Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: rogercasement on November 03, 2021, 09:40:09 PM
Pointed out to me today, fun fact.
If creggan win championship, senior, intermediate and junior winners will all come within a 6ish mile radius.

If Clann Eireann beat Cross and Aghagallon beat Creggan, the Armagh and Antrim champions will come
from 3 mile of each other. Both massive underdogs though.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: JimStynes on November 03, 2021, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: rogercasement on November 03, 2021, 09:40:09 PM
Pointed out to me today, fun fact.
If creggan win championship, senior, intermediate and junior winners will all come within a 6ish mile radius.

If Clann Eireann beat Cross and Aghagallon beat Creggan, the Armagh and Antrim champions will come
from 3 mile of each other. Both massive underdogs though.

And play each other!

2 big ifs obviously ATM but who knows
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Saffronaldo

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 31, 2021, 09:28:19 PM
Portglenone won't appeal anything, they will take their defeat on the chin and not look for loopholes as that's how we roll down around these parts. MR2 watch todays game back and explain that 21 yard free you gave to Creggan for the fair shoulder. You talk enough on here about all sorts of stuff you can talk about that. Scandalous. Good thing it's on social media for all to see

Sorry if I've missed it but did we ever get an explanation for this refereeing decision from the referee?

erinsboy

I've watched the game back also ,and I have to say there is alot more questionable decision's in the second half than that shoulder incident! MR2 is on this board every day bit all of a sudden he gone very quiet.🤔🤔

seanyb

Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 07:29:18 AM
Portglenone won't appeal anything, they will take their defeat on the chin and not look for loopholes as that's how we roll down around these parts. MR2 watch todays game back and explain that 21 yard free you gave to Creggan for the fair shoulder. You talk enough on here about all sorts of stuff you can talk about that. Scandalous. Good thing it's on social media for all to see

Sorry if I've missed it but did we ever get an explanation for this refereeing decision from the referee?

Absolutely perfect shoulder & well within the rules. However, Creggan no9 McCann? Hit Kevin O'Boyle with similar shoulder in the first half, and was blown for it. Obviously these were at two different stages of the game but at least he was consistent.

toby47

Quote from: seanyb on November 04, 2021, 08:02:30 AM
Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 07:29:18 AM

Absolutely perfect shoulder & well within the rules. However, Creggan no9 McCann? Hit Kevin O'Boyle with similar shoulder in the first half, and was blown for it. Obviously these were at two different stages of the game but at least he was consistent.

Sean, did you jump on the Antrim thread because you name was mentioned above about leaving Drumsurn?

Can you put the rumours to bed?

stiffler

On first viewing it looked like a free to me.

Referees are easy targets on here, but I thought they were good in both semis at the weekend.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Saffronaldo

Stiffler the video of the textbook shoulder is on Twitter for all to see and is clearly not a foul.

I don't mind if a referee makes an honest mistake, but I'd welcome an explanation for why a free was given. For a neutral it completely spoiled an enthralling game to see so many questionable decisions at crucial moments.

country bumpkin

Been a while since I made comment on this board but like more than a few others I await explanation from .
MR2 as to the 'mistakes be made during that game I  question.
Without doubt Cargin did under perform on Sunday but the stats for the second thirty minutes do tell a tale.
Cargin  were awarded a huge 4 frees in that period, Creggan got 16.......to include several eye raising decisions which caused the linesman to shake his head.

geezer

Only seen the hit on facebook and it was a textbook shoulder. However, i can understand why a free was given in real time. Refs have a split second to make a decision, it probably looked like a foul to the ref given the way the creggan player got absolutely cleaned out (albeit fairly).

Show me a man who says they would be a ref in Antrim football and i'll show you a liar.

BealnaBlath

The shoulder is a difficult one to call at full pace. At the time the people around me were split whether it was free or not and i remember similar in Ports game against either Hannahstown or Aghagallon. Big McKeever made great shoulder but in real time there was massive shouts for foul. Refs have been outstanding this campaign for me so far.

On another note, was up the town centre there grabbing supplies and Ballymena needing new management along with many others in division 2? This boy was telling me Glenavy, Mglass and Aldergrove all needing new management? Some interesting names linked to all 4 jobs! Jacuzzis getting paid for all around BelfastGAA 😂

Saffronaldo

I believe the GAA should bring in a rule that you can only manage your own club. I don't like this business of paid outside managers at all. For me it definitely devalues any success a club has. Totally understand why some clubs feel they need to do it but I don't think it should be permitted.

JimStynes

I thought the referees in the championship have been very good for the most part. I agree that MR2 made a few calls that I maybe didn't agree with but Cargin were certainly not robbed and Creggan won on merit. I didn't think mr2 had a bad game. Laverty was very good again in our game. He did make a few strange calls but overall it was a good performance from him.

stiffler

Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 09:46:13 AM
Stiffler the video of the textbook shoulder is on Twitter for all to see and is clearly not a foul.

I don't mind if a referee makes an honest mistake, but I'd welcome an explanation for why a free was given. For a neutral it completely spoiled an enthralling game to see so many questionable decisions at crucial moments.

My comment was in relation to first view , not with the benefit of replays. When these games are played at championship pace , there will always be decisions that could go either way.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Saffronaldo

Quote from: JimStynes on November 04, 2021, 10:57:59 AM
I thought the referees in the championship have been very good for the most part. I agree that MR2 made a few calls that I maybe didn't agree with but Cargin were certainly not robbed and Creggan won on merit. I didn't think mr2 had a bad game. Laverty was very good again in our game. He did make a few strange calls but overall it was a good performance from him.

Totally agree Creggan deserved the win, much hungrier than Cargin 2nd half. We'll have to disagree on the officiating though.

Aghagallon were very impressive in their win, if Creggan don't keep the forwards under wraps it could be a lot closer than many seem to think it will be.