Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

County Final day was an even better spectacle with the minor final on before the big game.  Is covid the reason it's missing? 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on November 15, 2021, 06:54:03 PM
County Final day was an even better spectacle with the minor final on before the big game.  Is covid the reason it's missing?

Yes, numbers wise but this year we were full pelt with attendances, much prefer the minor finals before the seniors, 2 years ago was last time at Corrigan. Hopefully back to normal next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2021, 07:02:11 PM

Yes, numbers wise but this year we were full pelt with attendances, much prefer the minor finals before the seniors, 2 years ago was last time at Corrigan. Hopefully back to normal next year
That's a shame.  Hopefully get it back next year and give young lads the profile they deserve.  While I'm at it, I know a lot of young lads who have kicked their last ball at U17 and see no incentive to stick around for a stop-start U20 championship.  I think it's a very sad situation.  Switching minor to U17 was a massive mistake.  Could a county do a solo run and switch back, or are we stuck with the National decision?

EOC1923

Quote from: Sportacus on November 15, 2021, 07:20:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2021, 07:02:11 PM

That's a shame.  Hopefully get it back next year and give young lads the profile they deserve.  While I'm at it, I know a lot of young lads who have kicked their last ball at U17 and see no incentive to stick around for a stop-start U20 championship.  I think it's a very sad situation.  Switching minor to U17 was a massive mistake.  Could a county do a solo run and switch back, or are we stuck with the National decision?
They will keep the age grades but need to fix the calendar, the U20s was beyond a joke this season. Even the format of the championship was a farce. One team out of 6 straight to a final. Meaning scores of dead rubber games. Hoepfully lessons have been learned but I wouldn't bank on it.

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on November 15, 2021, 06:29:11 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 14, 2021, 05:43:33 PM
What is it with Belfasties and pronouncing it Aghnagallon. You'd think they'd be able to say and spell it right by now

I was talking to MR2 in the social club before hand. He had a Creggan half zip on! Not sure what that was about! Anyway I pulled him on his pronunciation of Aghagallon so I think he's taking the piss here by writing Aghnagallon. Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit. Anyway, there was a queue of people standing looking to give him a slap. He's wound some amount of people up over the years. I think he enjoys being the pantomime villain.  I hope he enjoyed the celebrations in Creggan last night.

Certainly not buying that one J S....

Lift may well.not go all the way up.but he ain't that stupid.....

JimStynes

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 15, 2021, 08:12:43 PM
What is it with Belfasties and pronouncing it Aghnagallon. You'd think they'd be able to say and spell it right by now

I was talking to MR2 in the social club before hand. He had a Creggan half zip on! Not sure what that was about! Anyway I pulled him on his pronunciation of Aghagallon so I think he's taking the piss here by writing Aghnagallon. Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit. Anyway, there was a queue of people standing looking to give him a slap. He's wound some amount of people up over the years. I think he enjoys being the pantomime villain.  I hope he enjoyed the celebrations in Creggan last night.

About what part?

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on November 15, 2021, 08:30:09 PM

About what part?

MR2 in a Creggan half zipp....

Milltown Row2

Never had a drink in that area, plenty of pints in Cargin over the years, some nights we never made it home till we'll after one!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BealnaBlath

Congrats to Creggan, well deserved and hope they enjoy celebrations.
Far better team on day and think a very talented  Aghagallon still bit away from winning one (no criticism).

Fancy them to push on in Ulster as way. Have the physicality for it. Scotstown are the team to stop
Glen. Don't think Kilcoo up to it at that level anymore.

Scheduling of un20 a disgrace in both hurling and football especially for dual clubs. Just a tickbox exercise for the county. Haven't a clue and wondering why there was a struggle to get officials and teams to field for them. I thought the hurling in particular would have been really competitive across the board at this level.

Just read the all stars. Give me a severe laugh. I wonder if these people actually watch same games as us. Maybe biased due to geography, but not one player from Ballymena ? but a St Galls player who had couple wins against a poor side and then stuffed in quarter final. Edit- just seen Lynch there as well- Eastwood and Conor McCann look like selections of people picking those they know from county set up rather than actual watching games. Not a big deal at end of day but just always find this stuff baffling.

EOC1923

Quote from: BealnaBlath on November 15, 2021, 09:58:33 PM
Congrats to Creggan, well deserved and hope they enjoy celebrations.
Far better team on day and think a very talented  Aghagallon still bit away from winning one (no criticism).

Fancy them to push on in Ulster as way. Have the physicality for it. Scotstown are the team to stop
Glen. Don't think Kilcoo up to it at that level anymore.

Scheduling of un20 a disgrace in both hurling and football especially for dual clubs. Just a tickbox exercise for the county. Haven't a clue and wondering why there was a struggle to get officials and teams to field for them. I thought the hurling in particular would have been really competitive across the board at this level.

Just read the all stars. Give me a severe laugh. I wonder if these people actually watch same games as us. Maybe biased due to geography, but not one player from Ballymena ? but a St Galls player who had couple wins against a poor side and then stuffed in quarter final. Eastwood and Conor McCann look like selections of people picking those they know from county set up rather than actual watching games. Not a big deal at end of day but just always find this stuff baffling.
Got to agree there, and Kobo the only player from my own club I'd of picked. Conor McCann merits it though was very influential in all Creggan's knock out games. As you say it's no big deal. 

Milltown Row2

Who selects these players? If it's internet then it's not warranted, if it's a team of managers then that be better assessment, obviously the managers can't pick their own. Is it based solely on championship or both league and championship?

We did this a few years ago when I was managing our seniors, we were asked for best players we came up against, couldn't tell which media outlet asked to be fair, possibly Andytown news

JimStynes

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 15, 2021, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 15, 2021, 08:30:09 PM

About what part?

MR2 in a Creggan half zipp....

It was the same one he wore under his referee jersey in the semi final.

BealnaBlath

I thought the Shivers one strange as well. Think Tomas and KOBO abojt right though. I'm probably being harsh on Conor, I thought they would have selected him regardless. The hurling all stars were similarly confusing.

Believe it's group of journalist selects the shortlist. Ballymena got to Intermidate final and noting, beat Dunloy handy in a semi and yet they have player in it..

Nothing to lose sleep over, but nice to see a proper selection of football/hurling people chose them. I'm sure a big deal will be made of it and nice for the winners.

Anyhow, any further mgt developments? My info I was gave few weeks ago seems to be still up in the air! Fun time of the year . We need a machine on Belfast GAA man's heart when he sees the outside managers getting jobs fro expenses, must say though he/she is great craic on this, always honest and sticks to principals- esp being a McCooey!

Saffsof82

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2021, 10:15:10 PM
Who selects these players? If it's internet then it's not warranted, if it's a team of managers then that be better assessment, obviously the managers can't pick their own. Is it based solely on championship or both league and championship?

We did this a few years ago when I was managing our seniors, we were asked for best players we came up against, couldn't tell which media outlet asked to be fair, possibly Andytown news

It was local hacks picked them

paddyjohn

Quote from: BealnaBlath on November 15, 2021, 10:26:19 PM
I thought the Shivers one strange as well. Think Tomas and KOBO abojt right though. I'm probably being harsh on Conor, I thought they would have selected him regardless. The hurling all stars were similarly confusing.

Believe it's group of journalist selects the shortlist. Ballymena got to Intermidate final and noting, beat Dunloy handy in a semi and yet they have player in it..

Nothing to lose sleep over, but nice to see a proper selection of football/hurling people chose them. I'm sure a big deal will be made of it and nice for the winners.

Anyhow, any further mgt developments? My info I was gave few weeks ago seems to be still up in the air! Fun time of the year . We need a machine on Belfast GAA man's heart when he sees the outside managers getting jobs fro expenses, must say though he/she is great craic on this, always honest and sticks to principals- esp being a McCooey!

Ballymena have new men apparently and so do Glenravel. White smoke in Cargin & Portglenone over the next few days.