All Ireland Minor Football Championship 2012

Started by Rossfan, July 19, 2012, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2012, 10:24:15 AM
For me, and I'd say for most followers, apart from those directly involved, the minors are more about seeing prospects for the future than about winning the minor championship. From that point of view, it was an encouraging season for Meath. It was great to see skilful and big, strong, athletic, traditional Meath type footballers like Brian Power, Pádraic Harnan, Shane McEntee and Adam Flanagan manning the spine of the defence and midfield. I'd be a little concerned that no really top-class forward seemed to emerge, though Cillian O'Sullivan has plenty of ability and will improve with both physical and mental maturity and Fiachra Ward, though very quiet yesterday, had a good year and seems to be a proper footballer too.

What club is Flanagan with?  The reason I ask is because his brother was playing midfield for Westmeath minors a few years ago, and played for St.Loman's. He now plays rugby for Leinster. Family may have moved?

Onlooker

Quote from: Hound on September 24, 2012, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: Declan on September 24, 2012, 09:52:55 AM
Well done to the baby Dubs. Poor enough game but any all-ireland win is to be treasured
Yeah, delighted with the win. That was quite a famine ended. I wonder how many different counties have won a minor All Ireland since our previous one??

Very interesting question.  I checked the records and no less than 13 counties have won a Minor All Ireland since Dublin's last win in 1984 - Mayo, Galway (2), Down (3), Kerry (2), Derry (2), Meath (2), Cork (3), Westmeath, Laois (3), Tyrone (5), Roscommon, Armagh, Tipperary.  A great spread of counties which makes the Minor Championship so interesting.  Only Laois in 1996 and 1997 won 2 titles back to back.

Hardy

Quote from: shark on September 24, 2012, 12:02:19 PM
For me, and I'd say for most followers, apart from those directly involved, the minors are more about seeing prospects for the future than about winning the minor championship. From that point of view, it was an encouraging season for Meath. It was great to see skilful and big, strong, athletic, traditional Meath type footballers like Brian Power, Pádraic Harnan, Shane McEntee and Adam Flanagan manning the spine of the defence and midfield. I'd be a little concerned that no really top-class forward seemed to emerge, though Cillian O'Sullivan has plenty of ability and will improve with both physical and mental maturity and Fiachra Ward, though very quiet yesterday, had a good year and seems to be a proper footballer too.

What club is Flanagan with?  The reason I ask is because his brother was playing midfield for Westmeath minors a few years ago, and played for St.Loman's. He now plays rugby for Leinster. Family may have moved?

He's with Clonard, so he's dangerously close to being one of the separated brethren.

Syferus

Completely disagree. U21 is a far better championship to judge senior prospects by, minor is at least the third most prestigious football tournament played in any given year and the hope of supporters and players should be to win the blasted thing. The vast majority of these players won't ever get close to the senior county team, this is about a bunch of 16-18 year-old fulfilling a life's ambition. A winning team gives alot more to a county that a team with a few raw diamonds suffering through poor results.

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

camanchero

Clonard- is he a brother of Mark ?
his cousin plays for lenster too- devan toner.
The flanagans were all massive hoors,but not an ounce of sport in them - which is why the two lads playing rugby dont surprise me, though Adam was midfield in Clonards junior championship final win last year - obv a 17 year old then ! good prospect. Schooled there by coach Kevin foley.

shark

Quote from: camanchero on September 24, 2012, 01:56:39 PM

Clonard- is he a brother of Mark ?
his cousin plays for lenster too- devan toner.
The flanagans were all massive hoors,but not an ounce of sport in them - which is why the two lads playing rugby dont surprise me, though Adam was midfield in Clonards junior championship final win last year - obv a 17 year old then ! good prospect. Schooled there by coach Kevin foley.

I heard they were brothers alright.  Mark was an impressive enough minor, actually had a fair bit of football in him.  Doing well at the rugby now, so fair dues to him. 

Declan

The dublin minors team after they won the all ireland cup, they went out on a session and found daniel radcliffe and he went back to the after part party - good man Harry Potter

Syferus

Well, at least they're not kicking down the high street in Tuam.

AZOffaly

In other news, David Power has stepped down as manager of Tipperary Minors. Big shoes there for the next man to fill. I'd say Davey is a lock for the Under 21 job as he continues his progression. Peter Creedon has been confirmed as the Senior Boss.

blanketattack

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 24, 2012, 08:23:12 AM
Quote from: agorm on September 23, 2012, 04:34:30 PM
Well done Dublin. Best team all year. one thing for sure, Dublin wont be waiting another 28 years for their next minor championship.

Why not?  Winning an All Ireland title one year doesn't mean you are suddenly going to win them regularly.

I think he's right. With the way so much time and money have gone into the Dublin underage structures, Dublin underage football is in a very healthy state,not just at u18 level but all the way down and I think they'll definitely win minor All-Irelands on a more regular basis.

Dublin won the "Tiger Slam "of Gaelic Football by being reigning minor, u21 and senior champions for a brief period last Sunday. Last team to win all 3 was Kerry in 1975.