender though. But i agree the main issue is u17, even if your the best minor in the county, when you step up to senior its a whole different ball game. The lads are just too young and many aren't physically developed to play mens football. It has to be changed back to minor, that extra year could make all the difference.

In reply to MR2, i understand what you are saying, maybe im just being ignorant because my club is fortunate enough to field teams at all youth levels. Personally speaking, i wouldnt be a fan if my club brought in a player to replace on of our own. But i do agree that all players should have the chance to compete.

Milltown Row2

Physically the difference from under 17 to senior is scary, especially if you are going into a senior football team, slightly different for hurling as skill and speed levels make a huge difference.

Who won the B final played on Saturday last? Calm down, maybe you were at it and can fill us in?

JimStynes

Quote from: geezer on December 01, 2021, 02:47:14 PM
I was just solely talking about the u20 chsip. It has been a complete shambles with majority of games not being played. I think a u20 league could be great if done properly, would stop players dropping away and would get them ready for senior. Would be very hard to fit it in the calender though. But i agree the main issue is u17, even if your the best minor in the county, when you step up to senior its a whole different ball game. The lads are just too young and many aren't physically developed to play mens football. It has to be changed back to minor, that extra year could make all the difference.

In reply to MR2, i understand what you are saying, maybe im just being ignorant because my club is fortunate enough to field teams at all youth levels. Personally speaking, i wouldnt be a fan if my club brought in a player to replace on of our own. But i do agree that all players should have the chance to compete.

Why did the county schedule u20 games the same day and time that we had a senior championship match? The u20s was a shambles in a lot of counties btw! Not just Antrim! Not that it would be much better but out of interest, why is it not U17s and then u19s? The jump from 17s to seniors is massive. Most of the good players from that age group wouldn't be strong enough for B football never mind senior.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: geezer on November 30, 2021, 01:19:28 PM
Mick herron called it a day after his injury last year? Still looked as fit as ever year before.

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on November 29, 2021, 09:48:50 PM

L Dhearg have appointed, Deaglain Bunting, Michael Herron and Brendan Mc Combe
What is the going salary for 3 man management team
Heron super player and a big loss for LD on the pitch no doubt

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2021, 02:55:30 PM
Physically the difference from under 17 to senior is scary, especially if you are going into a senior football team, slightly different for hurling as skill and speed levels make a huge difference.

Who won the B final played on Saturday last? Calm down, maybe you were at it and can fill us in?

Not played.....