Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: Glensman on October 03, 2011, 03:36:11 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on October 03, 2011, 12:21:32 PM
did O'Donnells win the jfc again? Was that twice in two years and if so how did they manage to win it and not move up to the ifc?

I think you can choose to stay down (well at least their example shows you can).

While the manger spoke very well and is a character in my humble opinion there ain't much glory winning at the same level two years in a row. You go up, seek to earn your keep at the higher level and if its not going well then come back down 2/3 years later.

It can't be used as 'experience' for the Ulster series. They'll get beat again anyway.

I see they are due to play the Armagh champions, any idea who it is?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

4father

http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/video/Antrim-Clubs-2011/ODonnells/Movie-Star-Joe-McVeigh-Antrim-JFC-Winner-707

Cringeworthy stuff.  Airy Og??  Come on, at least pronounce your opponents name correctly.  What is this ridiculous 'talk is cheap, you need money for hot dogs' quote about?  Who is he referring to about their chances being talked down?  They were the Junior champions ffs and in Division 3, they were utter favourites for it.  Love to see what they'll do next year.

As someone says, there's little glory in winning the JUNIOR championship twice in a row.  Come on!!  Other thing that annoys me is the amount of people I recognised in that video who came from other clubs.  I saw a St Galls man, A Johnnies man or two, quite a few Gortnamona men, a Davitts man etc.  I actually feel a bit scundered for them winning that. 

I know I'm being hard on them a bit and to be fair, they are just a bunch of fella's playing Gaelic Games and promoting it once again in the area which is good to see but i hate to see teams being made from what they are calling 'signings'.

imtommygunn

4father I wouldn't be too sure who plays for O'Donnells this year however if you were to look at photos in their changing rooms / clubhouse you would find that they have seriously suffered from their own players moving to bigger clubs. In the last 20 years there'd be a few county boys who played for them but moved to bigger clubs so you may not be entirely on the money with what you're thinking there.

I'm not from O'Donnells or next to near it by the way. I just remember playing them a few times and seeing some big names who just jumped to other clubs and feeling a bit sorry for them. They've suffered enough with it over the years too.

4father

You're right.  I've been too hard on them.  At the end of the day, its good to see them back and at it again.  I know they've had a load of players leave and head to other clubs (think Gavin Bell was an ODs man was he not?) in the past not to mention the hardship their club has had with McCrory park etc.  And I know its good to see ODs tops all around the Whiterock and St James area.

I know one or two of the real ODs men and they're a hard crowd to listen to at the minute.  I just don't think that two wrongs make a right.  They have been making more 'signings' that Man City of late though (taking players from other clubs - something they suffered from) and then re-entered a competition that they won last year which I think is unfair and a bit embarrassing for them. 

imtommygunn

Well I would agree with you that they shouldn't be entering a championship they won 2 years in a row. The county shouldn't be allowing it to happen either and should be rules against it.

Dunno what the story is with them signing players but they've lost a lot over the years too.  Big Colm McCabe was too and there were a few more I can't recall. I would begrudge a country team doing it a lot more than a smaller city team.

4father

I don't think there's much of a difference whether its a rural club or a city club doing it.  It shouldn't happen.

imtommygunn

No however if you got screwed from it often enough though I would guess it would make you more likely to do it. Let's face it - it's rife in Belfast and unless it's stamped up by authorities, not necessarily the county board but maybe further afield, it will continue to happen. That does not excuse it but when you're disadvantaged by it often enough it would be hard to not take advantage of it.

4father

Fair enough but to the real club people, are they not just blow-ins then?  Granted, you always get the odd one or two who turn into good club people.

imtommygunn

Well it is has the potential to cause difficulty. While some boys have cleared off for bigger clubs others have dedicated themselves through tough years and possibly got dropped etc.

I don't advocate it but for a club like o'donnells I have some sympathy. For bigger clubs I think it's disgusting mind.

As well as anything else you may have to consider that without a few "blow ins" this club may not be able to field.

Gold

Quote from: 4father on October 03, 2011, 05:53:22 PM
http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/video/Antrim-Clubs-2011/ODonnells/Movie-Star-Joe-McVeigh-Antrim-JFC-Winner-707

Cringeworthy stuff.  Airy Og??  Come on, at least pronounce your opponents name correctly.  What is this ridiculous 'talk is cheap, you need money for hot dogs' quote about?  Who is he referring to about their chances being talked down?  They were the Junior champions ffs and in Division 3, they were utter favourites for it.  Love to see what they'll do next year.

As someone says, there's little glory in winning the JUNIOR championship twice in a row.  Come on!!  Other thing that annoys me is the amount of people I recognised in that video who came from other clubs.  I saw a St Galls man, A Johnnies man or two, quite a few Gortnamona men, a Davitts man etc.  I actually feel a bit scundered for them winning that. 

I know I'm being hard on them a bit and to be fair, they are just a bunch of fella's playing Gaelic Games and promoting it once again in the area which is good to see but i hate to see teams being made from what they are calling 'signings'.

Signings, Hot Dogs, Airy Og??!!!

WTF??!!

I wonder what gaels from round Ulster think of that lunatic!!

Some craic!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

antrimgeal1989

real problem for belfast clubs. i doubt there is any way of policing this. parents will send their talented children to bigger clubs in search of glory. disagree with ods entering junior again. look for example what st brigids and ahoghill have done over the past years...won junior and progressed and are now both senior teams. maybe ods are happy at this level.

intermediate semi final on wednesday...going for ballymena by two

Milltown Row2

While the rule is in place (for both) then it will continue.

I'd prefer that it didn't happen. In Juvenile it's been banned in Belfast, a lot of clubs not happy namely St Johns.

While we have had some lads come and play for us, I'd say none of them would have made a big difference in us winning what we have had lately.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

4father

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2011, 11:15:55 PM

I'd prefer that it didn't happen. In Juvenile it's been banned in Belfast, a lot of clubs not happy namely St Johns.

While we have had some lads come and play for us, I'd say none of them would have made a big difference in us winning what we have had lately.

But those players have certainly solidified your dominance though, wouldn't you agree?

AQMP

Quote from: 4father on October 03, 2011, 05:53:22 PM

You're right...Airy Og??  In my day the proper pronounciation was Eary Og!  And what's all this Lav Yarigg??  Everyone knows it's Lamb Derg!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 4father on October 03, 2011, 11:33:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2011, 11:15:55 PM

But those players have certainly solidified your dominance though, wouldn't you agree?

No not really, have been to many Galls games?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea