Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Jeez are the Brits really back within the ranks of our brave men in the middle...............I wonder........... are they leading the charge all dressed up in the green and black? ???

bannside

St Brigids made a huge impression in a narrow defeat in the Ulster Club under 16 club final. They lost by two points but were denied victory by a fingertip save for a shot that was heading for the corner of the net - and a minute from the end a goal bound effort that whizzed narrowly wide. In the end it was Burren hanging on for dear life.

St Brigids didn't let Antrim down today - in fact they won the respect of everyone lucky enough to have been there. Both players and management can take a huge bow. Inches away from making it three Antrim clubs out of four years to take home this prestigious trophy. 

brendanbelfast

I was down at that one Bannside, what a match. Probably one of the best games I've seen all season. Pity for the young Brigids players that they fell just short - by inches - but it was heartening to see an Antrim team going toe to toe with apparent 'hot favourites' and giving it everything.

theskull1

Mores the pity there'll more than likely be a huge number of them who'll just pack it in in a couple of years. Have heard the same from Bredagh who've lost big numbers of 'senior potential' youngsters once they get to 18
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Any thoughts on how to prevent this?

Difficult age to retain them but there has to be a way otherwise these clubs will just remain as juvenile sections really.
Probably something that all teams in the city could do with figuring out really.

brendanbelfast

Yes its a city wide issue and I guess work / university comes into play in a couple of years for these guys. Maybe their pedigree will produce more stickability in this case.

theskull1

Quote from: brendanbelfast on November 24, 2014, 04:00:22 PM
Yes its a city wide issue and I guess work / university comes into play in a couple of years for these guys. Maybe their pedigree will produce more stickability in this case.

Yes indeed .... the bumpkins don't need to concern themselves with such things as work or education  ;D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Quote from: NAG1 on November 24, 2014, 12:47:23 PM

Difficult age to retain them but there has to be a way otherwise these clubs will just remain as juvenile sections really.
Probably something that all teams in the city could do with figuring out really.
Get the hooks into parents/families early on, witout that influence many players are easily distracted and will drift away probably never to return sadly.

ManInBlackandGreen

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 23, 2014, 07:49:15 PM
Jeez are the Brits really back within the ranks of our brave men in the middle...............I wonder........... are they leading the charge all dressed up in the green and black? ???

Ipsa Scientia Potestas et, CB I see its not lost on everyone, will see how long it takes C11 for the penny to drop, Damnant quodnon intelligunt......

Milltown Row2

All teams in the city  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Absolutely fantastic match. Hitting on a par with what I've seen anywhere. Brigid's camped in Burren half for last ten minutes but panicked and went for goals when points would have won it. Brigid's unlucky though hitting post and another deflected wide but full credit to the Burren keeper saving a certain goal in injury time. Could see these two meeting again in St Paul's if Brigid's keep their team together.

The two Finnegan's at midfield are man mountains but both involved in rugby and rumour is that Ulster may try and lead them away from our game. This would be a serious loss to our county as men like them are few and far between. Some of the hits burying the Burren bigger players was joyous. All fair hits and lead to turnovers and put their 3 main players on the deck and out of the game.

As regards keeping players its difficult for city teams. Many Brigid's boys will want to get away from their parents and the city and may head away for university. For the likes of Burren getting up to Belfast for uni is far enough, but still means they are close enough to play at home.

Galls players all stayed at home for uni. They all knew there was something big happening and all stayed. If a few of them headed away for 3 years it may have changed the history of what happened in last ten or more years.

As Bannside said Brigid's have lost serious amount of boys at u18 to u21 and senior level in last while. They then lost Loughrey and Mark Sweeney (and Dara Edwards) in one go, serious loss of a spine in one year and dropped straight out of Div 1. now Decky O Hagan is away in Newcastle, England. They need the u16s and minor county finalists to move up to senior fast but with boys no doubt drifting away to uni and the difficulties of getting used to senior football it may be a while before a return to div 1 occurs.

If any team lost 3 or 4 of their (and the counties) top players-say the likes of Cargin lost Mick, Tomas,Crozier and Tony Scullion in one go they would seriously struggle too
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Lamh Dhearg were just too strong for us on Saturday and had five points to spare - but we missed two easy goal chances and frees that would have been converted on other days, but thats football. No excuses on the day Lamhs were hungrier.

Under-21 final this Sunday should make an intriguing contest. Both teams have a lot of hunger for this competition and this one could go to the wire. Anyone who doubts the quality of the players coming through in Antrim should be there to see for themselves. Both teams will be at full pitch for this after last years episode, but there should be plenty of cool heads around to make sure football is the winner this year.

CitySlicker11

I wouldn't be entirely sure that football will prevail in the u21 final on Sunday, I can see this game boiling over again.

culchie11

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on November 24, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 23, 2014, 07:49:15 PM

Ipsa Scientia Potestas et, CB I see its not lost on everyone, will see how long it takes C11 for the penny to drop, Damnant quodnon intelligunt......

Mi bag u can talk shite in what ever language u want, going by what u r posting over the 2 antrim threads, that's all u do!
U seem to think that no one knows more than u, maybe that's the arrogance I was talking about from ur performances on the pitch! Just because someone has a different opinion to urs doesn't mean they r wrong.
Why don't u join the chc if that is ur reason for concern, I'm sure there's not too many knocking the door down! But then what wud u complain about next! I think I have heard all this b4 somewhere!
A fountain of knowledge and a real Ray of sunshine lol  ;)

ManInBlackandGreen

Good to see ya back C11 Refs course on this weekend you should sign up or is it a family business already?