Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

TS has a bit much to say for himself on this, he shouldnt be pointing fingers in that kind of way, especially since he wasnt on the first 15. Doesnt sound good coming from someone with the squad.

imtommygunn

What did Scullion say?

I thought young Murray did alright on Saturday - he was willing to show for the ball and was willing to have a go at taking men on. He wasn't getting support so ended up in traffic a lot but to avoid that he needed support. I thought he looked like he had potential. I thought Mickey Pollock was poor in that he wasn't positive at all and always ended up going backwards and should have been off first.

It did seem harsh on McVeigh being taken off at half time but we did improve second half it has to be said. We hadn't much to improve upon but we did improve. To be fair to him he was having a go.

We need Kevin Niblock back - he is a massive loss to that team. Also Scullion must start as he's one of few people in the team who can actually break a tackle. Delargy is just too light for the half back line. He's young and will improve. I thought he did well in the corner and deserves to start therebut he loses the ball in the tackle due to lack of strength in the HB line so corner back would suit him much better for now.

Here's hoping for better on Sunday. We can't be as bad as Saturday or we'd never get any points off anyone.  How that game only ended up with 2 points in it I'll never know. There were so many anonymous players that you'd expect so much more of.

AQMP

Quote from: NAG1 on March 19, 2013, 03:21:25 PM
TS has a bit much to say for himself on this, he shouldnt be pointing fingers in that kind of way, especially since he wasnt on the first 15. Doesnt sound good coming from someone with the squad.

Haven't seen any papers today.  What did Scullion say??

NAG1

Quote from: AQMP on March 19, 2013, 03:47:40 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 19, 2013, 03:21:25 PM

Haven't seen any papers today.  What did Scullion say??

Tony Scullion says Antrim fans who paid into Casement Park on Saturday should be refunded.

The Saffrons failed to get out of first gear as they were comfortably defeated by Roscommon and Scullion - who was omitted from the starting XV - had a bird's eye view of the action for most of the first half as he sat on the bench:

"It's been a long time since I got to sit and watch a first half like that,"

"I can tell you, anybody that paid into that deserves their money back. It was totally abysmal.

"Sometimes, it's hard to judge when you're playing as you don't know how good or bad some matches are, but I can safely say it's the worst I've watched.

"To sit and watch that was very frustrating. That was a promotion game for us - now we're facing relegation. It's back to the drawing board for a whole lot of people.

"It's Division Three football and we're playing as if it was Division Four football. It's very hard to comprehend and it's frustrating more than anything."

bannside

Minors lose very heavily in first league game - I think we managed to score two points all night. No respite there then as our performances at minor level in recent years goes from bad to worse.

Under 21`s turn tonight. Hearing that Martin Johnston has made himself available. That's a noble gesture under difficult circumstances.

We need a performance tonight to lift the gloom. With Derry providing the opposition we shouldn't need any further motivation!

Question to test your knowledge. When was the last time we won an Under twenty one championship game??

bannside

A bit longer than that unfortunately - 2006 we beat Fermanagh by 12 points. I would be fairly certain we haven't won a championship match since. Hopefully tonight will end that barren spell.

brendanbelfast

You are right - I think I remember now who was managing that team.....and we were unlucky to lose the semi final to Tyrone. That was a good crop.

Milltown Row2

Surely we have a decent squad, Lamhs must be strong at this level and Creggan have been going great guns, the Johnnies? I know we are poor enough at this level but would supply at least 1/2 players.

Squad named?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

We had a decent enough team a few years back - Ryan Murray was playing and I think it was the year Lamh Dhearg won ulster.

We got beat by Tyrone in the 1st round. Tyrone went on to win the AI. I think that team would have beat a lot in Ulster - just got a bad draw.

bannside

I have talked that 06 episode to death over the years Brendan, but it still rankles so badly that we wasted our best ever chance of an all Ireland title with a lot of shenanigans behind the scenes that left a lot to be desired. No-one really believed in that team at the time, especially not the admin of the day who simply didn't believe we had enough quality in our midst to do something like that.

Mick, Locky and Niblock have all represented Ulster since then, and then throw in Tomas, Andy Mc Clean, and Paddy Cunningham.  Paddy Carey, Declan O Hagan and Michael Pollock have all also represented the county seniors since then, and of course CJ and Justy weren't available for reasons previously well documented.

Then throw in Paul Gribbon (Paul Veronica) who needs no introduction and two excellent players that have slipped through the net, but were class acts at that time - as good as any of the others - Conor Mc Goldrick and David Mc Alernon - who but for circumstances would have definitely made the breakthrough at senior level too.

To be remembered for all time as the one that got away.

This years group is decent and I would expect half a dozen of them to make the step up in the next few years - but I greatly fear that we might not see a group like 06 again any time soon.

Simon Says

Team for sunday from what ive seen so far, and what is a must win game or we are back to the dark days of div 4 football. need a big turnout to help get the lads over the line, last saturdays crowd was embarrassing as was the onfield performance.

kerr
KOBO
mc lean
delargy
scullion
crozier
healy
carland
mcveigh
murray
niblock if fit? kelly
brendan herron
tomas
pollock
ryan murray

Gold

03 v Armagh was last U-21 win before that. Dunno when time before that was.

As for Minor--beat Donegal in 2010

Won 2 games in 06 --other than that 1998 for last win?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Was that minor win not in 2011 Gold. Kevin Quinn got a couple of goals that day. Cavan beat us in Newry after that.

In 06 we just got one win, before Tyrone beat us 0-13 to 0-11 in Omagh in the SF. Tyrone lost the AIF in extra time I think.

Simon Says

you should know bannside you managed that team in 06?