AI U21 Championship

Started by Dinny Breen, April 06, 2013, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: galwayman on April 06, 2013, 10:29:38 PM
Mulholland is involved in the background team for the u21s this year alright.

I thought I read somewhere that Kildare had up to ten u21s playing for the seniors against Mayo in the league a few weeks ago.Would that be right or was it an exaggeration?
They seem to be very highly rated anyway

Four of them started against Mayo - Mark Donnellan, Niall Kelly, Daniel Flynn and Paddy Brophy. Two more came on as subs - Fionn Dowling and David Hyland.

Of the u21 team that started against Longford 12 have played with the seniors at some stage. In the case of Johnny Byrne and Mick Konstantin that was only as subs in the O'Byrne Cup and David Hyland has only made one league appearance as a sub. Others like Moolick, Fogarty and Dowling have plenty of experience with the seniors. They were on the senior panel as far back as 2010 when they were still minors and Dowling started two championship matches for the seniors back in 2011. They're a talented bunch but their involvement with the seniors says as much about Kildare's lack of depth and injury problems at senior level in recent years.

Brophy and Flynn were at AFL trials in England this afternoon so McGeeney isn't the only one that has spotted their talent. I'm sure Kildare will be a short price for this match but this grade is notoriously unpredictable. The standard in Leinster could have been awful this year for all we know and Galway could have been beating better teams in Mayo and Roscommon.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Dunno why lads bother with that AFL craic anymore to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Jinxy on April 06, 2013, 10:56:29 PM
Dunno why lads bother with that AFL craic anymore to be honest.

Or vice-versa.

ross4life

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 06, 2013, 10:55:09 PM
Quote from: galwayman on April 06, 2013, 10:29:38 PM
Mulholland is involved in the background team for the u21s this year alright.

I thought I read somewhere that Kildare had up to ten u21s playing for the seniors against Mayo in the league a few weeks ago.Would that be right or was it an exaggeration?
They seem to be very highly rated anyway

Four of them started against Mayo - Mark Donnellan, Niall Kelly, Daniel Flynn and Paddy Brophy. Two more came on as subs - Fionn Dowling and David Hyland.

Of the u21 team that started against Longford 12 have played with the seniors at some stage. In the case of Johnny Byrne and Mick Konstantin that was only as subs in the O'Byrne Cup and David Hyland has only made one league appearance as a sub. Others like Moolick, Fogarty and Dowling have plenty of experience with the seniors. They were on the senior panel as far back as 2010 when they were still minors and Dowling started two championship matches for the seniors back in 2011. They're a talented bunch but their involvement with the seniors says as much about Kildare's lack of depth and injury problems at senior level in recent years.

Brophy and Flynn were at AFL trials in England this afternoon so McGeeney isn't the only one that has spotted their talent. I'm sure Kildare will be a short price for this match but this grade is notoriously unpredictable. The standard in Leinster could have been awful this year for all we know and Galway could have been beating better teams in Mayo and Roscommon.

I know for a fact you beat a very good Longford side. Galway are not standard of 2011,2005 or 2002 but they have beaten two good sides in Mayo and ourselves though age wise Kildare should have the more experienced team.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Galway have plenty of flair but Kildare have added real steel to their side this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 07, 2013, 12:33:58 AM
Galway have plenty of flair but Kildare have added real steel to their side this year.

So the Maroons are  fancy dans?

Dinny Breen

We hope to have our new prototype goalie available for the Semi-Final, currently been tested out by Messi

New Baby Bot sponsored by Japanese Gardens
#newbridgeornowhere

Ohtoohtobe

I'd be worried that Galway's forwards could do serious damage because I feel we might be a little weak at the back, even though Byrne and Hyland are excellent defenders. We've been so dominant at midfield that our defence hasn't been that well tested, except perhaps early on against Meath, when we were conceding regularly before Hurley was introduced to the middle.
So I'd expect a high-scoring game, more excited than confident because as other posters pointed out it's impossible to predict how two provincial winners at this grade will measure up to each other. Should be a cracking match.

GalwayBayBoy

Some size of lads on that Kildare team alright on TG4 now. Look twice the size of the Longford team.

AZOffaly

That's the white jerseys. Kildare always look like a huge team.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2013, 08:58:30 PM

Maybe but they genuinely do look very big and imposing and I think the height and weight stats back it up. That said Longford certainly put it up to them despite the physical disadvantage.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 08, 2013, 09:06:30 PM

Maybe but they genuinely do look very big and imposing and I think the height and weight stats back it up. That said Longford certainly put it up to them despite the physical disadvantage.

Size was a disadvantage last Wednesday as well as we had at one stage given away 9 frees for every 3 awarded.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

trileacman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 08, 2013, 09:06:30 PM

Met them in Coppers, not that big at all.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014