Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens73

Quote from: Calm Down on November 13, 2020, 12:57:28 PM
I see Frank Fitzsimmons is away to manage Leitrim, would he not have been an option for Antrim

Liatroim in Co Down

123Bigball

Anyone hear who MC ginley is proposing to bring with him into the set up if he got the job.

Didn't MC Geeney walk straight into Kildare job with no managerial experience at any level.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Belfast GAA man

waht is the process for appointing a new manager? do we involve the clubs?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 15, 2020, 05:44:16 PM

Yes, clubs are asked to nominate, if you're a member of a club they'll have a process that you can nominate through your club.

You've till Wednesday to get your vote in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 05:51:14 PM

Yes, clubs are asked to nominate, if you're a member of a club they'll have a process that you can nominate through your club.

Thanks - who are The confirmed candidates to vote for?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 15, 2020, 07:46:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 05:51:14 PM

Thanks - who are The confirmed candidates to vote for?

Wouldn't know, your club secretary would have a fair idea
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Wouldn't imagine it's a vote, just nominations that clubs would want the county to seek?

delgany

Antrim had an appointments committee, last time, who recommended the candidate for ratification by county executive  board/ county committee.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on November 15, 2020, 08:03:40 PM
Antrim had an appointments committee, last time, who recommended the candidate for ratification by county executive  board/ county committee.

Yes but I can remember something like this before, it's a good idea to seek nominations and then a committee can go after these people.

It's better than coming on the discussion board  ;D

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 08:07:05 PM
Quote from: delgany on November 15, 2020, 08:03:40 PM

Yes but I can remember something like this before, it's a good idea to seek nominations and then a committee can go after these people.

It's better than coming on the discussion board  ;D

I was hoping that the county officers would take this opportunity to establish the same type of structures they have put in place for the senior hurlers. This is the time to put things in place.

bannside

100% Delgany. We badly need a body or person to co ordinate football, make recomendations, offer support, sound out interest in future candidates, make sure we have some kind of joined up strategy re potentially elite players and their development etc etc.

I think Croke Pk did away with all these "sub committees" a few years back - thats not to say that we replace that space with Nothing!

Id prefer this was in place for this next appointment, but thats obviously far too late now. On that basis Ive no problem with the county chairman and one or two of his executive pro- actively going on a solo run to secure the availability of their preferred option. Theres always a risk involved in going on a solo run, but that is infinitely better than standing idly by and doing nothing. It signals ambition too which has been clearly lacking in some less than inspiring appointments over the years!

The County Chairmans recomendation to Antrim club delegates will obviously carry a lot of weight....and will pass easily....as the motion will be phrased to carry..... unless 50% of delegates in ths room object.  Nothing wrong with that I hear you say!!

I have seen this charade in action and Frankie Quinn is well aware of it, make no mistake. To object, a club delegate needs to raise their hand, or in the absence of a hand being raised it shall actually be assumed they support the recomendation!!

When anything to do with football is being discussed, many hurling only clubs switch off completely, and by doing nothing, their silence is interpreted as a vote in favour of the recomendation. For many of our hurling clubs, their only interest is to know the cost of the proposal - thats about the total limit of their concern!

Its absolutely vital we get this appointment right, whether its the official county board led one, or a late alternative proposal. As long as we get someone in who can take us to the next level thats the main thing at this stage. And after that, we expect Mr Mc Cavanagh to install a DOF who will in future preside over all matters of this type.

Coiste Baniste will get their opportunity to veto that recomendation at a later stage. Its called due process.

Calm Down

By all accounts McGinley is in 'discussions' about taking the Antrim job

whatwillbwillb

I have seen this charade in action and Frankie Quinn is well aware of it, make no mistake. To object, a club delegate needs to raise their hand, or in the absence of a hand being raised it shall actually be assumed they support the recomendation!!

He'd know all about Charades the same boy Bannside!!!

bannside

Its all about the way the proposal is positioned. There is some difference between "anyone opposing the recomendation please put up your hand" and "anyone who wishes to support this recomendation please put up your hand".

The apathy that existed towards anything football related from the hurling clubs practically guaranteed the executives proposal was passed.

Executive Officials do their term, come and go...but FQ is the one constant who should know exactly the difference between scenario A and Scenario B as listed above.

I called it out as a charade from the floor, on the night - and my opinion on that particular "charade" hasnt changed.