Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Should never go back, will always end in tears. Not looking good, Baker needs to take responsibility, every interview he's giving off about injuries, players etc..

NAG1

Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 11, 2014, 10:33:07 AM
Should never go back, will always end in tears. Not looking good, Baker needs to take responsibility, every interview he's giving off about injuries, players etc..

Maybe less interviews would be a start full stop. Sit down with the players and see what they actually want out of this season. We can sometimes forget that these boys are giving up massive amounts of time to play even at div 4 level, so there needs to be an environment where they feel like they are part of something and that it is worth buying into. Until this is created there will always be a case of these 'walk outs', something which can't be afford when dealing with such a small talent pool.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: NAG1 on March 11, 2014, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 11, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

Maybe less interviews would be a start full stop. Sit down with the players and see what they actually want out of this season. We can sometimes forget that these boys are giving up massive amounts of time to play even at div 4 level, so there needs to be an environment where they feel like they are part of something and that it is worth buying into. Until this is created there will always be a case of these 'walk outs', something which can't be afford when dealing with such a small talent pool.

Agreed, idle threats will do nothing for the motivation of players at the low ebb.

glens abu

Those on the board who were in agreement about the return of Baker and co are very quiet.I just wonder how they think it is working out and are they still hopefull of promotion and beating Fermanagh.

bannside

We need to replicate what Cavan have done.

Instead of seeing under twenty ones as a nuisance, we need to make it an absolute priority. Cavan did several years ago, and kept their U-21 panel totally separate from their seniors, until they were Ulster champions. Three years on the trot.

I know that does not guarantee anything at senior level, but what they now have is a football mad community behind them. They bring huge crowds to watch their under 21`s, and I'm sure their business community wants a part of this success too.

We need a plan of action for minors and under twenty ones, including a follow on programme which facilitates further physiological development once their competition months are over. Because believe it or not, we have some really good players in these age groups. Fitzy and Gerard have done good work under the circumstances, and hopefully we can pull out a result against Armagh in the Athletic grounds next week. But with an ideal, stand alone preparation I think we could be four or five points an even better team.

Gold

Last 2 wins at U21:

Armagh in 2003 and Fermanagh in 2006?

Apparently our team is ok but we have an awful losing habit so a win would be a huge surprise

When did we last win a game before 2003 even?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

As long as we fiddle about with 21`s we will always get what we deserve. One year I was involved we did take it seriously. We played over a dozen challenges and got a good strong focus from the players. That was 06 when we last won a championship match in this grade.

The couple of years before that I was also involved, but it was fiddling about at best. We got what we deserved.

The lesson is that to beat a team in this competition we must outwork them in the months prior, and be equally well or better prepared.

Sadly our budget dosent extend that far and if we can get the seniors and under twenty ones to pitch share on training nights sure that will keep the costs down. Thats really as far as our ambitions stretch Gold.

Now if we had a really serious senior team, I can see why the under twenty ones "may" be a bit of a hindrance. But we cant say that, in fact we are the opposite. We need to make 17-21 an absolute priority, and this needs led from top down.

Saffrongael

Quote from: mickey80 on March 11, 2014, 06:31:52 PM
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

Footballers are in a bad bad way at the minute. Can't believe we didn't give the job to the Antrim men. What had we to lose?  No disrespect to Baker (he owes us nothing) but I just feel that Antrim men who a lot of players would have looked up to would have been the better choice.

We should just accept that outside of Kilkenny, we are probably the worst team in the country.

All that said, I think the players do need to seriously look in the mirror at themselves.  According to a pissed off panellist friend of mine, there is a lot of chest puffing going on amongst the panel.  He is telling me that the amount of egos in the changing room is unreal and slightly embarrassing.

Maybe a lot of the players should be a little less concerned with their twitter and facebook profile pictures and statuses and be more concerned with their training, preparation and performances.  Some of the twitter posts by some of the Antrim players (you probably know who they are) are frankly embarrassing and cringe worthy between playing to the media, selling products and coming on talking about Antrim Roars and all.  I am sorry but no amount of Antrim roars will get a player to defend better, an attacker to score or indeed a goalie to save shots I have only been to one game admittedly but normally don't miss.  It's a bit embarrassing to be honest to be an Antrim supporter at the minute.

Yeah I wouldn't like to hear any of them if they were actually successful, as opposed to Div 4 fodder.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Jeepers Creepers

bealfeirste

Footballers are in a bad bad way at the minute. Can't believe we didn't give the job to the Antrim men. What had we to lose?  No disrespect to Baker (he owes us nothing) but I just feel that Antrim men who a lot of players would have looked up to would have been the better choice.

We should just accept that outside of Kilkenny, we are probably the worst team in the country.

All that said, I think the players do need to seriously look in the mirror at themselves.  According to a pissed off panellist friend of mine, there is a lot of chest puffing going on amongst the panel.  He is telling me that the amount of egos in the changing room is unreal and slightly embarrassing.

Maybe a lot of the players should be a little less concerned with their twitter and facebook profile pictures and statuses and be more concerned with their training, preparation and performances.  Some of the twitter posts by some of the Antrim players (you probably know who they are) are frankly embarrassing and cringe worthy between playing to the media, selling products and coming on talking about Antrim Roars and all.  I am sorry but no amount of Antrim roars will get a player to defend better, an attacker to score or indeed a goalie to save shots I have only been to one game admittedly but normally don't miss.  It's a bit embarrassing to be honest to be an Antrim supporter at the minute.

Personally think that's a bit harsh. The players can do as they please on social networking as can anyone. You have to remember that these players don't get a penny for playing.

It is frustrating to constantly lose and although on a personal level some of the players might be hard to like, we should always give full support to those who put on the jersey... well most of them :-)

stiffler

Any teams interested in a u16 friendly please pm for details.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

country bumpkin

Jeez never read such rubbish even on a site which is usually more fiction than fact............get a grip MickeyJoe and ur depth of knowledge on the football front is ceertainly open to question...............sure Kilkenny have not participated in football for a couple of years...........

stibhan

Give it to an Antrim man... jesus christ.

Gold

Quote from: stibhan on March 13, 2014, 01:31:32 PM
Give it to an Antrim man... jesus christ.

"someone we all looked up to"

Who is that?!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Bit hard there on Mickey80 there. Come out and tell us what you think lad you are entitled to your opinion.

You are not the first to talk about these "inflated egos". Nor are you the first to think it is embarassing being an Antrim Football supporter at the minute.

But we are certainly not the second worst football team in the country thats for sure. The players we have are a lot better than that. Just over a year ago we played Derry in a Mc Kenna cup match. Believe me Brian Mc Ivor wasnt turning Derry out to lose. We drew that game in Celtic Pk playing great football - in fact we threw it away when a forward shit himself near the end and missed a 21 yard tap over to win it.

Derry are near the top of Division One, and we are near the bottom of Division Four. Likewise we beat Down just over six weeks ago in Newry. And James Mc Cartan was not trying to lose at home to Antrim.

We HAVE the players to be at the very least a mid division two team. So what are we doing wrong?? Last year Frank Dawson was getting dogs abuse on here, and now we cant buy a win in Division Four. Is it the boards fault? Is it the managements fault? Is it the players fault?

I know one thing. Unless it gets sorted, a lot of Club Antrim standing orders will be cancelled and there will be no one pay to watch a bunch of failures playing in Europes finest new stadium.

Leadership comes from the top, and if they dont give a damn why should anyone else.