Rory Gallagher, the new Cavan man

Started by cavanmaniac, November 13, 2006, 10:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue06

Lads, outsiders playing for us is nothing new.

In 1947, Columba McDwyer Donegal & Brian Smith Meath played with us.  Does this taint our 'glory' days?
In 1948 Victor Sherlock joined us after playing for Meath in 1947.

In 1952 final 3 Maguire bros played 2 for Cavan one for Meath (or vice versa).

In my lifetime I recall a rumour after Eugene McGee took over that Matt Connor was coming to us.  He was a garda and was to be stationed in Cootehill.  Pat Fallon Mayo played with us in '89.  Paul Murphy Cork in '00.

When Val Andrews took over there was speculation that 3 Kerry boys that were on his Tralee IT teams were to join up.

Cork won 2 All Irelands with Kildare men their main players. Tompkins & Fahy.  Kildare under Micko were known to some as the United Nations.

cavan4ever

what about raymond cunninghan in 97!!

North Longford

And yis kept Sean Kiernan from Longford & Colmcille for that matter!!

anglocelt39

Well f**k me sideway, somebody PLEASE tell me that the Parkinson thing is a bad joke, now I could imagine that the Imperial would benefit from the Britpop one's proximity with bar takings and all that. Gallagher, Parkinson plus our own headbangers. There's the makings of a reality tv programme in this yet.

But seriously folks, whatever about headhunting fellas with some tenous connection to the county, Gallagher/Parky we are in serious danger of rendering ourselves a bigger joke than ever. I smell mullah here of course, lots of it.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

liihb

I don't think money is the reason with Gallagher, he's not short of it.
The reason I have heard is that he wants to play county football.

Presume his and Keogans mutual friendship with McHugh brought this about.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

ludermor

Gallagher will still be working in dublin but will be 'based' in cavan , whatever that means

mylestheslasher

Those guys that played with Cavan in the 40's, 50's and 60's played because they lived here. Those were diffferent times where people hadn't the money or means to make trips to other counties to train. I think it is a sad state of affairs when a county with no other sport except Football has to get players from Fermanagh (a county with the lowest number of GAA members) to try and compete. The very fact that this is happening is evidence that there are deep deep problems elsewhere and this type of shite is just glossing over it.

I wonder which Cavan men will lose out to the imports down the line?

Rossi

In Victor Sherlock's case he was born and bred in the county,played club football in Meath and then returned to play with Kingscourt.Not too sure about Brian O'Reilly he played with Carnaross not too sure if he was from Meath or Cavan.
In general most of outsiders who played with Cavan were members of clubs in the county and playing their football here, the latest being Micky Brennan, this I have no problem with.
In Gallaghers case though he's not a member of any club in county,never lived here,wasn't born here,so what the hell is he doing training with the county team.Is this just another crack in the amateur status of the GAA?

BallyhaiseMan

anyone think this thread and the Cavan GAA one should be merged?
In my opinion there should be a rule that you have to be living and playing club football in the county to be able to play for them,Isnt Gallagher going to continue playing for St Brigids?
He will get my full support...i dont think he will get such a good reception should we play Fermanagh in a game though   :o

anglocelt39

Was talking to a work colleague yesterday who is fairly close to all things Fermanagh. HIs version of things is that Gallagher would crawl back into the Fermanagh fold if taken, However the obstacle is Mulgrew and he is in place for the next three years. Mulgrew subbed him in his last championship appearance and the audible stream of abuse from Gallagher as he came off was fairly impressive and guaranteed to finish his career with Fermanagh as long as Charlie remained at the helm. Description I am hearing is that we are looking at another McCabe in terms of attitude, albeit with vastly superior fitness levels.

Taking in fellas from other counties??-would like to think there was some level of connection with Cavan GAA, however tenous-working here, playing here, family from here something?-parkinson-sure bring him on, I know for a fact he went on the piss with former Cavan and Shamrocks legend Paul O Dowd once, at least.

believebelive

As far as I know Rory did not play for Fermnaagh in 2003 or 2004. He played in 2002 and scored I think it was 3-9 against Monaghan but did not commit for the following two years. He came back in 2005 and although was top scorer in the league was dropped for the Ulster Championship against Armagh, people in the know would say that was a strange decision. he came back against Down in the qualifiers but was taken off. Apparantly he gave Mulgrew a volley of serious abuse and that burnt his bridges.
But you hear a lie and tell a lie. He was not rushing to ferm in either 2003 or 2004 though.

anglocelt39

Wouldn't be quite as convinced as yourself that I am either hearing or telling a lie. What we are agreed on is that Gallagher was subbed during his last championship appearance for Fermanagh, had a serious public falling out with Mulgrew. I can only presume that what you are questioning is my colleagues assertion that he would go back to Fermanagh if allowed, obivously this is out of season hearsay and I more or less noted that as being a man's version of things.

If you think about it logically though, if he is serious about coming back to inter county football, and time will tell on that, why with Cavan-no obivous connection and there is hardly a huge attraction in trips to Tipperary, Waterford etc. over this winter, don't see us showing too high on the Ultster betting lists for next year either. No obivous connection with the county that I can work out. Wouldn't the logical thing be to try his hand with his home county????????? but of course he chucked his toys out of the pram there in the past and they ain't exactly done all that badly without him and a few others.

cavan4ever

If he has the right attitude he will b a g8t addition to the squad. the forward last year were pretty miserable with there shooting so hopefully rory can show them how it done!!!!  Whats his best position?

liihb

Why would he join Cavan? I think a couple of reasons
1. He's mad to play county football...with anyone
2. Believebelieves version is one I've heard before....and seems the most widely accepted. I think his bridges have been burnt with Fermanagh while Mulgrew is in charge, and he will be for the next few years
3. I think probably Cavan because of the McHugh connection
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

believebelive

My point is that he chose not to play for Fermanagh in 2003 and 2004 and he had seemingly no falling out with any of the managers at that time?
I don't know his reasons for not playing in those years as i don't know the man but it does seem that he picks and chooses what years to commit Would he have came back to Fermanagh had they not had a successful year in 2004?
Look - i dont like all this emphasis on individuals although it does seem to be rife in discussion boards - this is nothing more than innuendo. As far as i'm concerned i wish him all the best and hope he can enjoy his football there.