Maigh Eo v Corcaigh, 1600, 3ú Lúnasa, Páirc an Crocaigh

Started by macdanger2, July 27, 2014, 12:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 27, 2014, 01:57:47 PM
Nor me. He has a body type that's top heavy but I don't think there is any question he is over weight.

He's just a burly lad that isn't particularly tall.

You would have to question what the aims of Cork's S&C programs have been over the last half decade, they've consistently produced big, strong and immobile players, particularly at the back.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2014, 01:12:29 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 27, 2014, 01:05:15 AM
I have a bad feeling about this one.

Why?

Sure who have Mayo beat this year really. A team who doesn't play in the leagues at all, a team that got promoted from Division 3 and a team who nearly got relegated from Division 2. Cork know what it's like to play Division 1 teams having already played against Kerry.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

not sure about Hurley's physique, but he was poor yesterday, as i mentioned in one blog yesterday, he was unchallenged bearing down on centre of goal near the end and kicked it poorly wide of his left.

Make no mistake this will be a battle, i believe mayo are better, but Cork backs were most likely not just setting up for games yesterday, but also for rest of championship, given the hammering they got from Kerry. It is up to Mayo to figure a way around it, you might be a little concerned if you use Roscommon as a benchmark for how we set up against a packed defense. Tom Cuniffe who appears to be doubtful, will be a loss.

Still a mayo win, already excited as I will be there in the flesh to see Mayo progress.

Whitnail

Quote from: larryin89 on July 27, 2014, 01:36:09 PM
What amazes me about analysis and bucks in general giving their predictions is they never hold their hands up if they get it completely wrong and furthermore try to spin the result as if they knew it could happen re the Donegal q/f last year.

Now what happens if Mayo fookin romp home destroying Cork by 10 points plus, does everyone in the country just give up on predicting results .

Mayo to win by 13 points is my prediction , Cork are absolutely useless.

In fairness Larry ,Mayo were a few dodgy frees away from loosing to Ross.
I remember reading that thread cause of your  prediction!

"my prediction, Mayo to absolutely hammer the ross, i dont
even think ross will score, truly believe Mayo will fuckin
destroy them beyond anything ever witnessed before in this
fixture.
Mayo   7-23 ross 0-00"

Can't remember you putting your hand up afterwards either!

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 27, 2014, 04:36:56 PM

Why?

Sure who have Mayo beat this year really. A team who doesn't play in the leagues at all, a team that got promoted from Division 3 and a team who nearly got relegated from Division 2. Cork know what it's like to play Division 1 teams having already played against Kerry.

Cork managed to make hard work of a game they'd won at half-time yesterday. A team Galway beat equally handily.

Mayo are better and unless Cork show consistency they haven't this year, last year or indeed any year apart from 2010 then Mayo will win. The only worry I'd have is CO'N and Hurley both having career days, Mayo's defence looked a bit shakey this season. That said, Cork's defence is way worse and their solution to that problem yesterday was four or five men very deep. Your HBs would love that.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

hairyUlsterman

Remmeber this overweight dual player for Derry?

http://c1.thejournal.ie/media/2013/07/geoffrey-mcgonigle-2862003-630x471.jpg

He set up the winning goal in 1998 Ulster Final, he had a great burst of speed when bearing down on goal, like a bull dozer

http://youtu.be/IEM8dwy0030?t=6m6s

beer baron

Quote from: hairyUlsterman on July 27, 2014, 07:27:09 PM
Remmeber this overweight dual player for Derry?

http://c1.thejournal.ie/media/2013/07/geoffrey-mcgonigle-2862003-630x471.jpg

He set up the winning goal in 1998 Ulster Final, he had a great burst of speed when bearing down on goal, like a bull dozer

http://youtu.be/IEM8dwy0030?t=6m6s

He actually came into my head yesterday when i seen the Tipp Goalie.

highorlow

Cubert was very defensive in todays newstalk interview. He was coming out with stuff like "what happens in the panel stays in the panel" without even getting asked about trouble in the camp.

Whats the story there? If he keeps the same team will it be 4 debutants to croker for them?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

macdanger2

Quote from: beer baron on July 27, 2014, 12:59:55 PM
Hurley fat? Ah here would ya quit,he's a brute of a lad but no fat on him and as someone said above it's hard to see him going another game without making a decent contribution on the scoreboard. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cork beat Mayo next week,still some excellent players in there especially in the forwards. I'd be tempted to back them at 2/1. Anyone know what the spread is?

If it stays @ 2/1, cork will probably be +2 @ 11/10

From the Bunker

Why?

Ah Farr, who ya meet and who ya beat are of little consequence. If we are good enough, you are good enough. If we are not, well better now to lose than traipsing into a semi final or final and coming up short again. I personally think we will have too much for Cork. But Cork thought the same thing 3 years ago and look what happened to them!

Mayo4Sam

Why?

Who do you want them to have beaten? Sure they can only play to the fixture list

Ian O'Riordan seems to have been watching a different game to the one I saw in Tullamore

Eye-catching Cork victory sets up Mayo quarter-final

Impressive performance bodes well for crunch game in Croke Park

Ian O'Riordan

Cork 0-21 Sligo 1-11

Verse one of Cork's redemption song is now neatly and predictably written and the second stanza will shift to a completely different tempo.

Here, it was not just the ease with which they beat Sligo – setting up an All-Ireland quarter-final showdown with Mayo – but the manner of the victory. Gone was the flaky, lethargic look of their Munster final defeat to Kerry, replaced by a stubborn intent and especially so in defence.

Most of the time they played with two or three sweepers. And on other occasions flooded men behind the ball whenever Sligo briefly held possession. It wasn't spectacular to watch, although it was effective. Sligo hardly got a look in. And whenever Cork shifted the ball forward, Colm O'Neill (who finished with 0-10) and Donal Óg Hodnett licked it up, as did Brian Hurley and Paul Kerrigan (who added 0-5).

Vital victory The only worry for Cork, it seems, is whether they've blown their cover, revealing exactly what Mayo will confront in Croke Park on Sunday.

"We were under so much pressure coming into this match we just had to win it, by hook or by crook," said manager Brian Cuthbert.

"So showing a hand? I don't know. All we wanted to do was to get back into Croke Park. Whatever way we got there didn't really matter. I suppose our confidence, our character, everything else about us, was questioned after the Kerry game. So we changed the system, it worked quite well for us, and provided a lot more cover for us at the back."

Indeed Cork played from back to front – huge amounts of ball fed through the midfield pairing of Aidan Walsh and young Ian Maguire, who had an excellent debut. Sligo found themselves eight points down at the break. And although they salvaged some pride when Stephen Coen fisted in a goal on 51 minutes, brilliantly set up by Adrian Marren, that proved a minor flaw in Cork's fortress of a defence.

"Yeah, we're disappointed we gave away the goal," added Cuthbert. "But when it comes to games, the set-up going in sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. You've to take each team on its merits. And Mayo will cause us lots of different problems, with their size and their football.

"We went up to Castlebar, in the league and they decimated us to be honest. They're a very experienced team, very physical. And that's an area we're going to suffer on because we're not a huge side. Now the turnaround is so quick as well so we'll have to see what their strengths and weaknesses are and come up with something. But we're very happy to be there."

Kerrigan was certainly back to his old form (his fisted point back in vogue too) and Daniel Goulding, Fintan Goold and Damien Cahalane all came off the bench (Cahalahe added a point also) as a reminder of Cork's depth. Thomas Clancy and Eoin Cadogan were almost menacing in the way they cleared some ball and in the end it was little wonder that Sligo scored no more than 1-5 from play.

Disappointed Sligo "We were just trying to break that momentum, keep them on the back foot," said Sligo manager Pat Flanagan, with an understandable air of resignation. "In fairness the boys never gave up, but we'll have to take stock again, assess the situation and see where we're at."

Flanagan also reiterated his fear that the championship format – provincial and qualifier – does little to favour counties like Sligo.

"There has to a better way, but no one seems to want to know about it. It's very difficult for the players, and people like myself, to try to keep driving on every year," said Flanagan.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

I think Mayo are going to give it a massive lash this year so Mayo by 4.  Turnovers, intinsity off the shoulder,  runners, blankets, all those words and then some .

Canalman

This will be very close imo. Cork's 1st half performance in League semi final cannot be overlooked . Their 2nd half has been well documented.
Might pop into this game in CP. Two cracking games on the cards I think.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.