Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Use pair need a separate thread to bash each other and compare whos the bestest's ever while the rest of us dont care.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

My opinion, CJ back on the county panel again, whatever. He has history of being a disruptive influence on squads that he has been a part of which isn't helpful at the minute. Maybe the management can keep him in check.

I'd rather see Mick McCann back on the panel to be honest and that is not a south west bias either.

bannside

What's the crack with the assertion Mick Mc Cann was "pushed"? I'm sure if he threw his kit back over his shoulder and walked into the Antrim training tonight at the Dub no one would say a word. Has anyone told he he is not welcome?

Did he not officially retire himself a few times already?

bannside

Ironic thing is we are really short of midfielders. Now that the mark is in place a good fielder is important. And this year there's no Mc Keever, Carron, or Sean Burke either. That's our four first choice midfielders from last year all missing.

Trying to fill those shoes are Michael Johnston,  Stephen Beattie and Oisin Leneghan.

bannside

I'd be checking out Donal Nugent. Very impressive for Lamhs against St Galls in the championship I thought. Bound to be a reason he's missing or Fitzy would have had him in, on merit too. Big Gérard Mc Cann  wouldn't be out of place either. Would win a lot of ball in the middle third and also had a great season last year.

As it stands I see the pairing being Conor Murray and Matt Fitz.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 27, 2017, 09:31:48 PM
I'd be checking out Donal Nugent. Very impressive for Lamhs against St Galls in the championship I thought. Bound to be a reason he's missing or Fitzy would have had him in, on merit too. Big Gérard Mc Cann  wouldn't be out of place either. Would win a lot of ball in the middle third and also had a great season last year.

As it stands I see the pairing being Conor Murray and Matt Fitz.

What's wrong with McKeever? I'm only going by what Mick has on twityer

country bumpkin

Mick Cann is possibly the best fielder of a ball in Antrim and having spoken to him quite often recently I will very much doubt his return and yes he was pushed.
J Carron has had enough I hear.....was on a string last year.
Antrim really need all hands on deck but where are the Burke brothers, Niall Mc Keever, and the like?
Having watched and cringed at the Mc Kenna cup games I honestly have little hope and with few 'new boys' making suggestion that we may well be on the upward trail.
But hey what do I know. ???

bannside

NMK going for an operation on his ankle once Sigerson is over. Will be out for at least 8 weeks after that. Possibly longer. You won't see him in Saffron this year.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 27, 2017, 10:48:32 PM
NMK going for an operation on his ankle once Sigerson is over. Will be out for at least 8 weeks after that. Possibly longer. You won't see him in Saffron this year.

Huge loss for both club and county.
I'll rethink my prediction for PG1 then  ;)

bannside

He will be ok for the first round of the club championship. Nice and fresh lol. (Trying hard to put a positive spin on things lol)

country bumpkin

Well done Sean Kelly.......well deserved, a great job ....and not a "chosen one" not a visionary.

bannside

100% agree CB. Well done Sean. Ulster GAA writers PRO of the year. Sean was our clubs guest of honour at last week's annual dinner dance presentation and I was seated beside him. An absolute gentleman.

Which begs the question. Are there any more hidden gems put there who could/should be working for Antrim?

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 28, 2017, 02:48:12 PM
100% agree CB. Well done Sean. Ulster GAA writers PRO of the year. Sean was our clubs guest of honour at last week's annual dinner dance presentation and I was seated beside him. An absolute gentleman.

Which begs the question. Are there any more hidden gems put there who could/should be working for Antrim?

No end of hidden gems I'd say. Internal politics within club committees sometimes put people off standing for positions, maybe the same at county level also.

I've met Sean a few times and he is gentleman, he sleeps and breathes Antrim GAA!!

Hectic

Yeah though in a lot of situations people who could have a lot to offer genuienly do not have the time and those that do appear to are often making decent sacrifice of what time they have.

Yes there is a degree of politics on the club scene but also given they are generally close knit in their makeup it is often more a case that everyone has their own opinions, their own ideas of how things could be better, little factions of like minfed and no doubt in some cases a good bit of over estimation of ones own worth.

County level a wee bit different as it encompasses a wider pool removing a certain sense of duty that comes at local level and also a bigger pool of thinking so good to see good men giving their time to represent the wider need.

paddyjohn

Nice to see a few comments of congratulations on the county website for Sean.. Some south west blood in him also if I'm not mistaken, an ulster title for Cargin after all.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)