Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Says

In regards to magill, he is now 30 something and wants to finish his career perhaps winning a senior championship with cargin. although i cant see st galls being beaten for at least 5 years. I think there key players taking a break from county will do them the world of good.

in terms of sunday as a proud johnnies man, i cant get my head round how we dont have at least one player starting on the county team, we were the second best team in the county getting beaten by st galls in the final. St galls only had 2 players on the starting 15? how does this reflect antrim football?

Simon Says

the two best teams in the county played out the county final. you can only beat whos in front of you.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Simon Says on February 12, 2013, 02:45:02 PM
In regards to magill, he is now 30 something and wants to finish his career perhaps winning a senior championship with cargin. although i cant see st galls being beaten for at least 5 years. I think there key players taking a break from county will do them the world of good.

in terms of sunday as a proud johnnies man, i cant get my head round how we dont have at least one player starting on the county team, we were the second best team in the county getting beaten by st galls in the final. St galls only had 2 players on the starting 15? how does this reflect antrim football?

I don't understand why people keep asking about st galls players on the team... Dawson picks what is available to him. If everyone was available more than 2 galls playes would be on it. Healy and McLean should be back at some stage too.

What St Johns players would be on it? The two best teams in the county do not necessarily play out the county final. Lamhs and Cargin would be better than johnnies.

manballandall

Just out of curiosity, what 2 players would you drop for anto and andy?

Simon Says

Andy will go into full back from what ive seen so far this season, surely simon mc donagh and conall kelly should be starting as should patrick mc bride and bam. i think lamh dhearg are done, they had their chance to catch st galls on the hop last year, there back line is poor. they will find it very difficult to contain a cargin forward line of magill, o boyle, close, tomas and paul mc cann and fergal J. anto healy will come into wing back, is sean kellys younger brother on the panel to?

imtommygunn

The 4 of them - absolutely no way.

No offense to the fella but I think Conal Kelly is overrated and shouldn't be on the team. Haven't seen enough of McBride. What's McDonagh's best position? Bam good sub but not starting 15.

McLean to full back. Healy to contest number 4 / number 7 positions.

bannside

The info I got from some well connected friends in Kerry (when I asked about Conall Kelly) was that he would have been as good as some of the players on the Kerry panel. Was well thought of down there, and I remember thinking we were losing a good player when it became clear he was not returning to Belfast.

Personally I think Conall still has enough to offer and is worthy of game time.

DearyMe

Jesas call a spade a spade!

Johnnies 2nd best in county because they limped into a county final? Cargin and lamhs would give them a pasting in championship.

I take the point about players being available and all that - Bam, Kelly, Doc, Magill, and others only get in due to absence of galls players -

Harsh reality!!!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Simon Says

i think patrick mc bride could play wing back in this current team, and long term replacement for tony scullion. Mcdonagh is an option at midfield and full forward. Conall can play anywhere from 8-15.

Whats our strongest team at the minute from the players available?

manballandall

Simon I'd quite like to hear your starting 15 with the 4 johnnies boys starting that you said earlier?

CentreHalfBack

McDonagh is a very limited footballer. I personally wouldn't have him on the panel never mind the starting 15!
New season - new reason

otbar

Deary Me - that is dumbest thing i have ever heard - get off your love for st galls - with all st galls players present they would not knock them boys of the county.  St galls are a great unit but not spectacular individuals and the main point here is that the players absent cant cut it when it comes to putting in the effort and are more concerned about the irish news back page.

Simon Says

Otbar are you joking? they have great individual players and if that is a blatant dig at certain individuals you need to wise up. if karl stewart, sean kelly, terry o neill, colin brady, the mc gourtys all committed they would start.

my team would be

Kerr
o boyle
mc clean
mc bride
scullion
crozier
healy
mccann
mcveigh
murray
niblock
t.mc cann
pollock
doot
mc donagh - to play as third midfielder

Milltown Row2

Quote from: otbar on February 14, 2013, 10:48:16 AM
Deary Me - that is dumbest thing i have ever heard - get off your love for st galls - with all st galls players present they would not knock them boys of the county.  St galls are a great unit but not spectacular individuals and the main point here is that the players absent cant cut it when it comes to putting in the effort and are more concerned about the irish news back page.

I'd say they are more interested in winning Championships and reaching Croke park in fairness, I've said it before and say it again you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink it, if they are interested they will train and play. Silly argument going on. Dawsy has his players, they are doing fine, we never beat Sligo (lately) and weren't going to last week regardless of who was playing.

As for that point on them not being great individuals and good just as a unit, silly statement, Kelly, the McGourty's, McLean, Nibllock, Stewart, and Burnsy (in his day) to name but a few are cracking players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Beat us in the play off final one year did they not? Beat us last week did they not? I'd say over the years Sligo are beating us more, I stand to be corrected though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea