Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Sadly I doubt we'd be considered a big job though :(

There are a lot of nice to have names we could spout but like as been said before it's likely going to be all about money.

I would guess it'll be a local rather than a Derry guy. Does Johnny McBride manager? McFlynn over Creggan just seems to have made them play ultra defensively. Hard to know about Adams. St Johns have had a lot of underage talent and haven't set the world alight yet but maybe 3 or 4 years time that could happen.

If we can get our best 15 it would be a start. I think we can forget the McGourtys but them aside if we can get our best 15 we could and should win division 4 and maybe get a run in qualifiers and if a favourable draw a win or two in ulster. Really need Gallagher, Scullion McCann etc to be playing and hopefully Sweeney will still play.

Milltown Row2

After watching the county final at the weekend I was coming away from the game wondering if Justin Crozier was playing, realised later he'd been marking Pollock, both must have cancelled each other out, but the thing is I rember a list of Antrim players by the Independent, Antrims best 15, Crozier was listed on it as was Mick McCann, but no Sean Kelly, very strange I thought at the time.

Crozier seems to have went of the radar a bit, What age is he? Same age as CJ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

He was in the same minor team so yeah at a guess the same age. What age is that - about 25 now?

Crozier looked great early on but seems to have dipped a bit. Seemed to suffer a bit from his versatility.

Kelly in my view would be the best club footballer we've seen in antrim for years. He hasn't quite had the same influence at county level - real pity that during his prime him and Baker didn't seem to click.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2013, 02:44:37 PM
He was in the same minor team so yeah at a guess the same age. What age is that - about 25 now?

Crozier looked great early on but seems to have dipped a bit. Seemed to suffer a bit from his versatility.

Kelly in my view would be the best club footballer we've seen in antrim for years. He hasn't quite had the same influence at county level - real pity that during his prime him and Baker didn't seem to click.

He played 9 odd years for Antrim and was one of the best corner backs in Ulster at the time. I think things have been clouded over the years about him not being a Antrim great TBH.

We wouldn't have won had he not been on the ball last week in the second half I thought
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

He was really plugging a gap at corner back though and did a decent job but his reading of the game and marking men but not outstanding IMO as he was out of position. Great half back, good corner back I thought...

He's a joy to watch at club level. I think st galls are a lot like cross in the regard that an outstanding half back (Kernan / Kelly) is really the platform for a lot of their successes. Also marking those half backs would go a long way to stopping either in my view but easier said than done!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2013, 03:36:28 PM
He was really plugging a gap at corner back though and did a decent job but his reading of the game and marking men but not outstanding IMO as he was out of position. Great half back, good corner back I thought...

He's a joy to watch at club level. I think st galls are a lot like cross in the regard that an outstanding half back (Kernan / Kelly) is really the platform for a lot of their successes. Also marking those half backs would go a long way to stopping either in my view but easier said than done!

Kernan is a class act , as you say makes them tick, he gets the ball and can shift, with vison also to pick out a pass, obviously Cross have a lot of lads that are in a different bracket (Clarke) to most clubs in Ulster but Kernan stands out.

He beat us on his own in the final a few years ago, Osin will claim the scores but Aaron set them up, won the ball in corner back took ball up  the pitch and the ball ended up in the back of the net ffs

glens abu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2013, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2013, 02:44:37 PM

He played 9 odd years for Antrim and was one of the best corner backs in Ulster at the time. I think things have been clouded over the years about him not being a Antrim great TBH.

We wouldn't have won had he not been on the ball last week in the second half I thought

Great player and you are right give plenty for Antrim.

jftj

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2013, 03:51:54 PM

Kernan is a class act , as you say makes them tick, he gets the ball and can shift, with vison also to pick out a pass, obviously Cross have a lot of lads that are in a different bracket (Clarke) to most clubs in Ulster but Kernan stands out.

He beat us on his own in the final a few years ago, Osin will claim the scores but Aaron set them up, won the ball in corner back took ball up  the pitch and the ball ended up in the back of the net ffs
the difference between kelly and kernan is about 1and a half stone of muscle thats why kernan is so effective in county football.

stibhan

Quote from: jftj on October 03, 2013, 06:06:04 PM

the difference between kelly and kernan is about 1and a half stone of muscle thats why kernan is so effective in county football.

Complete myth. Kernan played with much better players his whole career.

DearyMe

Quote from: jftj on October 03, 2013, 06:06:04 PM

Dribble! Typical nay say jealous response from... - agree with stibhan - better players!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

DuffleKing

Sean Kelly a better player by some distance. Rolls Royce wing back who can do his defensive work as well

AQMP

In other news I see James Loughrey has been nominated for an All Star.

jftj

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 04, 2013, 09:40:09 AM

Sean Kelly a better player by some distance. Rolls Royce wing back who can do his defensive work as well
i,ve heard it all now

time ticking away

Would Carl Mc Cabe have a chance of getting the Antrim job?
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

reddog

Antrim need to think outside the box.

Jim Mccorry is supposedly leaving killkoo this year. He completely transformed that club. Raymond Munroe did great things in my opinion with Tyrone minors and with his club Carrickmore. Paul Mc ivor is potentially another option. Banty would also be a really good option. He is a wealthy man as it is and would bring unbelievable passion to the county as would another Monaghan man Bernie Murray who played senior for Monaghan and has coached queens , Monaghan minors and dromintee.