USFC Final Antrim v Tyrone Clones 19th July

Started by milltown row, June 27, 2009, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Frank Casey

O'Neill - I've a feeling thet you're grasping at straws. Tell us you've a rake of injuries. ;)
KERRY 3:7

ziggysego

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.
The Book of Job
1     Knowest thou the time when the wild goats of the rock bring forth?

Or canst thou mark when the hinds do calve?
2     Canst thou number the months that they fulfil?

Or knowest thou the time when they bring forth?
3     They bow themselves, they bring forth their young ones,

they cast out their sorrows.
4     Their young ones are in good liking, they grow up with corn;

they go forth, and return not unto them.
5     Who hath sent out the wild ass free?

Or who hath loosed the bands of the wild ass?
6     whose house I have made the wilderness,

and the barren land his dwellings.
7     He scorneth the multitude of the city,

neither regardeth he the crying of the driver.
8     The range of the mountains is his pasture,

and he searcheth after every green thing.
9     Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee,

or abide by thy crib?
10     Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow?

Or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
11     Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great?

Or wilt thou leave thy labor to him?
12     Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed,

and gather it into thy barn?
13    Gavest thou the goodly wings unto the peacocks?

or wings and feathers unto the ostrich?
14     which leaveth her eggs in the earth,

and warmeth them in the dust,
15     and forgetteth that the foot may crush them,

or that the wild beast may break them.
16     She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not hers:

her labor is in vain without fear;
17     because God hath deprived her of wisdom,

neither hath he imparted to her understanding.
18     What time she lifteth up herself on high,

she scorneth the horse and his rider.
19     Hast thou given the horse strength?

Hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?
20     Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper?

The glory of his nostrils is terrible.
21     He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength:

he goeth on to meet the armed men.
22     He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted;

neither turneth he back from the sword.
23     The quiver rattleth against him,

the glittering spear and the shield.
24     He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage:

neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet.
25     He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha!

And he smelleth the battle afar off,
the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.
26     Doth the hawk fly by thy wisdom,

and stretch her wings toward the south?
27     Doth the eagle mount up at thy command,

and make her nest on high?
28     She dwelleth and abideth on the rock,

upon the crag of the rock, and the strong place.
29     From thence she seeketh the prey,

and her eyes behold afar off.
30     Her young ones also suck up blood:

and where the slain are, there is she.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: Frank Casey on July 15, 2009, 11:43:35 PM
O'Neill - I've a feeling thet you're grasping at straws. Tell us you've a rake of injuries. ;)

Very suspicious: McGinley's wife is a sister of Antrim's McCann. Enda goes down with an injury the week before the game.

I've been feeding my black pudding to the dog to see if he survives it before I devour the rest of herself's breakfast. Trust no one, Mickey.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

tyrone86

Quote from: hardstation on July 15, 2009, 11:59:26 PM
I find it disgusting that you quote from the book of Job when you know us Antrim boys don't have any jobs.

:D

ONeill

Who wins?

Gerry Adams v Barry McElduff
Glens v Bushes
Liam Neesen v Liam McMahon
Tony McCoy v Philomena Begley
Carrickfergus Castle v Benburb Castle
Norman Whiteside v Aaron Hughes
Joe Swail v Dennis Taylor
Belfast Crystal v Tyrone Crystal

ONeill

McRory hails Saffrons ... but can't see them beating Tyrone

Art McRory feels Antrim have been a breath of fresh air in the Ulster Championship this season.

But the man who led Tyrone to the 1986 and 1995 All Ireland Finals — not to mention five Ulster titles — is in no doubt that the fairytale will end when the Saffrons clash with the All Ireland champions in the Ulster Final in Clones on Sunday.

"I'm delighted for Antrim. Every county needs a lift," said McRory.

"They have done superbly well to get this far and it's been great to see them do so well. Now they face a massive challenge.

"Much will depend on their better players — if their best players are on top of their game they will lift the rest.

"Antrim might use the persecution complex — everyone is against us as the unfashionable team.

"But I just can't see Tyrone being beaten — in Ulster or the All Ireland. The team is even better now than it was last year."

The Red Hands beat Kerry in last year's final to clinch their third All Ireland crown but McRory sees Cork as the chief threat this time around, especially after the Rebels knocked the Kingdom out of the Munster Championship after a replay at the semi-final stage before going on to beat Limerick in the final.

"I was very confident Tyrone would beat Kerry last year but now Cork have emerged — their athleticism against Kerry was ferocious," says McRory.

"Cork have managed to put a very structured organisation in place. They have an organisation now that the players have confidence in.

"But Kerry are still a threat and my first reaction after Cork beat Kerry was that you don't win anything in June. It's all to play for yet," added Art, who has links to Kerry football — his brother is married to Kingdom legend Mikey Sheehy's sister.

And for the man who played such a key role in helping Tyrone conquer Ulster and then climb so high up the All Ireland mountain, seeing the Red Hands as the number one team in the country brings enormous pleasure.

"It's great to see Tyrone doing so well — and being able to watch them without the pressure! I can watch Tyrone now and actually enjoy the match.

"Tyrone are developing very nicely because the feeder teams are in place and are very good.

"There's a big emphasis on youth, with the county successful at youth level — schools, vocational schools, colleges. Tyrone are generally successful at Minor level, although have gone out this year.

"There are lots of good young players with the ambition to make the senior team so there are a lot of ready replacements coming through. Therefore I can see Tyrone being a force for quite a while," said McRory.

And just like the days when McRory's release from the pressure of matches in front of capac

ity crowds at the likes of Croke Park and Clones was greyhound racing, the Dungannon man still loves spending time with his dogs.

"I've been involved in dog racing all my life. All the time you are hoping that a really good dog comes along," he explained.

"From a young age I was always very interested and used to go down to my local track in Dungannon, which closed a few years ago.

"I used to go to Dunmore and Celtic Park before they closed and it's great to see Drumbo being such a success," said the retired schoolteacher, who is also steeped in the sport of basketball both as player and coach.

But it's greyhound racing that now takes up virtually all McRory's time.

"My brother Jim and I work together. Greyhounds are a seven days per week job so it's very difficult to work with them on your own and still have a life. So the two of us dovetail. If you want to get away for a few days someone has to stay behind and look after the dogs.

"The whole idea is to get out and enjoy the sport — that's the target, a bit of enjoyment and craic.

"And if you get the occasional winner, that's great.

"But it's just like the football — there are ups and downs."

And would McRory ever consider a return to the ups and downs of football management?

He has a hearty laugh before saying: "Management is a young man's game — I'm past that."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/mcrory-hails-saffrons--but-canrsquot-see-them-beating-tyrone-14406246.html

WeeDonns

Antrim manager Liam Bradley has named the same team that beat Cavan in the semi-final for Sunday's Ulster decider against All Ireland champions Tyrone in Clones.
Long serving goalkeeper Sean McGreevy, who missed the semi-final through injury has recovered but Bradley has decided to maintain the status quo and go with Creggan's Peter Graham who deputised for McGreevy against Cavan.
No. Name (As Gaelige) Name (In English) Club (As Gaelige)
1 Peadar Ó Greachain Peter Graham Ciceam Creagan
2 Coilin Ó Bradaigh Colin Brady Naomh Gall
3 Aindriu Mac Giolla Eain Andy McClean Naomh Gall
4 Caoimhin Ó Baoill Kevin O'Boyle Clann na hEireann
5 Antaine Ó Scollain Tony Scullion Clann na hEireann
6 Saerbhreathach Cruiseir Justin Crozier Clann na hEireann
7 Seamas Ó Luachra James Loughrey Naomh Brid
8 Micheal Mac Cana Michael McCann Clann na hEireann
9 Aodhan Ó Gallchoir Aodhan Gallagher Naomh Gall
10 Toirealach Ó Neill Terry O'Neill Naomh Gall
11 Caoimhin Ó Bradaigh Kevin Brady Naomh Eargnaid
12 Niall Mac Iomhair Niall McKeever Mhic Asmaint
13 Paidin Ó Cuinneagain Capt Paddy Cunningham Lamh Dhearg
14 Sean de Burca Sean Burke Naomh Gall
15 Tomas Mac Cana Tomas McCann Clann na hEireann

16 Sean Mac Fionmhacain John Finucane Lamh Dhearg
17 Padraig Ó Ciara Patrick Carey Mhic Asmaint
18 Ciaran Ó Cluasaigh Ciaran Close Clann na hEireann
19 Aaron Mac Dúghlais Aaron Douglas Naomh Eoin
20 Dara Mac Eadbhaird Dara Edwards Naomh Brid
21 Colm Pleimeann Colm Fleming Ui Donnabhain Rosa
22 Breandan Ó hosain Benny Hasson Naomh Mhuire
23 Diarmuid Mac Cana Dermot McCann Ciceam Creagan
24 Conchur Ó Muiri Conor Murray Lamh Dhearg
25 Caoimhin Nibloc Kevin Niblock Naomh Gall
26 Caoimhin Mac Uilin Kevin McQuillan Cuchullian
27 Criostoir Mac an Bheatha Chris McVeigh Naomh Seamas
28 Niall Ó Conaill Neill O'Connell Naomh Mhuire
29 Deaghlan Ó hAgain Deaghlan O'Hagan Naomh Brid
30 Micheal Poloc Michael Pollock Gort na Mona

Have any of you seen this article by the antrim PRO on their website;
http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=1778

sammymaguire

would love to see a good game but can only see a slaughter match on the cards, Tyrone -9 would be my bet but my God would I love to be eating my words IF Antrim gave them a real scare or even beat them
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ONeill

I'll have what he's having:#

Opportunity knocks.

The opportunity of a lifetime has come for Antrim football.
It must be seized within the short lifetime of that opportunity.

Clichés aside, seventy minutes is the lifetime of this immediate opportunity – let there be no mistake or misunderstanding about this.

Stones, pounds, even ounces have been shed, by Antrim Senior footballers, during a rigorous preparation and training season like none other. In lesser measure but certainly for the greater good, ounces and pounds of toned muscle tissue have totally displaced and replaced much of those former fatty deposits. Antrim Senior Footballers, of 2009, are a credit to themselves and to those they work with, for their present state of readiness and physical fitness.

However, it will take all this and more, to complete this journey, about which they could only dream, at the beginning of the current season. One day at a time, they set about a daunting task. To even suggest the possibility of such achievement, at outset, was to invite ridicule, but that is of no consequence today. What is however, entirely significant is that having come thus far, that nothing conceivable should be allowed to impede the progress to completion of a golden period in Antrim GAA history; a period hitherto unprecedented and unsurpassed.

Sunday the 19th July, is to be the day when the 'might' of Tyrone can expect to face a level of competition like none other, on Irish soil. Antrim senior footballers have well prepared for this day, their day, and will not be denied. Blood sweat and tears have been shed, in plenty, in preparation for this challenge; this is now in essence a premier Gaelic football team, at its seasonal peak, albeit starved of recognition or just reward.

For all too many generations Antrim, as a Gaa footballing county, has failed to prepare, as a whole panel, at the demanding levels otherwise pertaining to success. In consequence they have repeatedly failed to achieve, to the very point of being stigmatised as a county, seemingly unable to deliver. And yet again, paradoxically, this present panel, with each and every success or achievement to date, has had to bear the brunt of a raft of excuses for opponent failure; where such excuses invariably seemed to outnumber credits.

For 70 minutes or more, this Ulster Championship Final should be different. This Antrim panel now has something to prove, first and foremost to themselves. They are in reality, conditioned warriors, truly worthy of winning. Collectively they have the skills, the stamina and the determination to conquer.

They have also this long awaited seventy minute opportunity of a lifetime. For that same seventy minutes they must combine their talents and demonstrate definitively, to all and sundry, that they really are a team which will not accept defeat in the Ulster championship of 2009. Every minute must be made to count; every pain endured.

The level of support, now rowed in behind these Antrim athletes, is something which has never been seen in this county before; The proud display of saffron truly is a joyous site and has been for long overdue. The net effect should be a positive one on Sunday. Tyrone, to its credit, has already had its fair share of Gaa sunshine; still they are both a selfish and a proud county and would, if let, take all :]                 

Let this be the day, when Antrim Gaels, men and women of all ages, openly and unashamedly cry their tears of joy, for the restoration of Gaelic pride in their own county. Let this be the day when a sea of saffron makes a clear statement of intent and feeds our children and again our children's children, with a true sense of belonging, to a proud Irish Nation. These are high aspirations; they are also and at long last, well within reach.

Monday cannot be a day of excuses; we have been there far too many times before. By contrast, Monday and the days and weeks immediately afterwards, can and should be joyful days of unprecedented celebration for Antrim Gaels; make it be.

As for you, the players and the entire panel, you have put in the long hard hours of preparation; seventy more minutes, of being mentally tough, totally focused and prepared to give the best performance of your sporting life to date, is the price you should be prepared to pay; in return for lifetime recognition, with established friendships, which again will be yours for life. One for all and all for one - this has to be it.
Lawrence Smyth county PRO

Will Hunting

Sunday the 19th July, is to be the day when the 'might' of Tyrone can expect to face a level of competition like none other, on Irish soil.

Maybe he's thinking back to that game in the skydome?

A Quinn Martin Production

Thanks for the bold O'Neill...I couldn't get past the first paragraph.  Reminds me of the "Give My Head Peace" episode where they go to the States and they meet the priest who still has a rather romantic view of Republicanism...something like "Do the waves still flow round Galway Bay...do the sweet colleens etc" :D
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ONeill

ONeill

Quote from: Will Hunting on July 16, 2009, 10:19:54 AM
Sunday the 19th July, is to be the day when the 'might' of Tyrone can expect to face a level of competition like none other, on Irish soil.

Maybe he's thinking back to that game in the skydome?

Maybe he's refering to the Scunthorpe-soiled Croke Park. If so, it's a nasty dig at Antrim!