Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: jftj on November 27, 2013, 09:16:03 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 27, 2013, 08:53:45 PM
Quote from: bannside on November 27, 2013, 06:54:05 PM
Looking back at it (particularly the eighties and nineties) lots of SW teams were all three or four players short of a full hand. Cargin the exception - they had the panels but an attitude that was more about the macho stuff. Self imploded a few times. They had  few macho managers too which didnt help! JC changed that and his reward was to get shafted.

How did celebrations go Bannside?!

Jfjt you are such a child. Yeah they were good players. Aidan great with ball in hand and their best player. But were a simply good (not great) solid unit as i said before without any great invention or players with a sense of adventure up front.

You cannot tell me they compare to galls and their 12 antrims, 5 kilmacuds, 1 all ireland??
is that your "phrase of the day"great invention with sense of adventure"by the way I think that phrase would suit joe Kennedy down to a tee.I also rated aiden Donnelly very highly.st Paul's had 6 or 7 players who would match up to st galls easily but then again cargin have that also.st galls main weapon is their strength in depth .15v15 you'd have to fancy galls.

I'm just saying what i think. Ive no axe to grind with any team. Your only new on here so you wouldnt know--i love Antrim and wish all teams could pull together to improve our lot.

By my phrase i meant good forward play, fake handpasses, dummy solos, ways to open up teams. Pauls didnt have that back then from what i saw. Same as your Johnnies team. Andy McCallan wouldve had that sense of adventure i talk about.

Your obsession with refs and anger etc is a laugh. Your keen on making enemies. Wise up this isnt Hoganstand!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Has Baker started yet? Backroom staff sorted? No need for trials? He knows all the players out their plus a young buck from Portglenone back in the game and playing for UUJ I see also.

Just needs to take away the passports at the start of the year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Sunday night was just mad in the town Gold. First silverware for over 30 years and what  way to do it. My eldest lad Shane had the added honour of bringing the cup home to a packed (mental) social club where the club had laid on a reception.

Most of the team hit the Hatfield on Monday but tried hard as I did to go with them, they finally managed to give me the slip!!

Unbelievable few days that will last long in the memory.

Thanks to all for messages of goodwill and support. Much appreciated.

Milltown Row2

Brill, always good to have that feeling of winning, I don't care if we continue winning for another 12 odd years the feeling is always the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: bannside on November 27, 2013, 10:34:05 PM
Sunday night was just mad in the town Gold. First silverware for over 30 years and what  way to do it. My eldest lad Shane had the added honour of bringing the cup home to a packed (mental) social club where the club had laid on a reception.

Most of the team hit the Hatfield on Monday but tried hard as I did to go with them, they finally managed to give me the slip!!

Unbelievable few days that will last long in the memory.

Thanks to all for messages of goodwill and support. Much appreciated.

Class. Delighted for you. Heard your FF's leg was hangin off too.

Is it true you had FOUR sons in the back 6 including the entire half back line?!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Yes Gold. It was a fantastic day for all club members as the team delivered the clubs biggest and most prestigious win in its history.

To do it coming from 8 behind Creggan with fifteen minutes left, and 4 behind Cargin at one stage meant it was always going to be memorable. But to come from 9 behind in the final, with seven minors on the pitch was the stuff made of dreams - especially with so many Lamhs with recent county experience versus so many of our lads who went those trials but didnt make it!

Great too for a new management team of senior players who lost more than their share of finals over the years, and won this so early in their management careers.

Having four sons on the team was extra special though. How do you follow that?

oneclubonelife

Many of the U21 panel involved with the senior squad. This will surely give Casement's an impetuous going forward. The future looks good going forward but there is a major leap and steep learning curve to turn U21 success into senior success

Dreen

Congratulations to the whole Portglenone Club on the success from a somewhat jealous Rasharkin man, fully deserved.

The strong reserve setup you have i think is a great thing, gives young players a great platform for football after minor even they aren't ready for senior football.  I'm not sure this impacted on your u21 side right enough but its something i took notice of last season against yous.  I hope the lads are enjoying a beer this week as they have fought for their right to party.

bannside

100% agree. St Galls made great strides on the back of successive under 21 titles. Notably, most of their team stayed and kicked on together. Plus Mickey Culbert gave them their head too, and I'm sure a few noses were put out of joint at the time. But it paid dividends.

Casements went close last year (we took the winners to extra time in the semis). Won it this year (phew) and (whisper it) possibly our strongest team is next year (feile team).

Think you need a few years on the trot to produce really strong panels, so hopefully Casements can push on in the near future.

They are not on their own. St Johns have easily the best recent under-age record. Like the look of Rossa and St Endas too, on top of the Creggans, Cargins, Galls who also have good conveyor belts in progress. And the Lamhs too will like what they are bringing through.

These things sometimes go in cycles - remember it was St Pauls at underage for a good while. Have to say I had hoped for a greater return from the Malone Road men. Not just the big force coming through that was envisaged- would love to see their breakthrough though. The more "big guns" the better. The Galls Cargin thing every year has got repetitive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on November 28, 2013, 11:03:32 AM
100% agree. St Galls made great strides on the back of successive under 21 titles. Notably, most of their team stayed and kicked on together. Plus Mickey Culbert gave them their head too, and I'm sure a few noses were put out of joint at the time. But it paid dividends.

Casements went close last year (we took the winners to extra time in the semis). Won it this year (phew) and (whisper it) possibly our strongest team is next year (feile team).

Think you need a few years on the trot to produce really strong panels, so hopefully Casements can push on in the near future.

They are not on their own. St Johns have easily the best recent under-age record. Like the look of Rossa and St Endas too, on top of the Creggans, Cargins, Galls who also have good conveyor belts in progress. And the Lamhs too will like what they are bringing through.

These things sometimes go in cycles - remember it was St Pauls at underage for a good while. Have to say I had hoped for a greater return from the Malone Road men. Not just the big force coming through that was envisaged- would love to see their breakthrough though. The more "big guns" the better. The Galls Cargin thing every year has got repetitive.

Then fix it ;)

Yeah Michael put a few noses out of joint, have you seen his own nose goes in 3 different directions, though he never got that through playing football lol. I was under age captain of our juvenile teams right through to minor. Got to under 21 Mickey dropped me!! never cared for what went on before, worried about what he seen at the time

DearyMe

Well done to Portgleone - magic stuff!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Gizzy15

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2013, 12:21:54 PM

Then fix it ;)

Yeah Michael put a few noses out of joint, have you seen his own nose goes in 3 different directions, though he never got that through playing football lol. I was under age captain of our juvenile teams right through to minor. Got to under 21 Mickey dropped me!! never cared for what went on before, worried about what he seen at the time

Not a bad judge then lol ;D

RefForFee

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 26, 2013, 07:47:43 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 26, 2013, 02:29:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2013, 12:26:47 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 26, 2013, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: jftj on November 25, 2013, 10:46:25 PM
Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on November 25, 2013, 08:35:10 PM
Im told the letter sent into UC from the "Judas"(as he is now known)referee is out there now in circulation, who knows what website that might end up on??
right so a referee with a bit of sense(totes) decides to tell the truth about a very poor referee who ruined one of the best games of the year and as a result he is called a 'judas'.MIBAG ,I believe you are Duffy(the ref in question)and I have heard you are thinking of retirement-happy days,close the door after you.Please don't follow into officialdom like all the rest of the failed refs because I don't think our county can take any more pythons squeezing the life out of our games.'URGENTLY NEEDED '!'true Gaels who wish to improve our players to an extent where we can challenge annually.'Requirements'-heart and soul.

Agree 100% jftj that particular man in black of whom you speak is arrogant in the extreme and he would certainly fit in with
those 'pythons'. He was appointed to ref the senior semi final game involving cargin and lamh dhearg and his performance was wholly biased as the stats of the game underline.....fact, 1.cargin were not awarded a single free kick within 70 metres from the l dearg posts for the duration of the game 2. cargin obviously did not record a single score from a free for the duration 3. l dearg were awarded a most dubious penalty, and of their total 1-9 scored only three came from play... I am quite certain that cargin would be delighted if he slammed the door shut on his way out.

More bullshite, seriously do you think Naomh Gall need the referee to 'help' us win the championship?  We don't give away too many frees either in our games, do it in the opositions half as they can lead to scores (if you're going to foul, do it in their half of the pitch, have you learnt nothing?)

More referee flogging, teams lose games, if you're good enough you'll win, we haven't complained about too many refereeing decisions funny enough ;)
So just where do I mention Gall's Milltown?????...........
The Referee bashing alive and well I note,hh hmm :o
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gizzy15 on November 28, 2013, 12:48:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2013, 12:21:54 PM

Then fix it ;)

Not a bad judge then lol ;D

Spot on Grizzy, too fond of me drink and far more interested in the wee ball game anyway at the time, wish I had have stayed on looking back but sure we know everything when we are that age!! #knowfcukall   

oneclubonelife

Bannside - How many of the U21 side are ready for senior football-I see you say that next years team of U21's is possibility stronger than this years - would Casements main aim now be to get promotion so they can compete at the top leverl are  they ready?