Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Just where is the best venue in Antrim for club matches?  the Belfast clubs don't want it in the SW and the SW clubs don't want it in Belfast unless its casement (which isn't going to happen anytime soon). Plenty of good pitches but all venue have their difficulties.  For obvious reasons planning finals for Toome or Milltown wouldn't be the greatest forward planning idea but what about the rest? All seem to have terrible parking problems but good pitches whether it be creggan, ahoghill, Ballymena, Hannahstown, Dunsilly or hightown. no one wants to go to glenavy and Corrigans views are the poorest of all which is why its unsuitable, regardless of the parking problem.   

The safest bet was Ahoghill because it kept the moneymen happy with the gate receipts, the neutrals from derry and tyrone antrim were happy enough to attend, the pitch is goo, vantage points are good and parking is available (although wet days are a risk!).  Bottom line is that glenavy is a better venue than Corrigan so a strange decision, but neither should have been brought forward as options.

paddyjohn

In my opinion and I know it wont be popular but all county finals should be played in Ballycastle unless they are involved.

Hectic

Quote from: Spike on October 14, 2016, 02:19:17 PM
Just where is the best venue in Antrim for club matches?  the Belfast clubs don't want it in the SW and the SW clubs don't want it in Belfast unless its casement (which isn't going to happen anytime soon). Plenty of good pitches but all venue have their difficulties.  For obvious reasons planning finals for Toome or Milltown wouldn't be the greatest forward planning idea but what about the rest? All seem to have terrible parking problems but good pitches whether it be creggan, ahoghill, Ballymena, Hannahstown, Dunsilly or hightown. no one wants to go to glenavy and Corrigans views are the poorest of all which is why its unsuitable, regardless of the parking problem.   

The safest bet was Ahoghill because it kept the moneymen happy with the gate receipts, the neutrals from derry and tyrone antrim were happy enough to attend, the pitch is goo, vantage points are good and parking is available (although wet days are a risk!).  Bottom line is that glenavy is a better venue than Corrigan so a strange decision, but neither should have been brought forward as options.

Ahoghill's pitch is along a country lane!

inabsentia

Quote from: Spike on October 14, 2016, 02:19:17 PM

I was at the Cargin/St Johns semi and as far as I was concerned it went very smoothly. There is a step to go in terms of viewing. But short of Creggan, I'd say it's a fair distance for either of the teams to travel. It's also right beside a main road and decent carparking facilities. The move to Corrigan reeks of nepotism.

bannside

Always found Glenavy a nice venue and it could have held the crowd and dealt with the parking albeit along country roads. But it would have been managed. The four dressing rooms needed for minors and seniors may be a problem.

With Derry and Tyrone finals on this Sunday too I'm afraid only Antrim football folk will be in attendance at Corrigan. In any event, regardless of how the venue was decided, Corrigan should easily fit 1500 people in and get them parked somewhere. There won't be more than that, even if 8 -10k will be drawn to Owenbeg and Healy Park.

Incidentally good luck to John Mc Keever from our club who is managing Coalisland in the Tyrone final.

stiffler

I was in attendance at the Cargin St. John's game also, and felt that glenavy done a fine job in hosting the game. The parking in the school grounds was very convenient.

With both finals being city v country , glenavy would have been of a equal distance to all teams involved. 
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Milltown Row2

Sure Cargin travelled for years to Casement for finals and there was no complaints! Some people are never pleased and if the game was in their backyard they'd still complain ffs!!

You can bet your bottom dollar that the players don't give a hoot to where the game is, they just want to win it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Cargin playets have no complaints on the Corrigan sod MR2 but those who will travel to part with their money at the gate have cause to.

bannside

Can't understand what you mean CB.  You think people travelling from SW should get in free! Am I missing something??

north aontroim gael

Quote from: bannside on October 14, 2016, 07:51:58 PM
Can't understand what you mean CB.  You think people travelling from SW should get in free! Am I missing something??

He means supporters will have an issue paying to watch the game in sub standard viewing facilities.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 14, 2016, 08:03:45 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 14, 2016, 07:51:58 PM

He means supporters will have an issue paying to watch the game in sub standard viewing facilities.

Get down early then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Parking or lack of such in a safe environment is the primary concern.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 14, 2016, 09:07:49 PM

One car?? It happened outside Casement too! What parking did it have?

bannside

Looking forward to tomorrow. The minor final is intriguing and difficult to call. Dunloy can't see themselves beaten and have two or three guys playing who could step up to county seniors in a year or two if they wanted...ability wise anyway. Hurling preferences may influence that though. However I watched this St Brigids team in the Paul McGirr final two years ago and they have a fine team too, although they have been disrupted a bit by three of them playing rugby today and a couple at oversees university for the last month. But that's life and may the best team win. Really looking forward to it, I think the quality will be higher than we have seen at a minor final for some time.

The senior game is also hard to call. Cargin will win IF they produce the A game they have shown they are capable of, for most of the game. But Creggan didn't let that happen for long periods, although they got stuck in and stopped Cargin from opening up. St Galls are in an interesting position. Back at a city venue with absolutely nothing to lose. They won't fear Cargin and have plenty of good players with bucket loads of craft and championship winning pedigree. The longer they hang in the greater their chance.

As a follower who hasn't seen too many SW championship winners I hope Cargin can pull it off. But I think it will be close and again may the best team win.

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 10:38:51 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 14, 2016, 09:07:49 PM

One car?? It happened outside Casement too! What parking did it have?

Someone from Cushendall got their car broken into too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"