Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 22, 2012, 09:00:31 PM
Minor doesn't always seem to translate to u21... I thought with lamh dhearg winning the league that was their young boys coming through. St johns always seem to lose a lot from minor as well.

Fair play to creggan. I was hoping they'd have been closer to cargin/ st galls at senior level by now but hopefully still a lot to come through.
Maybe we'll see portglenone back in division 1 soon too...

As like the first part of your post it doesn't always translate to senior also. Who knows why, sometimes an inspirational manager gets that extra 20 percent out of the team or a bitta luck in winning a championship sets the team on their way. They are then competing for finals every year. After this years performances though I think we may win the next 3/4 championships!! That's not us getting better by the way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It is probably difficult with the focus though milltown. The last god knows how many antrim championships have been won in second gear.

The hope would always have been that other teams would rise to that level but it doesn't appear to be happening and your only way of being beat looks to be a downward spiral rather than an upward one from anyone else.

Gort na mona had lots of good minors too but they appear to have faded away.

I still don't understand how cargin can't be better with the players at their disposal.

bannside

It seems to come in cycles. When I was a nipper St Johns were the team. Then it was Galls and a bit of St Teresas for a bit. St Pauls came on the scene and won three or four titles I believe. Then St Galls came with their current run.

The only constant is that Cargin are always thereabouts in the mix.

If I am honest the biggest disappointment recently has been the levelling off of St Bridgids after a great 4/3/2/1 run. They havent kicked on, and yet there isnt a club better organised anywhere.

Would it not be safe to say that St Galls underage conveyor belt has slowed away down too. Good bit away from the likes of Andy/Nibs/Aidso/Gribbeys et all who must have had 4 under twenty ne championship medals at least.

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: DearyMe on October 22, 2012, 03:16:52 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179659

Have you ever heard anything like this in your life!!!!

If i was a ciaran man, i know what i would be saying to McGuckin! WONDER IS HE GETTING TIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Initially i was in disbelief at what Ronan had done and would agree with you DM, but it seems when he took on the job of manager initially he informed the EC committee that if this situation ever arose he would stand a side, so far play to him.

manballandall

Quote from: Rasharkin Gael on October 23, 2012, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: DearyMe on October 22, 2012, 03:16:52 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179659

Have you ever heard anything like this in your life!!!!

If i was a ciaran man, i know what i would be saying to McGuckin! WONDER IS HE GETTING TIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Initially i was in disbelief at what Ronan had done and would agree with you DM, but it seems when he took on the job of manager initially he informed the EC committee that if this situation ever arose he would stand a side, so far play to him.
I have heard something similar is in place in st galls if they too were to meet Errigal as their training team hail from there

bannside

Lads I see it the completely other way. This dosent shock me at all. I would say there is no man worth his salt who would ever manage a club to beat his own in a game of this importance. Never a chance in hell that Ronan Mc Guckin would manage against the Shamrocks.

Nothing at all in the least bit unusual about this. It goes with the territory. You dont plot your own clubs downfall - period!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on October 23, 2012, 03:00:03 PM
Lads I see it the completely other way. This dosent shock me at all. I would say there is no man worth his salt who would ever manage a club to beat his own in a game of this importance. Never a chance in hell that Ronan Mc Guckin would manage against the Shamrocks.

Nothing at all in the least bit unusual about this. It goes with the territory. You dont plot your own clubs downfall - period!

If a team is getting to ulster club championship games then their downfall is far from happening anytime soon.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

Will he be having a quiet word with ballinderrys management team then to avoid that downfall ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2012, 04:26:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 23, 2012, 03:14:00 PM

If a team is getting to ulster club championship games then their downfall is far from happening anytime soon.
I think he means in a particular game rather than in general.

Well I take plotting the downfall of your club as a bigger thing than a championship game, but sure

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2012, 11:43:45 PM
Yes but you are not very wise.

To take this as far as you can go, the ultimate downfall of a club would be to not field any teams at any age group and end up defunct. To be able to do this as a manager of a club team in another county would be some feat.

By downfall, he means in this game.

Other examples:

Antrim beat Donegal. Donegal had most of the play but kicking 17 wides was their downfall.

NB This does not mean that Donegal ceased to be.

Hardstation tries hard and shows great enthusiasm in mathematics but long division is his downfall.

NB This does not mean that hardstation lay down and died when asked 24 into 865.

seriously???

CitySlicker11

aontroim

From antrim website:

QuoteFrank Dawson has recruited Paddy Graffin as a selector on his backroom team.

Paddy, From St Marys, Ahoghill, managed Cargin senior football team in 2012 and also was part of the County Minor Football management team from 2011 - 2012.

culchie11

Anyone hear how trial went tues night?

Heard under 30 turned up!
Dawson has a training plan done out for 4 nights a week before Christmas, going up to 5 nights after it!
Be big commitment to be part of his panel, hopefully our best players buy into it!

bannside

Good call by Frank Dawson. Paddy Graffin played full back for Cragin and Antrim too. A good operator who will get the best out of his quota of players. The three selectors have all the links you need with the top clubs in the county at the minute.

If thats true about four nights rising to five after Christmas, thats what it takes. November to February the only time to get serious conditioning work done.

optimus cheese